Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think it is the smaller class size.

There are 12 students in niece's class.
That's probably true, but small class size is not universally true of private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It's largely anecdotal, I'm sorry -- I don't have any real statistics on it.
Fair enough, said for context.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think it is the smaller class size.

There are 12 students in niece's class.
Catholic schools in S. Fl have large classes, just like the public schools. In addition, their teachers are not always state certified. Yet, Catholic school students do often out perform public schools students. The reason for that is the parents of Catholic school students are invested in their children's educations, as are the parents of almost all private school students.

The difference between public and private schools is not the quality of the teachers, facilities, administrations, etc, but rather the quality of the parenting that private school students receive. Good parenting = good student achievement, whether the student is private or public.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Catholic schools in S. Fl have large classes, just like the public schools. In addition, their teachers are not always state certified. Yet, Catholic school students do often out perform public schools students. The reason for that is the parents of Catholic school students are invested in their children's educations, as are the parents of almost all private school students.

The difference between public and private schools is not the quality of the teachers, facilities, administrations, etc, but rather the quality of the parenting that private school students receive. Good parenting = good student achievement, whether the student is private or public.
Too true.

I was thinking of a particular "Christian" high school in my area that simply does not offer what the public high schools can offer in terms of AP classes and the like.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:04 PM

531 posts, read 338,368 times
Quote:

I disagree. I went to public school my whole life. I was in a school built for a capacity of 2000 thats had close to 5000. The problem is much more then parents in nyc at least. the problem is

teachers must follow a curriculum giving no room for creativity
The system is designed to keep the smart kids at pace with the dumb kids
there is nobody stopping you from never going to school
Busing in kids from dangerous neighborhoods makes it that every public school is bad and filled with gangs
Teachers don't care about or sometimes even know the kids
teachers think its all about them and not the kids
teachers are nothing but babysitters
In my opinion most teachers can't teach. No amount of school can turn you into a teacher in my opinion thats a natural ability.
teachers who know nothing about the kids there teaching(some suburban white lady teaching to a bunch of poor black kids from the projects) I think you have to relate to the kids to reach them.
I think there is no way most female teachers can relate to a teenage boy.
Not enough math, science. and again they keep the smart kids at stupid levels
Liberals are way to nice to kids and give them way to many excuses.
We treat hardcore criminals like there baby's because it would be non pc to call them out. Meanwhile there robbing kids all day.
Schools only care about helping bad poor kids but not poor good kids. They spend all there time helping a crack dealer but never focus on the kid who never sold crack.
Again they fill are heads with excuses.
Private schools are generally on top of kids much more. That's why there better. You can't **** around as much. In my school you can leave wenever you want. Some kids NEVER went to any class. Private schools will call your house. Private schools make sure you do your homework. i think we need to send the smart kids to learn really advanced stuff and teach the dumb kids skills. Teach dumb kids plumbing, construction etc. etc. Me and my friends would have benifitted more from that. Then atleast we would have left high school with a life skill we could use. And last but not least i think teachers should be allowed to beat a students ass if he acts out (with parents permission).

Old 08-02-2010, 12:17 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can that statement be true? Well the Education Czar said in a speech not long ago that schools should be running 11 or 12 months for 11 to 12 hours per day. Yep, we don't have our kids in school long enough for them to keep up with the world's other kids. They need to be in school more total time with teachers who have read Alinsky's, Rules for Radicals as is suggested by the NEA.
What a retarded argument for a retarded partisan reason. The reality is once you take out the lunch break, the two 15 minute breaks, the various passing time between classes all your average American student is actually in class is for 4 hours 45 minutes per day five days a week. That's the least amount of classroom time per day of any industrialized nation and to make matters worse we have the shortest school year with the fewest number of school days as well.

If we want American kids to do better they simply need more classroom time, smaller class sizes, and more school days. That's just reality. So we can continue being having the worst educational system in the 1st world or we can take serious steps to improve it.

Something tells me Roy really doesn't value education very much though.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
I disagree. I went to public school my whole life. I was in a school built for a capacity of 2000 thats had close to 5000. The problem is much more then parents in nyc at least. the problem is

teachers must follow a curriculum giving no room for creativity
The system is designed to keep the smart kids at pace with the dumb kids
there is nobody stopping you from never going to school
Busing in kids from dangerous neighborhoods makes it that every public school is bad and filled with gangs
Teachers don't care about or sometimes even know the kids
teachers think its all about them and not the kids
teachers are nothing but babysitters
In my opinion most teachers can't teach. No amount of school can turn you into a teacher in my opinion thats a natural ability.
teachers who know nothing about the kids there teaching(some suburban white lady teaching to a bunch of poor black kids from the projects) I think you have to relate to the kids to reach them.
I think there is no way most female teachers can relate to a teenage boy.
Not enough math, science. and again they keep the smart kids at stupid levels
Liberals are way to nice to kids and give them way to many excuses.
We treat hardcore criminals like there baby's because it would be non pc to call them out. Meanwhile there robbing kids all day.
Schools only care about helping bad poor kids but not poor good kids. They spend all there time helping a crack dealer but never focus on the kid who never sold crack.
Again they fill are heads with excuses.
Private schools are generally on top of kids much more. That's why there better. You can't **** around as much. In my school you can leave wenever you want. Some kids NEVER went to any class. Private schools will call your house. Private schools make sure you do your homework. i think we need to send the smart kids to learn really advanced stuff and teach the dumb kids skills. Teach dumb kids plumbing, construction etc. etc. Me and my friends would have benifitted more from that. Then atleast we would have left high school with a life skill we could use. And last but not least i think teachers should be allowed to beat a students ass if he acts out (with parents permission).
Private schools can be "generally on top of kids much more" because the parents of those kids support the rules/regs of the school. If they don't, they will be asked to remove their student from the school. Public schools must accept - and keep - all students, and their oft times belligerent, argumentative parents.

The rest of your comments are gross generalizations. I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Private schools can be "generally on top of kids much more because the parents of those kids support the rules/regs of the school." If they don't, they will be asked to remove their student from the school. Public schools must accept - and keep - all students, and their oft times belligerent, argumentative parents.

The rest of your comments are gross generalizations. I'll leave it at that.
I disagree. My mom was plenty of top of me but during the day i was on my own. Trust me i know plenty of kids with good parents who did bad in school. Gross generalizations based on my time in school. Unless you went to a public nyc school in the last 5-10 years I don't think you could really make an informed opinion about my point's.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Kids with bad parents go to private school as well (scholorships)

Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 PM

But I agree parents are PART of the equation of course but all they could do is push the kid in the right direction. The rest is up to the kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies