Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times

Advertisements

Would not leave the schools open just shift the cost to property owners??

Here in Michigan we vote on millage to run the schools.

Of course, there is money coming from the federal goverment though the state.

This fall one of our nicest school systems will be closing five or six schools and laying off a good deal of staff.

They also have privatized the cleaning of the schools.

Just how will this extra be paid for???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
After hours in our one gym high school is well after 8:00 pm. They rotate the boys and girls teams one beginning at 4:00 to 6 and the other going from 6 - 8 during basketball season. I guess those kids who could be playing could do so in the halls, but I know what they would be doing and it isn't constructive play.

During volleyball season they practice till at least 6:00 and do extra work after practice.

I guess we can't allow that kind of stuff in small schools. Even our junior high teams have to practice in their gyms the same way.
I'm thinking mostly of elementary schools when talking about gyms. Why not offer "open gym"? Certainly school programs should have first priority. I'm also talking about libraries.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

This fall one of our nicest school systems will be closing five or six schools and laying off a good deal of staff.

That extra is part of the reason for the schools being closed. It is a shame but what has happened in the past few years has led to too many closings. Here in Kansas there was a time when individual districts supplied all the money, themselves. Then the state legislature weaseled in and sure people took the money with all the strings. Then the feds did the same thing to the states and the states took the money and played their game on the locals with that money. It is a mess now and if we could get the feds out of it completely, as the Constitution calls for, the states would take care of it one way or another.

The reason I want the feds out of it is that we need to get rid of the cabinet level Department of Education which would serve to get the hands of the NEA out of the majority of things. I did a lot of reading to get something for Memphis1979 today and found one site that is kind of a history of the NEA through its entire existence and by the 1990s they thought they were nearly in control. That is why they suggest that all members read Alinsky's book for radicals. I could go to our school and show you the ones who had read the damned thing and those who haven't but so few parents know this is going on. It is sad.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am sure that the NEA agrees with you but for different reasons than you provide. Hear the video I put up some time ago and tell me that the union is really worried about what is best for children.
I was a teacher for 37 years and a union member for less than 10. Florida is a RTW state and the NEA/FEA really doesn't wield much power down here. I don't share your awe of union power...

Old 08-01-2010, 03:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

There is not much federal money in education. I said earlier, this would cost money. A funding source would have to be found. It might involve paying a para-pro to supervise the gym and/or library.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:12 PM

531 posts, read 338,297 times
There are two seperate arguments going on here and in my opinion both are right. Kids CAN benefit from a long school day and year IF the schools weren't indoctrinating the kids(which they are) people who don't like the schools being open longer as yourself is it the idea you don't like, or is it the school system in general

Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
There are two seperate arguments going on here and in my opinion both are right. Kids CAN benefit from a long school day and year IF the schools weren't indoctrinating the kids(which they are) people who don't like the schools being open longer as yourself is it the idea you don't like, or is it the school system in general
I'd like proof of said indoctrination.

I've heard it mentioned several times, and a few teachers reading a book for whatever reason, doesn't an argument make.

One of my teachers had us read "The Grapes of Wrath" and she was called "anti-Christian" for doing so.

Context adds much to everything.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
I do not want the schools to become a babysitting service.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
I do not want the schools to become a babysitting service.
And I'm not suggesting that they are. I'm suggesting that they teach year around, you know that place where our kids go for 8 months out of the year. That thing we pay teachers for.

I don't even care if its 5 days a week, for 52 weeks a year. Two week periodic breaks are a good thing, but the extended 3 to 4 month break every year hurts our kids, or didn't you read the studies I posted earlier?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:19 PM

531 posts, read 338,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'd like proof of said indoctrination.

I've heard it mentioned several times, and a few teachers reading a book for whatever reason, doesn't an argument make.

One of my teachers had us read "The Grapes of Wrath" and she was called "anti-Christian" for doing so.

Context adds much to everything.
I don't need evidence I know what i experienced. You don't have to believe me.
You can disagree and thats fine. In my opinion school is very indoctrinating and college takes it to a whole new level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies