Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

Glenn Beck is playing a character with a personality and a style that is laser focused at the souls of an intended audience. It doesn't take many minutes of viewing his television show to see that he's mashing up the most effective and successful aspects of Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones and '60s Bircher author Cleon Skousen, and filtering it all through the performance techniques of a televangelist.
Bob Cesca: Exposing Glenn Beck as a Dangerous Fraud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Somebody should have told that to those in attendance....

YouTube - What We Saw at the Glenn Beck Rally in DC
You can't see my reply but others can and I want to say that I agree with the interviewer about what actually took place there yesterday. The black woman at 2:45 told him what was wrong with calling her an African-American very well and turned out to be an independent.

Darn it, meson I would have to give you a rep point for this post even if there is a chance that you didn't really know what you had posted. However, I can't rep someone who has me on ignore.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
The rally was HUGE.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Glenn Beck is playing a character with a personality and a style that is laser focused at the souls of an intended audience. It doesn't take many minutes of viewing his television show to see that he's mashing up the most effective and successful aspects of Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones and '60s Bircher author Cleon Skousen, and filtering it all through the performance techniques of a televangelist.
Is it possible for me to skip this link since it is so obvious what it is all about? Well I will skip it until you send out the left leaning police to enforce the reading of it.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I get that feeling too.

I feel like such an outsider sometimes and totally can't relate to the appeal of Beck/Palin. I wasn't wrapped up in Obama fever either in case anyone cares. I've always been resistant to magnetic preachers, dynamic speakers, group think, etc. and have been accused in the past of having a hardened heart, no feelings, lack of emotion, and more. I also avoid crowded gatherings even if I appreciate the reason behind it because I don't like seeing people "caught up" in anything. I don't ever want to be "caught up" in anything either. The worst thing in the world someone could say about me is that "she is a huge follower of....". I know I'm weird, most people crave that sort of thing but I IMMEDIATELY see red flags when anyone holds that much sway over others.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:53 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
LOL you are ridiculously funny!
if you find the truth funny, i suppose. i note for the record that you didn't deny it.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:02 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
The mainstream media is going berserk over Beck's rally. It was a peaceful rally with no racist signs to photograph and send to Huffington Post so they don't know how to report on it other than to fudge around with attendance numbers and claim it had no bite, or whatever. Beck wins again without even trying.

Also, thanks to their support of the Ground Zero victory mosque the mainstream media has inadvertently cut its own tongue out, knowing they cannot complain about Beck's "insensitive" rally on the day and in the same place of MLK's iconic 'I Have A Dream' speech.

Hypocrisy in the left's definition of 'tolerance'
"Commentators have noted the hypocrisy of those that claim that "sensitivity" has no place in the decision to build a Islamic center 2 blocks from ground zero, for them this is a constitutional issue. Many of those same pundits also think it is paramount to consider the "sensitivity" of some people if Glenn Beck chooses to exercise his first amendment rights. When Mr. Beck chooses a date for practical reasons, he is lambasted as being insensitive and told that he should move his event. His fellow Fox News host Greta Van Susteren had this to say on her blog: "Yes he has a First Amendment right to do it...but what about the wisdom of it? Glenn should move his event. It does not help heal the country on so many fronts if we poke a stick in eyes." Isn't this the same argument used by those that opposed the building of the ground zero Islamic center? An argument, not over constitutionality, but of propriety?"

Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Here's some of the best signs I've seen from the rally thus far!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It was to benefit children of fallen soldiers.

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am sure it will be published.

BTW, I had to give $0.
It sounds like a legit charity and it sounds it's well run. I do have difficulty understanding the connection though. He wasn't charging anything so I don't get how it was a fund-raiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
it was a different class of people. These people were tax payers, I think.
LOL! I think the real difference was that this was a group of older folks who pay more attention to picking up their trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The financial statements of 501(c)3 organizations are available to anyone. Why so snarky and unwilling to do your own homework? Are you so unwilling to acknowledge the amount of charity funds provided by Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, and other conservative talk-show hosts? Why wouldn't you want the children of our men and women in uniform to benefit from Beck's event?

Please answer Driller1's question: why do you hate these children?
I don't think anyone said they did hate these kids. I think a lot of us question the ulterior motive in raising money in this manner.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
The guesstimates of the numbers were quite varied to say the least!

Quote:
Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), offered the biggest figure. Shortly after the event, the
Washington Post reports, she said, "We're not going to let anyone get away with saying there
were less than a million here today - because we were witnesses."
Crowd estimates at Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally depend dramatically on who you ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies