Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM

10 posts, read 9,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
Seems to me that your screename doesn't fit you at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I want to hear valid points as to why a mosque cannot be built there. Not that it shouldn't be built. I understand how offensive it may be to the survivors and I feel for them, but legally speaking, why can't they build there?
A great gesture to the survivors (and many others) would be to conduct a thorough investigation of all the events of Sept 11, 2001. Not a sham job like the one that exists.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
OK, I have a problem with people who have a problem with there being a ground zero mosque. What exactly is the argument against it being built?

I understand that unfortunately for many Christians, the country they reside in is a country with NO one religion. We have 1 national tree, we have 1 national bird, but we do NOT have 1 national religion.
Simple. They've been calming that they're building this mosque in the name of
peace and tolerance but have caused negative reaction and opposition.
They've been politely asked to move the location but they haven't budged.
Do they have the right to build it there? Most likely, yes. Should they? Probably no.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times
I am sure that the majority of people on the left practice Christianity. Just because some do not wish to force their beliefs on everyone else does not make them anti-Christian. It is quite hypocrytical to shout about freedom and our constitution and then to belittle people that do not share the same beliefs as yourself.

Why is it that all the nut jobs that do things like burn Korans or say that they don't want gay people attending their churches are Conservatives? How can you call yourself a Christian and say that you do not want certain people at your church? That is such a contradiction of what Christianity is about. Christianity preaches forgiveness, tolerance and love. Yet some so-called Christians are the most unforgiving, intolerant, hateful people that I know. Jesus would not have an issue with gay people going to his church, yet there are people calling themselves Christian that do. This is why I don't go to church because I don't wish to align myself with people like this.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Jesus wouldn't even teach in a church. He taught in a robe by the mountain side or by a river. Those were ancient times. And if you want to be a real Christian then get with it and start living "anciently." Get rid of your televisions, get rid of your cars, stop focusing on money, stop over-eating, attend an outdoor church by a river or a field in a robe, etc.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
What percent of the left is the "ultra left"?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,020 times
Quote:
I think the ultra left is mostly concerned with holy rollers and individuals like soldiers or any other professional who bring religion into a place where it should not be. The ultra right Christian wing can also get just as nasty as the ultra left so grab some popcorn and let them feud it out.

I'm a popcorn muncher, but I must say, my hand sometimes freezes, with popped kernel and all, in mid air, when I read or hear some of what the holy rollers are spreading. A lot of it does seem very ugly. But I am assuming the holy rollers that thrive on judgement, hypocrisy and general hate are not the same folks who wear WWJD bracelets.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Because they don't buy into any religion; they think it is a crutch for the simple-minded.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because they don't buy into any religion; they think it is a crutch for the simple-minded.
I know a lot of Liberals that are Christian. I also know some that are Athiest and other religions as well. It is a myth that the majority of Liberals are not religious but Athiests are probably more likely to be Liberals.

Forcing people to choose science or religion and voting on single issues is a turn off to some. People tend to vote based on social beliefs and since the right has been overrun by the bible-thumping, anti-gay, anti-choice, anti-anything not a White Christian male, there is not much room for anyone else.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,020 times
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but the grammar in the post title is off and awkward:

"Why is the ultra left seem to be so anti christian?"

I've seen the left criticized on these forums for being obsessed with correcting spelling and grammar mistakes but come on, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies