Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Smoking pot is a crime. Racism and classism are not crimes therefore do not generate near as much shame or guilt.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Sure, pot smoking may be a crime, but I will deal with a dozen stoners easily over a couple of old school racists. Racism may not be a crime but it is indisputably more disgusting than the firing up of a joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
two words: tribalist thinking. it happens between all opposing groups, among all types of groups.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
I think they are against organized religion more so than Christianity particularly.

I am pretty far left, depending on the issue of course. I just don't approve of organized religion because of the mob mentality and gossipy judgmental behavior church ladies tend to exhibit.

Christian Churches have a habit of telling you how to vote, how to think, and what to do.

Intelligent people don't like that.

http://www.gallup-international.com/ContentFiles/millennium15.asp (broken link)
Who believes?
Most people say God is very important to them and it is their educational background which impacts on their beliefs. Fifty-two percent of college graduates are religious as against 54 percent of people with a high school education and 70 percent of those who only complete primary school. Likewise, women are more faithful than men (69 to 57 percent) and the elderly more than young and middle-aged people (63 to 59 to 56 percent respectively).

Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Having elevated yourself to a position of Constitutional Interpreter superior to that of Thomas Jefferson, I persist in my bemusement.

You are a really funny guy!

Are private letters from Jefferson to an associate equal to being written and ratified in the Constitution? Or even being "interpreted" by an often biased Supreme Court? Then perhaps I should enter some of my private letters into evidence to support my side of the debate?

I'm glad you are amused, because I don't think you're getting much else out of this.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Are private letters from Jefferson to an associate equal to being written and ratified in the Constitution?
No. But I was not comparing his letter to the Constitution. I was comparing his letter to your silly, simplistic and arguably solipsist post.

In such a comparison, you do not fare well.

Not well at all.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
You said the magic word when you said progressive. Those people happen to be nothing more than a bunch of communists and they both know that without religion being involved they can work their system on the rest of us. Very few people who have tried to do a good job of dictatorship have not used anti-religion as their main tool.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
t but this country was founded on christian values and a strong faith in God. most ultra liberals want to think that faith in God had no influence in the founding of these united states but thats just not true.

Which version of God was it founded by?

Catholic God?
Presbyterian God?
Lutheran God?
Baptist God?
Episcopalian God?
Anglican Church God?
Puritans God?
Shakers God?
Quakers God?
Mormon God?

Yes, God was a part of the founding of the country. SO obviously Catholics and Anglicans are not welcome here still, Right? Since that is why many people came to the new world, to find freedom from persecution because of their religious beliefs.

Yes, of course at the time Puritans had never heard of Buddha, Shiva, or Mohammed. But the point is, this country does not belong to any ONE religion's God, but to all the people's God, whichever one they believe in.

Puritan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Puritans by definition felt that the English Reformation had not gone far enough, and that the Church of England was tolerant of practices which they associated with the Catholic Church. They formed into and identified with various religious groups advocating greater "purity" of worship and doctrine, as well as personal and group piety. Puritans adopted a Reformed theology and in that sense were Calvinists (as many of their earlier opponents were, too), but also took note of radical views critical of Zwingli in Zurich and Calvin in Geneva. In church polity, some advocated for separation from all other Christians, in favor of autonomous gathered churches. These separatist and independent strands of Puritanism became prominent in the 1640s, when the supporters of a presbyterian polity in the Westminster Assembly were unable to forge a new English national church.

Separation of church and state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The concept of separating church and state is often credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke.[7] According to his principle of the social contract, Locke argued that the government lacked authority in the realm of individual conscience, as this was something rational people could not cede to the government for it or others to control. For Locke, this created a natural right in the liberty of conscience, which he argued must therefore remain protected from any government authority. These views on religious tolerance and the importance of individual conscience, along with his social contract, became particularly influential in the American colonies and the drafting of the United States Constitution.[8]
The concept was implicit in the flight of Roger Williams from religious oppression in Massachusetts to found what became Rhode Island on the principle of state neutrality in matters of faith. [9][10]

Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
wiseguy I'm talking about gay pride parades, and other events that are designed to get something from everyone else, or an attempt to justify their lifestyle, or to get society to accept them... Selfish and prideful if you ask me.
What a ridiculous and dumb post....IS the Mardis Gras Parade....which contains the 3 "B"s......BOOZE/BEADS/BOOBS....an attempt to get something from everyone else?????? Is it an attempt to justify that BOOZE/BEADS and BOOBS lifestyle?????? Or is it an attempt to get society to accept BOOZE/BEADS and BOOBS. Your post is ignorant and offensive!!!!! They are dang parades, which by nature are "over the top" and have participants in costumes etcetera; otherwise they'd be pretty boring..

Parade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
I'm tired of liberals (or at least the liberal political ideology) trying to tear down the industry of this country, making us dependent on other countries for our goods and services.
Blaming the liberals for making the United States dependent on other countries for goods and services is entirely misplaced. The people sending the jobs which provide goods and services overseas are CORPORATIONS. The people who benefit from the increased profits based on lower labor cost are the executives and investors. Those are the same executives and investors who have seen their income increase the most in the last decade while middle class wages have remained stagnant. By the way these people are also the biggest beneficiaries of the Bush tax cuts. Most of these corporations are going to continue to ship jobs overseas and these are the same people that want to the Republican Party to keep their tax cuts in place permanently.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
I agree. Parades are supposed to be over the top and wacky. I wouldn't go to a parade if people in khaki pants and polo t-shirts were being featured. I want a lot of color and a lot of wackiness. Mardi Gra, All Souls Day, St. Patrick's Day, Carnaval South American Parades, Asian Pride Parades, Gay Pride Parade, etc. all feature wacky and colorful costumes and floats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
What a ridiculous and dumb post....IS the Mardis Gras Parade....which contains the 3 "B"s......BOOZE/BEADS/BOOBS....an attempt to get something from everyone else?????? Is it an attempt to justify that BOOZE/BEADS and BOOBS lifestyle?????? Or is it an attempt to get society to accept BOOZE/BEADS and BOOBS. Your post is ignorant and offensive!!!!! They are dang parades, which by nature are "over the top" and have participants in costumes etcetera; otherwise they'd be pretty boring..

Parade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies