Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

People get tattoos and piercings just like all their friends have...it shows how unique they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,407,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I'd consider it art

I've seen some really cool tatoos and the time invested
is huge not to mention the bucks

It is kinda funny as the body ages on some people
they just don't quite have the appeal as in their younger
years
Kind of reminds me of years ago when I was in the Legion hall having a beer. We were talking about Tattoo's and I said something about getting my 101st Airborne division tattoo. An old veteran said "Son, when it's finished you will have a "Screaming Eagle", when your my age you will have a "Pukin' Buzzard".

Don't know what it was but after some thought I passed on the tattoo. 30 years down the road I am glad I didn't as I have morphed from having the body of Schwartzenegger to Divito over time.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
I don't care for tattoos myself. I think they are ugly and deface the body. I also feel bad for people who get them as they are at risk for HIV, HEP C etc.

It can also be that the person getting a tattoo has a lack of judgement and foresight, and they give into peer pressure for what is cool or in at the time.

I also believe in 20 years all the children of these tattoo wearers will be completey repulsed by the sight of a tatoo and see it as a sign of their parents generation, and their bad judgement! Tatoos will be like wearing ones generation on their forehead, and not in a good way! A tattoo on old saggy skin is not a pretty sight!

That said I wouldn't let it be the sole reason I would or wouldn't hire someone in a business. Young people make mistakes. I would judge their character beyond a body marking.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
tattoos aren't that big of a deal, as long as they are in places that you can't see them. upper arm, ect.
True. But for some smart ones out there, they're drawn on to be seen. (Badge of honor or uniqueness, maybe? ------> )

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
People get tattoos and piercings just like all their friends have...it shows how unique they are.

So true, and funny. These days being unique means not having a tatoo...

Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't care for tattoos myself. I think they are ugly and deface the body. I also feel bad for people who get them as they are at risk for HIV, HEP C etc.

It can also be that the person getting a tattoo has a lack of judgement and foresight, and they give into peer pressure for what is cool or in at the time.

I also believe in 20 years all the children of these tattoo wearers will be completey repulsed by the sight of a tatoo and see it as a sign of their parents generation, and their bad judgement! Tatoos will be like wearing ones generation on their forehead, and not in a good way! A tattoo on old saggy skin is not a pretty sight!

That said I wouldn't let it be the sole reason I would or wouldn't hire someone in a business. Young people make mistakes. I would judge their character beyond a body marking.

Agreed with everything you said. I even agree with the last statement, however I'm running my business, and have some reluctance due to some of my clients. It's a domino effect.

I may be laxed about tatoos, but having a few of my workers/assistants all inked up doesn't look too good for the professional environment they'll be working in. (Requires some travelling and presentations). Appearance is just as important as skill in this business.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That was hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It backs up what I said about finding people for my company.

I guess some people use their bodies as a canvas, and think it's smart...
Well, down here in Austin TX ... if you refused to hire anyone with a tattoo, you'd be doing all the work yourself, or forced to break child labor laws.

But, the prejudice of some regarding tattoos is just a demonstration of false assumptions ... associating tattoos with unsavory characters ... prison tattoos, and such. But in reality, tattoos have a very long history ... dating at least 5000 years ... and were often status symbols.

At one point, tattoos were common among British Royalty ... but denied to commoners. War heroes, Kings, famous people from all corners have had tattoos.

Lots of kind, caring, thoughtful, honest, and talented people have tattoos, and lots of people of questionable character are tattoo-less.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Wow, is it time again for another 'bash people with tattoos' thread??

Yes, I have tattoos. I have one entire arm covered from my shoulder to just below my wrist. I've NEVER EVER had an issue getting or keeping a job. No, they weren't 'fast food' either... They've all been fairly high paid positions.

Tattoos can be really bad, or they can be really good, it completely depends on the artist and how you take care of it after the tattoo is applied. I don't tan, I wear sunscreen all the time and I take very very good care of my skin so my tattoos will stay nice for a good long time.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not many of my friends have tattoos. In fact, only 2 of my close friends have them...the rest are completely tattoo-less.

Sure, some people get tattoos to fit in, or to be accepted...but many do not.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:47 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wow, is it time again for another 'bash people with tattoos' thread??

Yes, I have tattoos. I have one entire arm covered from my shoulder to just below my wrist. I've NEVER EVER had an issue getting or keeping a job. No, they weren't 'fast food' either... They've all been fairly high paid positions.

Tattoos can be really bad, or they can be really good, it completely depends on the artist and how you take care of it after the tattoo is applied. I don't tan, I wear sunscreen all the time and I take very very good care of my skin so my tattoos will stay nice for a good long time.
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any posts bashing people with tattoos. I think we were giving our opinions regarding tattoos not "bashing."
I agree with the poster who said there are many kind, caring, decent people with tattoos and many characterless people without them.

May I ask why you decided to get one?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Well, down here in Austin TX ... if you refused to hire anyone with a tattoo, you'd be doing all the work yourself, or forced to break child labor laws.

But, the prejudice of some regarding tattoos is just a demonstration of false assumptions ... associating tattoos with unsavory characters ... prison tattoos, and such. But in reality, tattoos have a very long history ... dating at least 5000 years ... and were often status symbols.

At one point, tattoos were common among British Royalty ... but denied to commoners. War heroes, Kings, famous people from all corners have had tattoos.

Lots of kind, caring, thoughtful, honest, and talented people have tattoos, and lots of people of questionable character are tattoo-less.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I read about and watched documentaries about them.

Nowadays, it's the other way around.

They're so common royalty would probably care less about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies