Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times

Advertisements

Not everyone with a tattoo goes to prison, but everyone in prison has a tattoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:28 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Why do ya'll get tatoos? I don't understand. 'Splain' it to me!

Tatoos were popular in my parent's generation among military men (ww2 vets). Essentially NO ONE from my generation has a tatoo.

There was a remake of the movie "Cape Fear", in which Robert DeNiro removes his shirt and his back is covered in tatoos. There was a gasp in the movie theater (around 1982), as tatoos (particularly extensive tatoos) were freakish.

Now tatoos are very common among the younger generation. It is a fad and will pass, as it has before.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Before tattoos were so common those who got tattoos such as outlaw bikers honestly didn't care if anyone liked it or not, they probably liked the fact that others judged them for it. They had a true rebel personality type. They didn't want to fit into mainstream society.

Today it's a totally different situation and mindset. Not only will they get defensive if you say anything critical of tattoos, they will give you several examples of tattooed people who are doing well. They don't rebel against the mainstream , they embrace it. So unlike the outlaw biker of the past, today's tattooed are sensitive to criticism of tattoos.
So, if you get a tattoo you HAVE to be 'rebelling' against something?

Even those bikers (of which my Father is one) were fitting in with their own mainstream society. EVERYONE conforms, and nearly everyone is copying someone else.

And there's a difference between criticizing tattoos themselves (which I do all the time...people get stupid tattoos) and criticizing the person who has the tattoos. I don't get defensive when someone says 'some tattoos are ugly' but I do get a little defensive when someone says 'everyone with tattoos is a criminal/idiot/moron'. See the difference?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Tatoos were popular in my parent's generation among military men (ww2 vets). Essentially NO ONE from my generation has a tatoo.

There was a remake of the movie "Cape Fear", in which Robert DeNiro removes his shirt and his back is covered in tatoos. There was a gasp in the movie theater (around 1982), as tatoos (particularly extensive tatoos) were freakish.

Now tatoos are very common among the younger generation. It is a fad and will pass, as it has before.
It's a 'fad' that has been going on for thousands of years. As a tattooed person, I do wish that less people would get tattoos because it's irritating getting lumped in with little Britni who has a butterfly on her lower back and Chad who has tribal on his arm.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Here's a novel idea; If you don't like tattoos, then don't get one.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Then is a person to put out their eyes so as not to be offended by the sight of tattoo on another person??

Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
We don't. But that's like saying "If you don't like profanity, then don't use it." People offended by profanity aren't the ones using it, they're subjected to the "free expression" of other people.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Then is a person to put out their eyes so as not to be offended by the sight of tattoo on another person??
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
We don't. But that's like saying "If you don't like profanity, then don't use it." People offended by profanity aren't the ones using it, they're subjected to the "free expression" of other people.

Oh puhlease! I don't like men wearing white shoes, I don't like mullets, or bad hair dye jobs, I hate those cutesy Christmas sweaters. Guess what, it has nothing to do with me how people dress, do their hair, or adorn their bodies. If you don't like someone else's tattoo, and that's the biggest problem in your day, you are lucky.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You're seriously offended by the mere sight of a tattoo on another persons body?

Wow.

Although, is it weird that I'm slightly happy that I'm able to offend someone so easily?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:21 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:

Oh puhlease! I don't like men wearing white shoes, I don't like mullets, or bad hair dye jobs, I hate those cutesy Christmas sweaters. Guess what, it has nothing to do with me how people dress, do their hair, or adorn their bodies. If you don't like someone else's tattoo, and that's the biggest problem in your day, you are lucky.
But we don't ask you to please associate with those people either. Yet, people with tattoos want to be accepted by other people. They feel that they shouldn't be shunned...whereas I don't see an issue with shunning anyone you don't want around you or in your life.

If you make a choice, and we don't agree with that choice, it's our prerogative not to associate with you or be around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies