Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times

Advertisements

A couple of spaces in a parking lot, and people go off the deep end here...

I take care of a handicapped person in my home. An old friend of mine. And my sacrifice keeps them out of a nursing home. I spend 90% of my free time with them.

Not all of that time is actually attending to them...But, it is staying with them, and keeping an eye on them.

And I'm one of the healthy looking people you see parking in a handicap spot, and walking briskly into a building....Guess what?..I'm picking them up from the doctor's office, from the hairstylist, or whatever...So, I have to bring them back to the car - And they struggle walking, so the car has to be close.

They get out of the house maybe once or twice each week...Is that too much of a burden on society?

I'm stumped on what the gripe is from some of you people?..You're griping about not having access to these spots yourselves?...What's wrong with you that you can't walk a little further?

As far as some of you saying "Well if they're that handicapped, they belong in nursing homes"...I would say that if someone is so nutty about seeing someone else get an accomodation, they belong in a nut house...And that is true, we have too many people walking freely in society that should be in institutions.

And, if you read some of the "too passionate" comments in some of these threads (like this one) you would understand that we have quite a few people that have hair trigger tempers, and it would be better for society as a whole if we simply locked them away.....We could arrange to park their precious vehicles outside their padded cell windows to keep them calm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
A couple of spaces in a parking lot, and people go off the deep end here...

I take care of a handicapped person in my home. An old friend of mine. And my sacrifice keeps them out of a nursing home. I spend 90% of my free time with them.

Not all of that time is actually attending to them...But, it is staying with them, and keeping an eye on them.

And I'm one of the healthy looking people you see parking in a handicap spot, and walking briskly into a building....Guess what?..I'm picking them up from the doctor's office, from the hairstylist, or whatever...So, I have to bring them back to the car - And they struggle walking, so the car has to be close.

They get out of the house maybe once or twice each week...Is that too much of a burden on society?

I'm stumped on what the gripe is from some of you people?..You're griping about not having access to these spots yourselves?...What's wrong with you that you can't walk a little further?

As far as some of you saying "Well if they're that handicapped, they belong in nursing homes"...I would say that if someone is so nutty about seeing someone else get an accomodation, they belong in a nut house...And that is true, we have too many people walking freely in society that should be in institutions.

And, if you read some of the "too passionate" comments in some of these threads (like this one) you would understand that we have quite a few people that have hair trigger tempers, and it would be better for society as a whole if we simply locked them away.....We could arrange to park their precious vehicles outside their padded cell windows to keep them calm.
My 'gripe' is that there are people who buy handicapped placards illegally, park there and disregard the handicapped designation and thereby keep REAL handicapped people from using these spots. My second beef is that obese people, while they may have developed secondary ailments after becoming obese, are not entitled to handicapped spots. If they lose weight, many of those ailments go away. They should be parked as far away from the door as possible to encourage exercise. I don't want to get rid of handicapped spots or use them, knock wood.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
My 'gripe' is that there are people who buy handicapped placards illegally, park there and disregard the handicapped designation and thereby keep REAL handicapped people from using these spots. My second beef is that obese people, while they may have developed secondary ailments after becoming obese, are not entitled to handicapped spots. If they lose weight, many of those ailments go away. They should be parked as far away from the door as possible to encourage exercise. I don't want to get rid of handicapped spots or use them, knock wood.
Don't be too hard on obese people...Sometimes there's a very sad story behind their eating.

It's hard to understand at times, because I am sure that in your life you met some very heavy people that have great personalities - And you wonder, why don't they lose weight, they could meet someone...Or, they would look so much better...

It could be from depression...Some people do drugs, some people drink (and drive, and kill people on the road)...Some people simply eat.

Since I have been taking care of a handicapped person, I've put on weight...I'm home all the time, I don't get out to do anything. And talk about having miserable experiences - imagine dealing with the medical community on a continuous basis (They are mostly great people...But you spend hours in their offices, and they want every nickel coming to them, don't they?).

When you are taking care of someone, you don't relax at the end of the day with a couple of drinks...If something happens to them, and you've got them in an emergency room. with a smell of booze on your breath, you are not going to look like a dedicated caregiver, are you?

So, you eat some comfort food....There's nothing else in your life.

..I'm certainly not obese...But, I can see why someone can become obese...There is something difficult, or something going wrong in their lives...

Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Don't be too hard on obese people...Sometimes there's a very sad story behind their eating.

It's hard to understand at times, because I am sure that in your life you met some very heavy people that have great personalities - And you wonder, why don't they lose weight, they could meet someone...Or, they would look so much better...

It could be from depression...Some people do drugs, some people drink (and drive, and kill people on the road)...Some people simply eat.

Since I have been taking care of a handicapped person, I've put on weight...I'm home all the time, I don't get out to do anything. And talk about having miserable experiences - imagine dealing with the medical community on a continuous basis (They are mostly great people...But you spend hours in their offices, and they want every nickel coming to them, don't they?).

When you are taking care of someone, you don't relax at the end of the day with a couple of drinks...If something happens to them, and you've got them in an emergency room. with a smell of booze on your breath, you are not going to look like a dedicated caregiver, are you?

So, you eat some comfort food....There's nothing else in your life.

..I'm certainly not obese...But, I can see why someone can become obese...There is something difficult, or something going wrong in their lives...
I'm not being hard on them- I'm just saying they shouldn't be a handicapped spot.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 PM

Default Well, think of it this way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm not being hard on them- I'm just saying they shouldn't be a handicapped spot.
Look at it from another point of view....

What's would be worse while you are out shopping?.

- Seeing a heavy person getting a better spot?

OR

- Watching some drunk pulling their pick-up truck in the spot next to yours?

I think the drunks on the road are a bigger problem than a few designated parking spots.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,665 times
To all the people who make it a point to watch the people who park in handicapped spots to make sure they are actually handicapped: why not mind your own business? Why do you feel the need to be the parking police?

I've never parked in a handicapped spot before, but I have committed a similar offense in that I frequently make use of the carpool lanes when driving alone during rush hours. I do it when I know I will probably be late otherwise. I've seen other drivers get very very mad, probably more than is necessary for such an offense. Just seems like a waste of energy to me.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:40 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Get over the fat issue. Whatever problems they have because of weight are STILL keeping them from being healthy. I don't CARE if it was caused by overeating and I can't for the life of me see why anyone else cares either! You are not living in their skin, you do not know their stories, you can not use it as an excuse to exclude them from something that they need "because it's their fault they got that way". It's NOT A REWARD, it's a helpful thing for people who need help. Once you are handicapped IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW YOU GOT THAT WAY!!!!! You are handicapped..period!

PS. I have NEVER seen all the handicapped spots filled up at the same time so I doubt this particular "fat" issue is a problem for anyone except those fixated on making sure there is EVEN MORE punishment for overeating than being unhealthy, handicapped and probably dying early. We don't need to be ranking handicaps to see which one is more worthy of anything...sheesh.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Quote:
Look at it from another point of view....

What's would be worse while you are out shopping?.

- Seeing a heavy person getting a better spot?

OR

- Watching some drunk pulling their pick-up truck in the spot next to yours?

I think the drunks on the road are a bigger problem than a few designated parking spots.
Drunks get designated spots at the supermarket?

Well what if you look at the drunks this way, maybe they were abused, maybe they have some kind of injury that they self medicate with alchohol, maybe they're depressed about their choices in life. All are points that have been brought up to defend or sympathize with obese people but nobodies giving them a pass now are they?

Oh and that drunk that pulling up next to you is just as likely to be in a minivan as opposed to a pick-up.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Get over the fat issue. Whatever problems they have because of weight are STILL keeping them from being healthy. I don't CARE if it was caused by overeating and I can't for the life of me see why anyone else cares either! You are not living in their skin, you do not know their stories, you can not use it as an excuse to exclude them from something that they need "because it's their fault they got that way". It's NOT A REWARD, it's a helpful thing for people who need help. Once you are handicapped IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW YOU GOT THAT WAY!!!!! You are handicapped..period!

PS. I have NEVER seen all the handicapped spots filled up at the same time so I doubt this particular "fat" issue is a problem for anyone except those fixated on making sure there is EVEN MORE punishment for overeating than being unhealthy, handicapped and probably dying early. We don't need to be ranking handicaps to see which one is more worthy of anything...sheesh.
Well, why would they change their lifestyle to a healthier one when everyone keeps making things easier for them? Just keep eating, we'll make the seats wider, our medical equiptment bigger, more handicap spaces so you can squeeze the giant truck you have to climb in and out of(you're not too handicapped to do that). It's time we stop feeling bad for people and start holding them accountable for their actions. Thats why we're in this mess to begin with. Everyone has a "disability".

Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Drunks get designated spots at the supermarket?

Well what if you look at the drunks this way, maybe they were abused, maybe they have some kind of injury that they self medicate with alchohol, maybe they're depressed about their choices in life. All are points that have been brought up to defend or sympathize with obese people but nobodies giving them a pass now are they?
You're missing Migees point. The point is that fat people don't harm anyone but themselves while drunks on the road can harm others and are a far bigger problem to society than a few fat people getting a handicapped parking permit. I can find sympathy for alcoholics but at the same time I expect them to be responsible enough to find a friend or cab to take them home when they've been out drinking because they can---and often do---kill or maim others when they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies