Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times

Advertisements

So let me get this right.

Everybody is fully aware that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

A person then goes on to actually sponsor and publicize a "Draw Mohammad Day," because she knows that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

She is then surprised to discover that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

Okay... what am I missing? Exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We almost HAVE to go out of our way to offend people in order to neutralize the effect, especially when the offenses are so commonplace and can be all over the work via the internet in minutes. We can't have people running around threatening to behead anyone who accidental offends them and the only way to get past that is an overdose of offense. It's a tried and true strategy.
Sure worked this time.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

Everybody is fully aware that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

A person then goes on to actually sponsor and publicize a "Draw Mohammad Day," because she knows that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

She is then surprised to discover that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

An appreciation for the free exchange of ideas, or even the idea that "my right to swing my fist ends at your nose."

Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:

The fact that we can't accept that drawing anyting is a death sentence. It must be challenged because....it's there!!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The fact that we can't accept that drawing anying is a death sentence.
The falling piano will crush you whether you accept it or not.

The proper response is rarely to stand under the piano and saw at the ropes holding it up.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
How about that nowhere in the Koran does it forbid the drawing of Mohammed by non-Muslims???

Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:

So by your logic...back in the day, if a black man dated a white woman and was hung as a result, it was his own fault because he should have known better?

Alrighty then.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
The falling piano will crush you whether you accept it or not.

The proper response is rarely to stand under the piano and saw at the ropes holding it up.
A falling piano is not the same as a doodle on a piece of paper. The laws of gravity can't be changed, but stupid human ideas can. When the world was different, when people were not mingling, people could get away with these ideas. In a globally society it's not going to fly.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
An appreciation for the free exchange of ideas, or even the idea that "my right to swing my fist ends at your nose."
I am not missing that at all. But then again, I am a secular American.

It is just breathtaking to me that (for example) the boards are filled with offended threads about Muslims responding violently to the threatened Qur'an burnings, or that a woman is forced to go into hiding for sponsoring a "Draw Muhammad Day," when the very purpose of the Qur'an burning and drawing of Muhammad was to incite exactly that behavior.

Reality does not frankly give a tinker's dam about the free exchange of ideas. It is unforgiving in it's assignment of consequences.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
Quote:

Burning flags is also evokes a serious response, but it is done. Our constitution allows it. Quran burning is similar - not sensible, but is allowed. We cannot have any group pick and tell us which laws we can obey in the US. Their loons need to try and adjust to the present day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies