Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Sure worked this time.

One little journalist. The dose wasn't large enough. Everyone has to pitch in and help. The Muslims desperately need desensitization therapy. I have a feeling that very soon now, they are going to cross the wrong Americans. Europe, wimpy and immasculated though it may be, is finally catching a clue that they'd better fight back or else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
You mistake me for somebody defending Muslims here.

I am simply objecting to fake outrage directed at consequences that were deliberately courted by the people now facing them.

This woman was not facing any threat of Muslim violence. She chose to solicit it. It worked.

She should be celebrating the success of her effort. It accomplished exactly what it appears she intended.
So then US citizens should not do or say anything that would offend any Muslims around the world because then we'd have to go into hiding ?

Is that what you are implying ?

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Appeasement rarely works...the bully will keep demanding more and more.

Dhimmitude suits some however.

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Muslims are very strongly opposed to graven images. A drawing, painting, stained-glass window, or a statue of a deity would be patently offensive, and Molly Norris obviously knew that. "Everybody draw Mohammed day" was an intentional slap in the face to Muslims. She went out of her way to offend them.

She got exactly what she bargained for.
i see.

so, purposefully doing something that any religious group would find offensive warrants whatever punishment the insulted party feels appropriate -including murdering the offender- and you're fine with this.

correct?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:51 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Quote:
Agreed completely. It is an elegant theory that I embrace with enthusiasm.

Now... what tangible use is that to her in her current predicament?
What tangible use comes out of flag burning? Both are protests - in this case, the other side is more pissed off. Maybe, if enough people did this, the loons will get more used to it - afterall, most muslims are not nuts and will understand why. If they are nuts, then we need to make sure we do not obey them.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Since that was not the analogy I made, your reponse is more than a skosh off target. But lets run with yours now.

To the extent that we are talking about the deeply held religious beliefs of more than a billion people... guess what. It is very much like laws of gravity. We know exactly how a projectile is going to behave when you throw it. In the same way, we know exactly how some number of Muslims are going to behave when we promote "Draw Mohammad Day."

We have learned to accommodate the laws of gravity rather than pretend they could be changed easily (or at all), and in so doing we have achieved space flight and landed men on the moon. We did not accomplish these things by repeatedly jumping head first off tall buildings.
I thought it was. Falling piano, death, it was pretty straight forward.

The problem is humanity. People. They are NOT going to kowtow to ideas that are considered strange and foreign. Give people a target, a sacred cow, and it's going to be poked with a stick and blown up until it's not so sacred anymore. And we can't force natural instincts to be stifled out of fear. I mean you can try, but your the HistorianDude so you probably know better than most how that kind of thing always turns out.

There probably will be another war at some point because of stupid ideas like this, there always is.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i see.

so, purposefully doing something that any religious group would find offensive warrants whatever punishment the insulted party feels appropriate -including murdering the offender- and you're fine with this.

correct?
I guess US laws and rights don't apply when it comes to offending Muslims.

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How about that nowhere in the Koran does it forbid the drawing of Mohammed by non-Muslims???
You make logic, infidel? I kill you three times!

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Oh wait till they are further emboldened by the apologists rolling over for them.

The list of perceived slights against Islam will grow and grow and heads will roll.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
So let me get this right.

Everybody is fully aware that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

A person then goes on to actually sponsor and publicize a "Draw Mohammad Day," because she knows that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

She is then surprised to discover that many Muslims get violent when you draw what they believe are insulting cartoons of Muhammad.

Okay... what am I missing? Exactly?
it's not so much what you're missing, as the part you found that didn't exist.

i.e., the part where she 'was surprised.'

any other questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies