Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:36 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So by your logic...back in the day, if a black man dated a white woman and was hung as a result, it was his own fault because he should have known better?

Alrighty then.
It's different because it's likely the Mohammed doodler leans right of center, so they deserve their outcome.

-cuebald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's different because it's likely the Mohammed doodler leans right of center, so they deserve their outcome.

-cuebald
lol's how did I miss that logic chain?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So by your logic...back in the day, if a black man dated a white woman and was hung as a result, it was his own fault because he should have known better?

Alrighty then.
You mistake me for somebody defending Muslims here.

I am simply objecting to fake outrage directed at consequences that were deliberately courted by the people now facing them.

This woman was not facing any threat of Muslim violence. She chose to solicit it. It worked.

She should be celebrating the success of her effort. It accomplished exactly what it appears she intended.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

I am simply objecting to fake outrage directed at consequences that were deliberately courted by the people now facing them.

This woman was not facing any threat of Muslim violence. She chose to solicit it. It worked.

She should be celebrating the success of her effort. It accomplished exactly what it appears she intended.
Actually it didn't, and that's what people are missing. Yes, she started it but she quickly realized that it was a much bigger thing than she thought and backed down. And that's perfectly understandable when you have been raised in a society that doesn't kill you for expressing an idea. Unfortunately some nutjobs have decided to make her an example and/or just focused their sick minds upon her and won't let it go. And THAT is unacceptable.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:

I didn't mistake anything.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:43 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
Salmon Rushdie, a muslim, did not solicit a muslim reaction when he wrote Satanic Verses, but a fatwa was issued on him anyway.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
I am not missing that at all. But then again, I am a secular American.

It is just breathtaking to me that (for example) the boards are filled with offended threads about Muslims responding violently to the threatened Qur'an burnings, or that a woman is forced to go into hiding for sponsoring a "Draw Muhammad Day," when the very purpose of the Qur'an burning and drawing of Muhammad was to incite exactly that behavior.

Reality does not frankly give a tinker's dam about the free exchange of ideas. It is unforgiving in it's assignment of consequences.
I'm also secular, and I want to defend the ability of people to criticize and satirize ideas. In America the threat violence shouldn't be allowed chill debate.

Whether that idea be put forth by the KKK, Islam, Christians, or Harvard scientist, it doesn't really matter.

An idea shouldn't get special treatment just because it calls itself a "religion." It still should be intellectually vetted, and rejected, criticized, or even mocked, if it so deserves. Ideas shouldn't be protected by threats of violence.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,755 times
Quote:

'

You should be lauding her for showing journalistic COURAGE. Instead, she's being excoriated and in effect you are telling her "you should have cowered like we are cowering before our future lords, and then you wouldn't have a problem."

Are you going to pee all over yourself if a Muslim looks at you?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A falling piano is not the same as a doodle on a piece of paper. The laws of gravity can't be changed, but stupid human ideas can. When the world was different, when people were not mingling, people could get away with these ideas. In a globally society it's not going to fly.
Since that was not the analogy I made, your reponse is more than a skosh off target. But lets run with yours now.

To the extent that we are talking about the deeply held religious beliefs of more than a billion people... guess what. It is very much like laws of gravity. We know exactly how a projectile is going to behave when you throw it. In the same way, we know exactly how some number of Muslims are going to behave when we promote "Draw Mohammad Day."

We have learned to accommodate the laws of gravity rather than pretend they could be changed easily (or at all), and in so doing we have achieved space flight and landed men on the moon. We did not accomplish these things by repeatedly jumping head first off tall buildings.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Burning flags is also evokes a serious response, but it is done. Our constitution allows it. Quran burning is similar - not sensible, but is allowed. We cannot have any group pick and tell us which laws we can obey in the US. Their loons need to try and adjust to the present day and age.
Agreed completely. It is an elegant theory that I embrace with enthusiasm.

Now... what tangible use is that to her in her current predicament?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies