Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh wait till they are further emboldened by the apologists rolling over for them.

The list of perceived slights against Islam will grow and grow and heads will roll.
And to think we were concerned about the Muslims when it turns out the Useful Idiots are the ones to be feared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Since that was not the analogy I made, your reponse is more than a skosh off target. But lets run with yours now.

To the extent that we are talking about the deeply held religious beliefs of more than a billion people... guess what. It is very much like laws of gravity. We know exactly how a projectile is going to behave when you throw it. In the same way, we know exactly how some number of Muslims are going to behave when we promote "Draw Mohammad Day."

We have learned to accommodate the laws of gravity rather than pretend they could be changed easily (or at all), and in so doing we have achieved space flight and landed men on the moon. We did not accomplish these things by repeatedly jumping head first off tall buildings.
This isn't like combating the laws of gravity. The muslims (or sympathizers) who are threatening this individual can be easily controlled or neutralized if necessary. The fact they show outrage is irrelevant because if they cannot make good on their actions, it is inconsequential. In fact, draw Mohammed day should also be expanded to "draw Mohammed eating spare ribs" day. That will really bring out all the crazies.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How about that nowhere in the Koran does it forbid the drawing of Mohammed by non-Muslims???
irrelevant!

why do you insist on peeing on this parade of smug self-righteousness my friend?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually it didn't, and that's what people are missing. Yes, she started it but she quickly realized that it was a much bigger thing than she thought and backed down. And that's perfectly understandable when you have been raised in a society that doesn't kill you for expressing an idea. Unfortunately some nutjobs have decided to make her an example and/or just focused their sick minds upon her and won't let it go. And THAT is unacceptable.
I am sorry, but when you call it "understandable," I could not really disagree more.

I cannot possibly understand why anybody in their right minds could have anticipated any other outcome. Sure, they might have been lucky. It might have been a hot news day and buried their efforts on page six, thus sparing them the notice of the nutjobs. But any person with a grasp on reality would have anticipated that the likely response was exactly what it was, since that was the response against which they were explicitly protesting.

Do I think its awful that the woman has to go into hiding? Sure I do. For god's sake I have studies Islam in detail and consider it to be a disaster to humanity in general and Muslims in particular.

But I have no sympathy for her, since she is an adult and actions have consequences. She cannot feign surprise over hers.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but when you call it "understandable," I could not really disagree more.

I cannot possibly understand why anybody in their right minds could have anticipated any other outcome. Sure, they might have been lucky. It might have been a hot news day and buried their efforts on page six, thus sparing them the notice of the nutjobs. But any person with a grasp on reality would have anticipated that the likely response was exactly what it was, since that was the response against which they were explicitly protesting.

Do I think its awful that the woman has to go into hiding? Sure I do. For god's sake I have studies Islam in detail and consider it to be a disaster to humanity in general and Muslims in particular.

But I have no sympathy for her, since she is an adult and actions have consequences. She cannot feign surprise over hers.
I wouldn't have anticipated it and I'm not an idiot. She isn't a politician or lawmaker or diplomat, just a private citizen. I would have anticipated some chuckles and comments by my friends then having it fade to page 2 of my personal website. But that's just me. Other people picked up the ball and the internet made it a sensation. THAT is the real issue today, nobody knows what things they do or say will end up going viral on Youtube and getting their name on a hitlist. That's not something anyone should have to worry about.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:

You don't need sympathy for her, you just need to feel good when anyone who tries to make good on their threat gets whacked. If not feel good, at least feel confident that justice overcomes intolerance.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Salmon Rushdie, a muslim, did not solicit a muslim reaction when he wrote Satanic Verses, but a fatwa was issued on him anyway.
Certainly you cannot imagine for a second that Rushdie had any illusions about what the outcome of The Satanic Verses would be. But his most important outcome was turning a mediocre novel into an International best seller.

It was a Fatwa that he took with him to the bank.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This isn't like combating the laws of gravity. The muslims (or sympathizers) who are threatening this individual can be easily controlled or neutralized if necessary. The fact they show outrage is irrelevant because if they cannot make good on their actions, it is inconsequential. In fact, draw Mohammed day should also be expanded to "draw Mohammed eating spare ribs" day. That will really bring out all the crazies.
I prefer a cartoon of Mo in bed with a 9 year old piglet.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Certainly you cannot imagine for a second that Rushdie had any illusions about what the outcome of The Satanic Verses would be. But his most important outcome was turning a mediocre novel into an International best seller.

It was a Fatwa that he took with him to the bank.
From what I recall it was a surprise for him since the 'infraction' was minor. Regardless, good for him that he monetized the fatwa effectively. It is the least he deserved for having a price on his head from Khomenei.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:09 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Quote:

She's a warrior in the fight for the free exchange of ideas, and I guess now she's a casualty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies