Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,057,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Were you aware that the proposed bill also included provisions to make US citizens from illegal aliens?

Eliminate "Don't Ask Don't Tell" does not solve any problems. Should the law be repealed the military would revert back to the way it did business prior to 1993, which was a complete prohibition on all homosexuals, and immediately discharge all those homosexuals currently in the military under "other than honorable conditions." Is this what you are advocating?
I must say that my Sens (Tex do-nothings) and Sen Reid got an earfull from me about that. How could they possibly tie in the plight of the illegals with that of gay Americans' rights to serve in the military? I kind of thought that maybe this wouldn't pass when I caught wind of that yesterday. Perhaps Sen Collins hinted that she would vote for it next time if it was presented as a stand-alone bill. I wonder what kind of amendments that the Rs would add to it though. It was stupid of Sen Reid to attach this on to the appropr. bill. Pres Obama didn't do nearly enough to push it through. Even his recent Marine Corps appointee came out AGAINST repeal. Didn't Obama vet this guy properly to make sure that this new appointee was FOR DADT repeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,717,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Were you aware that the proposed bill also included provisions to make US citizens from illegal aliens?

Eliminate "Don't Ask Don't Tell" does not solve any problems. Should the law be repealed the military would revert back to the way it did business prior to 1993, which was a complete prohibition on all homosexuals, and immediately discharge all those homosexuals currently in the military under "other than honorable conditions." Is this what you are advocating?
Nobody mentions that anymore
When Clinton introduced DADT, the gay community loved him.
well its true, you give them an inch, they take a mile.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM

12,311 posts, read 9,784,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Every post you make on this subject serves to reinforce mine.

Everything isn't a battle to be won for "the underdog" whoever the underdog may be.

Status quo and all that go along with it, like tradition, standards, history stand for something in the military.

Our military doesn't have to bend to "get with the times". Everything shouldn't be a Progressives opportunity to throw a wrench in the machine and muck it up.

It works fine the way it is, homosexuals are a MINORITY in the military so insignificant it doesn't even justify mentioning.

Leave it alone.

If a gay wants to serve in the military then they serve under conditions. "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is that condition of service.
(Hands clapping) Another outstanding post!

You guys are on a roll tonight....

Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Maybe they could change the rules so that word of mouth cannot be used as evidence that someone is gay? So no fear of going to a gay bar or something like that?

In a perfect world, sexuality would be kept out of the workplace, but we don't live in a perfect world.
yeah, you got that right! Sexuality creeps up in discussions of how we spent the weekends, who we spent it with, people that we come in contact with throughout the work day, etc.
Perhaps if we spent 1 hour a day at work, we could control our sexual selves. But given the fact that we spend so much more time than that at our work, keeping it in your head would be a difficult chore for many.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,371,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Votes to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell are lacking and the bill won't pass. It does not matter that most of the civilized nations have already accomplished this. The United States, bastion of freedom, defender of liberty nose dives into an empty pool....

Never thought I would see the day. Unbelievable.
That was the Senate that voted wrong today and they don't always manage to vote like the people. Why did you call it a homophobic nation?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,793,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Votes to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell are lacking and the bill won't pass. It does not matter that most of the civilized nations have already accomplished this. The United States, bastion of freedom, defender of liberty nose dives into an empty pool....

Never thought I would see the day. Unbelievable.
Welcome to the land of white, male christians.
Your fascism packet is in the mail.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,123,787 times
Well we have never been europe and hopefully never will be.If its so popular then why attch it to another bill and especailly one with a backdoor amnesty clause. you might wan to write the democrats about that and why they schedued a vote they knew wasn't going to pass with those two in it.Thyen of course they filled up the amendment calandaer not allowing debate or amendments. Sound like just playing lip service to a group knowing it would fail to anyone?Always keep them wanting and a issue they can support you for while not really doing anything.I also doubt that gay marreage vote in California was all christians. Deluding yourself there.We need to know how the people havig to lvie with teh bill thionks about ti ;not the 99% that it doesn't effect.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,598,994 times
Here's a partial list of the countries just like the United States on this matter....which should have been settled years ago; so we can get on with fixing our country, instead of focusing on divisive issues......our country is obsessed with divisive issues!

(1) IRAN.....how nice.
(2) NORTH KOREA...nice company.
(3) PAKISTAN.....no comment.
(4) SAUDI ARABIA....interesting.
That's a few and there are a few more...like China, and yet we preach to the rest of the world about freedom and equal rights. Seems sanctimonous to me....perhaps we can start a new "axis of evil" with some of our "commrades" in "arms". Haven't we repeatedly condemned these countries for many things; yet we apparently have some rather "backward" policies in common with these same countries. This is part of the reason that we are not respected in the world anymore.

Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's an interesting map. The BLUE countries allow Gays to serve openly...the RED countries do NOT allow equal rights on this issue(gray countries...no data available); even Russia is far ahead of the U.S. on this matter>>>>>>>>>>>

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...itary_laws.png

Old 09-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well we have never been europe and hopefully never will be.If its so popular then why attch it to another bill and especailly one with a backdoor amnesty clause. you might wan to write the democrats about that and why they schedued a vote they knew wasn't going to pass with those two in it.Thyen of course they filled up the amendment calandaer not allowing debate or amendments. Sound like just playing lip service to a group knowing it would fail to anyone?Always keep them wanting and a issue they can support you for while not really doing anything.I also doubt that gay marreage vote in California was all christians. Deluding yourself there.We need to know how the people havig to lvie with teh bill thionks about ti ;not the 99% that it doesn't effect.
the gay marriage vote was christians and a bunch of ignorant folk who were duped by a slick mormon advertising campaign that told them that gays were out to get their kids and make them gay.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 PM

24,533 posts, read 33,430,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you can call me "homo" all day long if you'd like
Maybe I could with you but some people consider it an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies