Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised at all.

Even before the economy crashed the number of hard drug users over 55 was at an all time high due to the Boomers reaching senior citizen age. There was a study taken in 2007 that stated the number of hard drug users between 55 and 70 had surpassed the number of teenage hard drug users (although the 20-30 age group is still the most prone to using hard drugs).

And with economic ruin in place (something that always boosts suicide) on top of more hard drug use amongst those in their 50s and 60s, no surprise there's an epidemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Assuming that you are married and have children, do you derive any self-esteem for being able to provide for your family in the best way possible? If my assumption is correct and the answer is yes, then I think that you should be able to understand that credit cards, a house and other material things are only external yet tangible manifestations of that ability. That the issue isn't that you no longer actually possessions but rather a more serious loss in the sense of one's ability to provide at any level, for ones family.

Nothing personal, but that kind of macho bs is why a lot of folks, particularly men can't cope with depression. Yeah, that's all it takes, big balls and drunk on spirituality (whatever the f that means).

Then you would think that you wouldn't be so cavalier, and sanctimonious in your remarks.

I feel so enlightened now, nothing like stating the painfully obvious,.
Yoiu assumptions about me are totally off base.

But thanks for sharing.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Yep not only is the unemployment rate through the roof, it's effected baby boomers even more so.

Good luck getting a comparable job in this economy when you are in your 50's.

Now the GOP along with their conservative Dem allies want to raise the retirement age to 70.

Just wait till this same bunch manages to stop extending unemployment benefits.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yep not only is the unemployment rate through the roof, it's effected baby boomers even more so.

Now the GOP along with their conservative Dem allies want to raise the retirement age to 70.

yeah, why not just make the benefits for unemployment unending?

...and lower the Retirement age, and provide more government funded entitlements, welfare, social programs, and healthcare for everyone, and don't forget to include illegal aliens, and their extended families

Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Hell, I don't know if I'd like to live to an old age myself. I'd rather leave this world early than live past 65 and be crippled. I enjoy life way too much to just watch myself melt away into old age.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
A good indicator of any societies overall health is that statistic that deals with suicide. Mental health issues are taking a back seat in the US today and it's beginning to show up in these kinds of stats but closer scrutiny of this OP article shows a more disturbing trend looming for the developed nations that have made a huge number of their citizens economically irrelevant. Those from a lower educational class in society are just not being considered for future work. As time rolls on this class of workers will be expanded to include those with outdated knowledge in their fields. Humans need to be relevant in their society, sitting on the sidelines, used up early in life, sometimes sick and depressed, they wonder how this could happen to them.

Not all boomers can be thrown into the media blender of those TV specials that show the sixties as some kind of long party, dancing with abandon the hippies at Woodstock came to be a symbol of the entire generation. I was working to support my young family as were most of my friends in the sixties, sure we partied but we didn't have the luxury of going to the rock festivals anytime we wanted or marching against the war for that matter. Many of the people I worked with through the years were definitely not blinging nor were they well off, their future was sealed in poverty because the couldn't afford an education, now they seem despondent when I call, no retirement pension for them for them, no medical coverage for most of their life has left them less healthy than they should be. A lot of youth were spoiled in the boomer age bracket but not all, but that's the picture as presented on America's favorite educational tool, TV.

This excerpt from the OP linked article:

"Men and women with a high school degree or less also became more likely to commit suicide. Rates in men with a high school diploma went up 11.7 percent in the 40 to 49 age group and 27 percent in the 50 to 59 age group. Women in those groups saw their suicide rates increase by 15 and 17 percent, respectively. Middle-age participants with a college degree appeared largely protected from the trend".

Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Some Boomers have had experience with things not going well, in fact some of us never made it to the materialistic heights that my generation supposedly stands for. Those of us, who have the tshirt, will not be contemplating anything but how to keep to a slimmer budget. its the people who bought into the expanded dream of mom and dad to have all the stuff and keep up with the yuppy dream who are hurting most. Especially since credit, the magic plastic card, bought so much of it.

When people who have not yet been faced with huge stressful problems with no easy solution face them the first time, you find out who they are. Some people are survivors, and born that way. We see a little more clearly and can move PAST the roadblock and deal with today. Some can't. When your 59 and hit this point and find out you in the second catagory you have a problem. Its easier to bounce when you think you have more time.

I'm sure some have simply given up because they don't know how to cope. If the rise in the rate was mirrored in the 60's then it was a similar thing. But not everyone was challenged equally or maybe there was somebody around to fill in the gap then.

It's not just boomers who are getting tested by Life today. But when combined by a seriously curtailed ability to get hired because of age and health problems and fears of living hand to mouth forever, the people who just can't cope will be more numerous in that age group.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Good. If we can get more of those greedy bastards to off themselves then we won't have to pay for their social security.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Surprising Hike in Suicide Rates Found Among Baby Boomers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/surprisinghikeinsuicideratesfoundamongbabyboomers - broken link)
I'm wondering who they voted for the past decade. I know, that's coldhearted. This reference came to mind... More light on the Kronberg tragedy: Lyndon LaRouche and the art of inducing suicide

It's strange how they lump these people into boomer generation. The people I've known born in 45 have so little in common with those born in 60's. Do the math and how many of those born in 45 were giving birth to their own generation???? Nope, they painted with too broad a brush here.

I'll tell you what-- much as ovacatto thinks it's all just narrative I'd love to see the backwards math done-- the next generation going conservative, the hard core resurgence of social conservative is all backlash against addict parents falling down on the job. Those kids had their childhoods stolen from them and I believe that wound drives them (and the grandparents raising them) to demand their government step up. I don't blame them one iota but the social conservative platform sold politically can't be delivered. Match up that group and find out their parents birth date... that's the sore spot hiding under the vague boomer blob. Generalizations really have gotten out of hand in this era.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:17 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Surprising Hike in Suicide Rates Found Among Baby Boomers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/surprisinghikeinsuicideratesfoundamongbabyboomers - broken link)
This is great news. These people will not be sucking money out of Social Security and Medicare.

Maybe there will be some left for me after all.

I wonder if we could pass a law requiring all boomers to kill themselves. That would solve many of our problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies