Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 02:23 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Conservative are against it because you zone out and have a good time....and they don't like it. Period, point blank. It has a stigma attached to it that says "loser, slacker, malingerer, bad guy, druggie, etc." They simply can't abide it...Jesus would NEVER smoke it.
Ehhhhh... I'd bet Jesus enjoyed an occasional toke with his apostles. C'mon, he was a total hippie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Get some exercise instead. You will be a lot better off than consuming a stupid drug. And set a good example for those under 25 years old.
Who said I don't exercise? I'm sorry, I missed the part where I typed "I sit around and smoke weed all day." Could you please point me to that quote?

Hint: I'm a former competitive figure skater, and coached until severe arthritis took me off the ice permanently... now I enjoy yoga, swimming and hiking, as they're less painful on my joints (which is also helped by a little weed at night). Try knowing somebody before making such a rude & judgmental statement, mkay?

Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 AM

Oh, and what's with the "set a good example for those under 25?" Do you think I'm older or younger than that, and why am I supposed to set an example for them? Weird comment.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Considering how many lives have been ruined, with people who became drugs addicts after starting with marijuana, it's not a matter of it being "big government anti-freedom." Not when society (and people) are affected.
All alcoholics started with a few beers (or occasional glass of wine, etc), so should we outlaw liquor? All morbidly obese people started with their first bite of food, so should we outlaw food too? Just because some people have addictive tendencies and/or lack of self-control, that's no reason to penalize those of us who understand moderation.

Of course many hardcore junkies "started" with marijuana, but that has no bearing on who THEN becomes a serious addict... and if marijuana weren't around, they'd just find another drug to try first. Matter of fact, the first illegal drug I ever tried was LSD - but somehow I've managed to keep from becoming an addict, and haven't done anything but pot in almost 20 years. Something like 80% of Americans over 18 have tried marijuana, and yet we don't have a population that's 80% junkies.

To quote Jon Stewart: "Saying marijuana is a gateway to drug addiction is like saying birth is a gateway to death."

Old 11-24-2011, 02:39 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,010 times
Quote:
No, not sarcasm at all. I actually remember when its use was discouraged.
Its use wasn't "discouraged" until some parties got the government to make it illegal, mostly for personal financial reasons, not for "the good of the community".
Same goes for other harder drugs like Heroin and Cocaine.

As was proven during Prohibition, illegality will not stop someone from using their drug of choice nor legality, in-and-of itself, get them to start.

Too many still have the Reefer Madness attitude regarding Marijuana use.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:46 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who said I don't exercise? I'm sorry, I missed the part where I typed "I sit around and smoke weed all day." Could you please point me to that quote?

Hint: I'm a former competitive figure skater, and coached until severe arthritis took me off the ice permanently... now I enjoy yoga, swimming and hiking, as they're less painful on my joints (which is also helped by a little weed at night). Try knowing somebody before making such a rude & judgmental statement, mkay?
That's great you do all that exercise. So why do you need drugs to enjoy life? I don't. BTW, there are harmless herbs which can be beneficial for the joints... you don't need a mind-altering drug to "treat" it.

I was not making a "rude and judgmental" statement. I fact, I knew about your exercising before I made my post (I read your profile). I just don't see why some people need artificial living (marijuana, along with other drugs).

Old 11-24-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Its use wasn't "discouraged" until some parties got the government to make it illegal, mostly for personal financial reasons, not for "the good of the community".
Same goes for other harder drugs like Heroin and Cocaine.

As was proven during Prohibition, illegality will not stop someone from using their drug of choice nor legality, in-and-of itself, get them to start.

Too many still have the Reefer Madness attitude regarding Marijuana use.
Yup! It's interesting to note how these things go in "waves," when you analyze social habits and beliefs throughout history... from drugs to homosexuality, their acceptance seems to shift from century to century. Currently we're still recovering from the early-20th puritanical (and unrealistic) ideals, but thankfully those are slowly fading away with the newer generations.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:55 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
All alcoholics started with a few beers (or occasional glass of wine, etc), so should we outlaw liquor? All morbidly obese people started with their first bite of food, so should we outlaw food too? Just because some people have addictive tendencies and/or lack of self-control, that's no reason to penalize those of us who understand moderation.

Of course many hardcore junkies "started" with marijuana, but that has no bearing on who THEN becomes a serious addict... and if marijuana weren't around, they'd just find another drug to try first. Matter of fact, the first illegal drug I ever tried was LSD - but somehow I've managed to keep from becoming an addict, and haven't done anything but pot in almost 20 years. Something like 80% of Americans over 18 have tried marijuana, and yet we don't have a population that's 80% junkies.

To quote Jon Stewart: "Saying marijuana is a gateway to drug addiction is like saying birth is a gateway to death."
Why bring alcohol and alcoholics into it? Two wrongs don't make a right. Besides, I don't consume alcohol.

I am glad I had wisdom beyond my age and stayed far away from drugs. I'm sure my parents are glad I did that, too (what parent wouldn't?). As you said, many hardcore junkies started with marijuana; that is one reason to (strongly) disapprove of it.

I wouldn't take anything John Stewart says seriously. According to a Reader's Digest report from 1996, a youngster 12-17 years old who smokes marijuana is 85 times more likely to use cocaine than one who does not.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
That's great you do all that exercise. So why do you need drugs to enjoy life? I don't. BTW, there are harmless herbs which can be beneficial for the joints... you don't need a mind-altering drug to "treat" it.

I was not making a "rude and judgmental" statement. I fact, I knew about your exercising before I made my post (I read your profile). I just don't see why some people need artificial living (marijuana, along with other drugs).
Who said I "need it to enjoy life?" Do you occasionally enjoy a fattening but delicious meal, a glass of wine or a cold beer, or an evening plopped on the sofa doing nothing of particular importance? If so, you're like most humans, who occasionally do something because it feels nice... that doesn't mean I NEED it, nor does it mean I don't enjoy life without those things. I have a good job which I love, family and friends who mean the world to me, and plenty of productive hobbies to fill my time.

I also happen to suffer from severe arthritis and aural migraines, which are greatly relieved by marijuana - and after a long day at work (or a long orchestra rehearsal, hike, etc), it feels good to relax at home with a bowl. So what? Is that hurting anyone, or stopping me from having a productive life? No, it isn't. I don't smoke during the day, before work, or when I'm otherwise occupied, so it's not like I'm a useless stoner with nothing else that brings me pleasure. Not to mention, I dislike alcohol and try to watch my weight, so I don't often indulge in those common pleasures. So what's the harm in a little pot? I'm 35 years old, and it's not illegal where I live... thus, I see no solid argument against it.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-24-2011 at 03:16 AM..

Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 AM

P.S. Those "harmless herbs" for arthritis either do nothing, or they contain stuff to which I'm allergic... marijuana does the job better, and without any serious side-effects. My actual MD is who first suggested I get a prescription, when all other options weren't working for me. I can't deny what gives me relief, and marijuana's an herb too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies