Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Generally conservatives dont seem to be in favor of legalizing marijuana. You would think wanting less government intervention and smaller government would mean legalizing it. A.

The gov should stay out of peoples business when it comes to waht they want to smoke. B. All the government agencies surrounding stopping the marijuana industry cost a fortune and dont really accomplish anything.

Just curious waht your take on this is?

I have two ideas, A. Concservatives tend to be more of a family of values, family. The other thing is the prison industry is a huge industry, we have more people in prison than any other country and private prisons make a fortune off locking up non violent marijauna offenders. Not saying Republicans are in business's pocket because dems are as bad if not worse but its a big money maker locking up people for a plant.
Your assumptions are wrong. Its the Obama administration who is currently cracking down on pot dispensaries. Under Bush, they were open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
I KNEW IT! Glad I stumbled across this 'pro' marijuana post.

The 'paulie' promoter/supporter for the Rupublican nomination, exposes more of his 'true self!' - i.e. why he's so zealous for 'Lib' Ron Paul. haha

Ooh ya got me again detective! Keep up the great work Sherlock! It's not like most on this board don't already know I'm all for ending prohibition of pot! You know, people like you need to be shipped off to places like North Korea where individual freedoms aren't a priority. You'd fit in quite nicely!

So I'm for legalization. Why is that a problem? Tell me one good reason why a God given plant with so many uses whether it be industrial, or medicinal should continue to be illegal?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Considering how many lives have been ruined, with people who became drugs addicts after starting with marijuana, it's not a matter of it being "big government anti-freedom." Not when society (and people) are affected.
Remember, too much freedom leads to anarchy.

And prohibition leads to the black market. Or did you conveniently forget how well prohibition of alcohol worked? You can thank prohibition for guys like Al Capone!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Considering how many lives have been ruined, with people who became drugs addicts after starting with marijuana, it's not a matter of it being "big government anti-freedom." Not when society (and people) are affected.
Remember, too much freedom leads to anarchy.
Yes, it is "big government anti-freedom" because you prefer to have the government imprison, steal from and blacklist people instead of giving them the freedom to make their own personal choices.

"Considering how many lives have been ruined..." how many lives are ruined by imprisonment, by having your stuff stolen by the government or by being blacklisted with a criminal record so you can't get a job anymore? More than drugs themselves, at the cost of billions of taxpayer money each year.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
California approved of medical marijuana, and the Federal gov't cannot keep their noses out of our business. Because of the Feds, we are shutting down the clinics. I don't like the Feds overriding our vote. I will follow Ron Pauls lead and vote for legalization. That comes with the price of being responsible for yourself, and any problems you may incur because of this drug.
Tonight at the debate, RP said prescription drugs kill more people than illegal drugs - I agree with that statement. We are not our brothers keeper. It's their body, their choices. If they make bad decisions, they must deal with the consequences. Most people I know enjoy an occassional toke, no big deal. For those suffering from pain, why would we deny them relief?
Did the feds override your vote, or have other Californians expressed grave concerns pointing at unrealized costs the way Vegas felt buyers remorse over legalized prostitution? I've listened to some of those concerns. I believe they're warranted. If the laid back suburban neighborhood I bought a house in suddenly turned into a basement grow light district of absentee landlords hiring guns to protect their product bringing hostility to the streets... that's not right. Neither is this right: U.S. Government Profits Off of Medical Marijuana?. Not only can I see both sides. I can see how right and wrong they both are simultaneously.

Prescription drugs kill more people than illegal drugs because we count them. As the article points out, there's a catch-22 going on with pot that's undermining authentic scientific inquiry. How is using the big pharma model of turning the medical profession into drug pushers useful to marijuana? The ethical standards of medicine requires restoration, big pharma needs to foot the bill for those addicts of oxycontin, children born addicted, and then some... CHILDREN OF ADDICTED PARENTS

Naturally you'll say it's different than other substances, but to kids with emotional needs unmet by parents who regularly avoid reality through chemistry, it truly isn't. How about the liquor industry cover the tab for rehab, detox, 12 step programs, foster care and mens shelters filled to the brim with wino's? That would be fair. Tobacco can pay for iron lungs, patches, & second hand smoke consequences. That would be fair.

Good for the goose being good for the gander, how should that same rule apply to pot? How many billions are spent on drug testing for decades to maintain professional standards in the military, DOT, medical professions, police... a long line of innocent victims inconvenienced by weasels who can't abide the terms of employment. We might have to tax pot @ 90% rates to cover the administrative tab sorting one from another that's currently a cost born on government and private enterprise. How many wet brain pot heads are applying for disability and cannot function on the job beyond a 7 yr olds ability? Timothy Leery had brain cells to spare when dropping acid. Most cannot afford that, much as they entertain delusions of grandeur unfounded in reality.

Your political position really just doesn't seem to grasp the concept that we ALL have a responsibility to posterity whether or not they are our own by virtue of being raised in civilization to a point where you & I could fend for ourselves. Arguments like yours (and hawkeye''s) only make me as furious at yourselves as I am over characters like Courtney Love wallowing in the same pity party that killed her husband at the expense of her child. Seriously, claud, y'all need to grow the hell up and mind boundary issues right along with the others who've overstepped their boundaries. If you mean to have this issue taken seriously, evolving is not optional.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Did the feds override your vote, or have other Californians expressed grave concerns pointing at unrealized costs the way Vegas felt buyers remorse over legalized prostitution? I've listened to some of those concerns. I believe they're warranted. If the laid back suburban neighborhood I bought a house in suddenly turned into a basement grow light district of absentee landlords hiring guns to protect their product bringing hostility to the streets... that's not right. Neither is this right: U.S. Government Profits Off of Medical Marijuana?. Not only can I see both sides. I can see how right and wrong they both are simultaneously.

Prescription drugs kill more people than illegal drugs because we count them. As the article points out, there's a catch-22 going on with pot that's undermining authentic scientific inquiry. How is using the big pharma model of turning the medical profession into drug pushers useful to marijuana? The ethical standards of medicine requires restoration, big pharma needs to foot the bill for those addicts of oxycontin, children born addicted, and then some... CHILDREN OF ADDICTED PARENTS

Naturally you'll say it's different than other substances, but to kids with emotional needs unmet by parents who regularly avoid reality through chemistry, it truly isn't. How about the liquor industry cover the tab for rehab, detox, 12 step programs, foster care and mens shelters filled to the brim with wino's? That would be fair. Tobacco can pay for iron lungs, patches, & second hand smoke consequences. That would be fair.

Good for the goose being good for the gander, how should that same rule apply to pot? How many billions are spent on drug testing for decades to maintain professional standards in the military, DOT, medical professions, police... a long line of innocent victims inconvenienced by weasels who can't abide the terms of employment. We might have to tax pot @ 90% rates to cover the administrative tab sorting one from another that's currently a cost born on government and private enterprise. How many wet brain pot heads are applying for disability and cannot function on the job beyond a 7 yr olds ability? Timothy Leery had brain cells to spare when dropping acid. Most cannot afford that, much as they entertain delusions of grandeur unfounded in reality.

Your political position really just doesn't seem to grasp the concept that we ALL have a responsibility to posterity whether or not they are our own by virtue of being raised in civilization to a point where you & I could fend for ourselves. Arguments like yours (and hawkeye''s) only make me as furious at yourselves as I am over characters like Courtney Love wallowing in the same pity party that killed her husband at the expense of her child. Seriously, claud, y'all need to grow the hell up and mind boundary issues right along with the others who've overstepped their boundaries. If you mean to have this issue taken seriously, evolving is not optional.
Jibberish. You want the ladder company to pay the bills everytime some dope falls off and hurts himself. Hell no. What you fail to comprehend is personal responsibility. Pot is not addictive, Courtney Love, Michael Jackson and company get hooked on presciption drugs, such as oxy and pain killers. I don't know why you try to equate the two. People that smoke pot are not elligible for disability payments. Your entire post is without reason or logic. I won't be responding to you again, so don't bother to address me.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And prohibition leads to the black market. Or did you conveniently forget how well prohibition of alcohol worked? You can thank prohibition for guys like Al Capone!
If the use of marijuana is discouraged like it used to be before we entered the Age of Insanity, there would be no need for a black market.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Yes, it is "big government anti-freedom" because you prefer to have the government imprison, steal from and blacklist people instead of giving them the freedom to make their own personal choices.
I prefer the government to enforce the laws.

Quote:
"Considering how many lives have been ruined..." how many lives are ruined by imprisonment, by having your stuff stolen by the government or by being blacklisted with a criminal record so you can't get a job anymore? More than drugs themselves, at the cost of billions of taxpayer money each year.
A simple solution... if you don't want to be in prison, don't break the law! Don't blame the government for those in prison!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
If the use of marijuana is discouraged like it used to be before we entered the Age of Insanity, there would be no need for a black market.
Haha, sarcasm?

The Age of Insanity is outlawing a natural plant while at the same time pushing dangerous and highly addictive manmade synthetic drugs.

Marijuana is a plant that has been around and used in different cultures over a period of thousands of years before Uncle Sam decided to outlaw it. Your personal opinion will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:

Hint, Marijuana has been used before the existence of the United States, at the founding of our nation, through the constitutional crisis, through the civil war, through the depression, through the world wars, through prohibition, and all the way up until today.

You have no proof of what you just said.

Outlawing anything doesn't prevent its use. Otherwise terrorists wouldn't use bombs!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies