Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 05:27 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wow, you have tried every herb out there?
No, but I've tried the ones that are typically recommended - or had to skip over trying one, when I saw the ingredients (I'm allergic to a large percentage of "natural" plants and flowers/herbs). But do I have to try EVERY herb to know I've found one that works? And why do you care? It's my body, my mind, and my decision to take whatever I choose for the pain... most of the Rx drugs out there are more poisonous & addictive than weed, but I don't see you arguing against those.

Quote:
Marijuana does have side effects... it's mind-altering. Not to mention containing carcinogens (cancer-causing substances).
I've been smoking cigarettes since age 15, so carcinogens are a concern with or without the weed. Not to mention, there are non-smoking ways to ingest marijuana, so that's a moot point for those who use edibles, pills or vaporizers. I'm much more focused on quitting the tobacco (trying now), as that actually IS giving me health problems... and it's so addictive I can't go a few hours without, whereas marijuana has never given me withdrawals even if I abstain for weeks. And yet, I don't see you lobbying to make tobacco illegal.

As for marijuana being "mind-altering," that's not a side effect IMO - that's a bonus. But seriously, for people who use it medically and regularly, it doesn't really alter your mind that much (if at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I am against those who take drugs (legal and illegal) for "kicks" or for "fun."
Why? How does that affect your life, and how is it your concern what people do for fun? Are you also against alcohol, skydiving, shopping, eating more than you need to live, cigarettes, surfing the web, video games, and everything else people do "for kicks" without positive effects? You're just a party pooper, LOL...

And shouldn't you get off the Internet and go exercise? I mean, there's no positive reason to be posting on CD, when there are much healthier and more productive things you could be doing!

Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,961 times
I'm a liberal canadian and I believe most drugs should be decreminalized. The War on Drug has failed on all fronts. I've used almost all drugs all my life OCCASIONALLY and my life is a lot more stable and healthy than guys who drink on a daily basis. Alcohol is pretty dangerous for the body and so is tobacco, yet these drugs are fully legal.

Read on the history of cocaine or how other drugs came to be illegal. Sometimes the initial reasons behind those laws are just plain silly.

Addicts don't need laws to control their addiction. They will be addicts nonetheless.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:39 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,961 times
Quote:
I am against those who take drugs (legal and illegal) for "kicks" or for "fun."
Using recreational drugs for fun or kicks is actually the only good reason why one should use them. It's when they become a way to escape reality and mask problems that people use them for the wrong reasons.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:42 PM

300 posts, read 250,222 times
Everyone who supports the "war on drugs" supports the raping of the Constitution each and every day.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
How about why are you changing the subject?
How about why don't you understand that's NOT changing the subject? Those points are highly valid comparisons/debates, and completely related to the topic at hand... I guess it went over your head, so try reading again and thinking "how does this relate to my argument against marijuana?"

Quote:
And you are one person out of many millions. What about the many who started with marijuana and then went to harder drugs?
Not just one, MILLIONS have tried weed without becoming addicted. And what about those who become addicted? What does that have to do with people who try weed, and/or why it should or shouldn't be illegal? It's already illegal in most states, yet people still get & try it - so clearly the legality of the drug has nothing to do with the number of addicts and casual users. To re-state what that other poster said, correlation does not imply causation. Do you get what that means?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
So you are also against; Tobacco, Alcohol, and Caffeine ?
Tobacco, ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Why try to distort words of those you disagree with?

That only reflects negatively toward you, pal.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Using recreational drugs for fun or kicks is actually the only good reason why one should use them. It's when they become a way to escape reality and mask problems that people use them for the wrong reasons.
Good point! To compare with cigarettes again, I smoke those nasty things because I have to - without tobacco I become cranky, spacey, nervous, and shaky after a while. So even though it brings me little pleasure these days, I still smoke them because I'm ADDICTED. Wish I could quit smoking, and boy how I've tried... still trying, but it's soooooo hard to do.

Marijuana, on the other hand, has never given me cravings or withdrawal symptoms. I do it when I can, or when I want, but if I don't have any it's no big deal. If we need to outlaw anything, I'd say alcohol and tobacco should come first... especially when you consider the death rates related to those substances, while marijuana has never been proven to directly kill anyone.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:53 PM

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate... I'm off to dinner now (we never start until 7ish), and after dessert we'll have our annual joint in the pool room. It's a tradition!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
"Why aren't Conservatives as a whole in favor of legalizing marijuana?"

Conservatives still live in the 14th Century. They know that Satan hides in marijuana and is just waiting to come out and claim another soul for hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies