Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:24 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
A poor person pays payroll takes, excise taxes, gasoline taxes, state sales or income taxes, telephone/cable/power/utility/fishing/hunting/ etc. fees or other add ons and ends up, if he/she's lucky being out about half of what they earn on the front end.

A rich person sloughs off a sales tax, an income tax, a gasoline tax, various fees and hires an accountant to be sure he doesn't pay more than 20% total.

The screwing continues...the screwing goes on.
If you really cared about the poor (which you obviously don't) then you would write your represesntatives and tell them to eliminate these taxes.

It's not the rich screwing the poor. It's the government. Re-read your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 03:57 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
rotflmao!!!!!!

Like a Liberal ever gave a damn about corporations...get it straight there man. Liberals are for the labor unions.

I draw a healthy pension. The unions got it for me. When I went to work for Union Carbide in 1952 I was enrolled in a company sharing pension. They put in half and I put in half. After about five years on the job the union negotiated for and won a company pension which required nothing but full time employment. I received a check back from the company which amounted to every penny I had paid into the pension plan for the first five years I was there. I took my family to FL for a weeks vacation.
Tell that to kerry-hienz and pelosi and boxer. You ARE aware their husbands are part of the big business you decry all the time.

And don't forget GE and Disney.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:19 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
A poor person pays payroll takes, excise taxes, gasoline taxes, state sales or income taxes, telephone/cable/power/utility/fishing/hunting/ etc. fees or other add ons and ends up, if he/she's lucky being out about half of what they earn on the front end.

A rich person sloughs off a sales tax, an income tax, a gasoline tax, various fees and hires an accountant to be sure he doesn't pay more than 20% total.

Liberal insanity.

I make over $1 million per year. I live in a state with very high state income taxes. With federal, state, medicare, social security, and local property taxes, I pay about $500K in taxes every year.

Do you expect me to really believe that anyone in the lower tax brackets pay 50% of thier income in taxes? That is pure BS. Try actually paying 50% taxes and see how you like it.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:

How do you figure? Everyone pays Social Security taxes (payroll taxes) and all the other taxes you mentioned. There is no way for "rich" people to escape these taxes.

"Rich" people are paying the largest share of income taxes. Way more than the average citizen. Many pay no income tax at all.

Everyone who buys gasonline pays gasoline taxes.

You don't know what you are talking about. Get your facts straight! You are sounding like an idiot.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Most poor get food satamps;pay no income tax( right at 50% of all payers) and get many more supports such as unearned income credit even when paying no income tax.Then 69% of all federal income taxpayers get more in services than they pay for.That's is the real problem;too many dependents and not enopugh contributors.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
I just love people who want to bitc- about the rich, rich is in the eye of the beholder. Do you not realize the more one makes, the one more pays in taxexs and everything else, if they have no write offs. My Son in his thrirties makes very good money, but excuse me went to College for over 10 years, while working 3 jobs to make ends meat, have you done this. And he is still bettering himself do you. I am sorry but a lot of sucessful People who make decent money, have earned every red penny of it, and then there are those who bitc- about it, but are lazy and want want want, and do nothing to earn it. Maybe you want to pay my Son's taxes for a while, then tell me he pays nothing, i sort of resent what you have said. A lot of people earn the money they make by hard work, and long hard days and nights have you!

Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
Quote:

Do you live on another planet! do you not realize the more one makes, the more one spends on taxes, mortgages, and everything else. Hey why don't you put in 10 years of college as my Son has he is in his early thirties, while working 3 jobs to make ends meat, you can do the same, this is America, You have the choice to go to college, and make a good living for youself or family also, or you can choose to not go to College, in this case, don't bit-- about what you do not have. My Son will get quite a laugh, when i tell him, he has no bills at all, you could trade places with him for 6 months, then tell me he pays nothing in taxes mortgages, and everything else he pays for. He would be glad for you to do what he is doing. Maybe some of the poor should stop depending on the Government to live, and get a good education. This would help. Do you not realize your Government is keeping some POOR!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,527,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yep

there never was a surplus

clinton never had a surplus...it was a projected surplus..that never panned out

what surplus

Fiscal
Year......... YearEnding...... ..National Debt.............. Annual Deficit
FY1994..... 09/30/1994...... $4.192749 trillion.......... $281.26 billion
FY1995..... 09/29/1995...... $4.973982 trillion.......... $281.23 billion
FY1996..... 09/30/1996...... $5.224810 trillion.......... $250.83 billion
FY1997..... 09/30/1997...... $5.413146 trillion.......... $188.34 billion
FY1998..... 09/30/1998...... $5.526193 trillion.......... $113.05 billion
FY1999..... 09/30/1999...... $5.656270 trillion.......... $130.08 billion
FY2000..... 09/29/2000...... $5.674178 trillion.......... $17.91 billion
FY2001..... 09/28/2001...... $5.807463 trillion.......... $133.29 billion

if there was a surplus...then why did the national debt INCREASE

sorry but there never was a real surplus

clinton had PROJECTED annual BUDGET surpluses...but that is based on projected spending..not on ACTUAL spending
Hey, I do that all the time to my hubby. I see some hideous dress at the store, go over to see how much it costs and then tell my husband how much I saved him since I would never consider buying it. HAHA

Monkeying with numbers is fun.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,550,024 times
My total gross income is somewhere in the $35,000 range. I live in a small mobile home with my wife who has multiple spinal problems and her 84 year old father with ongoing medical problems. Money's tight but we make do with what we have. Though my job doesn't pay much, it's steady reliable work with benefits. I work in a hospital boiler room working with the fire alarm system, boilers, generators, heating/cooling system, medical gas system, and on nights and weekends general building maintenance is part of our job. On nights and weekends, only one of us is here to cover all 11 floors of this hospital. I enjoy making the patients comfortable and fixing the little problems that come up. I envy people who make more money and live in a better home and drive a better car. I don't envy their 50 or 60 hour work week on salary and the huge stress they put themselves under. If I earned such huge paychecks and saw nearly 50% of my income going to taxes, I too would be doing whatever I could to reduce that amount and keep the money I earn. I don't whine about my place in life. We're on our way to paying down our debt (much of which is due to all the ongoing medical problems) so that we can put money aside for a better home/car.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 AM

433 posts, read 460,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My total gross income is somewhere in the $35,000 range. I live in a small mobile home with my wife who has multiple spinal problems and her 84 year old father with ongoing medical problems. Money's tight but we make do with what we have. Though my job doesn't pay much, it's steady reliable work with benefits. I work in a hospital boiler room working with the fire alarm system, boilers, generators, heating/cooling system, medical gas system, and on nights and weekends general building maintenance is part of our job. On nights and weekends, only one of us is here to cover all 11 floors of this hospital. I enjoy making the patients comfortable and fixing the little problems that come up. I envy people who make more money and live in a better home and drive a better car. I don't envy their 50 or 60 hour work week on salary and the huge stress they put themselves under. If I earned such huge paychecks and saw nearly 50% of my income going to taxes, I too would be doing whatever I could to reduce that amount and keep the money I earn. I don't whine about my place in life. We're on our way to paying down our debt (much of which is due to all the ongoing medical problems) so that we can put money aside for a better home/car.
Thanks for sharing- I think that folks like you are what makes the country great. I left the Army at 30 with $1000 bucks and no job- used the GI Bill for school and by my mid 30s was in similar circumstances to you. I bought a cheap house, drove an old (paid for) car and ate a lot of chicken, hamburger, and beans. By living well below my means, I paid cash for everything, stayed out of debt and saved what I could. I'm now comfortably retired with no house or car payment.

I feel that I've lived the American dream........................

Dano
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies