Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Imitation crab is cheap and a good source of protein. It's an excellent choice to make. The woman is making her own soup. Isn't that what you advocate?
No. The pot of soup probably costs about $20 to make and then she'll eat some for a couple days then toss the rest. Nobody else in the house eats it (there are 5 people living there). That's not really a good use of resources. It costs about $5 to make a vat of chili, maybe $4 to make pot of split pea soup, those would be better options as far as her food stamp dollars if she wants to make soup.

This goes back to setting a price per pound on meat. Frozen shrimp are like $8/lb. I don't eat imitation crab but a google search comes back with prices between $5 and $13 per pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If her kids don't like it, i doubt that she makes it very often. And even if she does, as long as she eats it all, i don't see the problem. That's the point of the program...buying food that you'll actually eat.

If she purchases steaks, then good. Don't see why that's such a big deal either. I don't expect people on FS to eat fried bologna sandwiches, pigs-in-a-blanket, and hamburgers everyday. There is nothing healthy about that either.
She DOES make it often. She makes it like once a week.

I'm sorry but the kids come first. Other family members have to purchase breakfast foods, drinks and lunch items for the kids b/c the mom won't do it. She spends it on crap SHE wants.

I have a problem with FS being spent on steaks unless they're very cheap frozen steaks. If you're coming back with $8/lb top sirloin, there's a problem.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
She DOES make it often. She makes it like once a week.

I'm sorry but the kids come first. Other family members have to purchase breakfast foods, drinks and lunch items for the kids b/c the mom won't do it. She spends it on crap SHE wants.

I have a problem with FS being spent on steaks unless they're very cheap frozen steaks. If you're coming back with $8/lb top sirloin, there's a problem.
I'm not attacking you, but you seem to be quite picayune in your judgement of people. It's almost as if you enjoy belittleling people because they've fallen on harder times than you obviously have.

I mean, you're taking one case that you have intimate knowledge of and pushing that case as the norm. Besides, don't you have a family of your own? I mean, who knows what other people spend for groceries and how often they make certain meals...and to boot, how often they throw certain foods out?

I have a neighbor who lives across the street who just went into bankruptcy. It would never occur to me to monitor their grocery bills just because they need financial help at this point.

Keep in mind, all of us can find ourselves on hard times. I wouldn't be so cocky if i were you. Like they say, "pride cometh before the fall."

Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I'm not attacking you, but you seem to be quite picayune in your judgement of people. It's almost as if you enjoy belittleling people because they've fallen on harder times than you obviously have.

I mean, you're taking one case that you have intimate knowledge of and pushing that case as the norm. Besides, don't you have a family of your own? I mean, who knows what other people spend for groceries and how often they make certain meals...and to boot, how often they throw certain foods out?

I have a neighbor who lives across the street who just went into bankruptcy. It would never occur to me to monitor their grocery bills just because they need financial help at this point.

Keep in mind, all of us can find ourselves on hard times. I wouldn't be so cocky if i were you. Like they say, "pride cometh before the fall."
It's not picayune at all, it's fact. I don't enjoy belittling anyone, they brought their fate on themselves. Far be it from me to state a fact.

The person I am referring to is in my family. I talk to this person's daughter on a daily basis and her daughter is extremely frustrated with her mom's behavior and the affect it has on the family as a whole.

Bankruptcy is different. People who file bankruptcy cannot do so unless they can pay legal fees and court costs. It's a long drawn-out process. Your credit is ruined. But many lenders see it as a good thing that they faced their problem and are trying to do better for themselves. The vast majority of people who file bankruptcy do not end up on food stamps. Therefore, no, you shouldn't have to worry about what he's buying at the grocery.

You don't know what hard times I've been through. Just b/c I've never been on food stamps doesn't mean money hasn't been tight before. And how am I being cocky? Just because I state that poor people have a responsibility of turning their situation around means I'm a cocky bigot? Sorry but

Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
It's not picayune at all, it's fact. I don't enjoy belittling anyone, they brought their fate on themselves. Far be it from me to state a fact.

The person I am referring to is in my family. I talk to this person's daughter on a daily basis and her daughter is extremely frustrated with her mom's behavior and the affect it has on the family as a whole.

Bankruptcy is different. People who file bankruptcy cannot do so unless they can pay legal fees and court costs. It's a long drawn-out process. Your credit is ruined. But many lenders see it as a good thing that they faced their problem and are trying to do better for themselves. The vast majority of people who file bankruptcy do not end up on food stamps. Therefore, no, you shouldn't have to worry about what he's buying at the grocery.

You don't know what hard times I've been through. Just b/c I've never been on food stamps doesn't mean money hasn't been tight before. And how am I being cocky? Just because I state that poor people have a responsibility of turning their situation around means I'm a cocky bigot? Sorry but
I didn't say anything about you being a bigot....so it's interesting that you responded with use of that word. Hmmmm.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about you being a bigot....so it's interesting that you responded with use of that word. Hmmmm.
*sigh* That's what you were implying, is it not? You were saying I look down on poor people and "belittle" them, so in your mind, I'm a bigot.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
I can't speak for inner city b/c I don't go there and don't know anybody who does, but I know plenty of people on food stamps who buy steaks and seafood. One lady makes a seafood soup that has imitation crab and shrimp and whatnot in it. She's the only one in her house who eats it b/c her kids don't like it. It's not exactly the responsible choice to make. The same person purchases steaks when she wants to impress people by asking them over for dinner.
If you're a kid, you eat what your parents bring you, or you don't eat at all.

Your choice.

I'd rather eat something I didn't like than not eat at all--and I often didn't get to eat as a kid.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
Well after reading through 36 pages of acrimony it's my turn.

I'm a 60 year old single female 99er who is currently on SNAPS - that'd be food stamps to you.

First, for over 40 years I worked and my tax dollars went into the system...so don't tell me your money is paying for my food stamps.

Second, while I was recieving unemployment I was still having taxes taken out, another little item people seem to forget - we have to pay taxes on our UI nor are we elegible for UI to begin with if we haven't worked so that means we were taxed on the dollars we made while working and we are taxed again on the dollars we get when on UI.

I have a small refrigerator so I don't buy in bulk and many things go bad if I do try, being single I just can't get through stuff before it goes bad.

I also live rural and my grocery store options are limited without spending a lot on gas for a 50+ mile round trip. Another issue of living rural, is we do loose electricity on occasion so I have to be careful not to over buy at anyone time to make sure I don't loose everything.

I have to watch what I spend to stretch my monthly allotment to the end of the month and I buy what's on sale. I have dietary restrictions due to health issues that make it impossible to stay on...eating health is not cheap. Buying in bulk for the most part is not cost effective for me. Deli potato salad was on sale this week so I bought some - to have bought the ingredients for it would have been way more expensive and much would have gone bad before I got to the end of them, this is just one example.

I will be the first to admit I hate to cook but being single I have found that my dollar goes farther with some of the frozen food meals if I buy them on sale vs buying all the fixin's to make from scratch.

I am only one of many millions right now who, have paid their taxes for decades but have lost their jobs and will be on the SNAPS program until we find work.

I would also like to address the issue of cooking, the homeless are elegible for food stamps so their only options are to get pre-packaged and pre-cooked food, they have no way to cook and this could be me soon.

One more thing, I'm old enough to remember the gov't surplus food programs and the food was for the most part NOT nutritious, many of my sisters and brothers who were raised in the reservation system got that type of food and it created generations of people with heart disease and diabetes and more.

Lastly, to all the food police on here I'm 60 years old and for the most part I do have good eating habits but on occasion I do buy a 1/2 of a cake or the roll of nestle pre-made cookie dough I can pop in the oven....GET OVER IT.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

I'm a 60 year old single female 99er who is currently on SNAPS - that'd be food stamps to you.

First, for over 40 years I worked and my tax dollars went into the system...so don't tell me your money is paying for my food stamps.

Second, while I was recieving unemployment I was still having taxes taken out, another little item people seem to forget - we have to pay taxes on our UI nor are we elegible for UI to begin with if we haven't worked so that means we were taxed on the dollars we made while working and we are taxed again on the dollars we get when on UI.

I have a small refrigerator so I don't buy in bulk and many things go bad if I do try, being single I just can't get through stuff before it goes bad.

I also live rural and my grocery store options are limited without spending a lot on gas for a 50+ mile round trip. Another issue of living rural, is we do loose electricity on occasion so I have to be careful not to over buy at anyone time to make sure I don't loose everything.

I have to watch what I spend to stretch my monthly allotment to the end of the month and I buy what's on sale. I have dietary restrictions due to health issues that make it impossible to stay on...eating health is not cheap. Buying in bulk for the most part is not cost effective for me. Deli potato salad was on sale this week so I bought some - to have bought the ingredients for it would have been way more expensive and much would have gone bad before I got to the end of them, this is just one example.

I will be the first to admit I hate to cook but being single I have found that my dollar goes farther with some of the frozen food meals if I buy them on sale vs buying all the fixin's to make from scratch.

I am only one of many millions right now who, have paid their taxes for decades but have lost their jobs and will be on the SNAPS program until we find work.

I would also like to address the issue of cooking, the homeless are elegible for food stamps so their only options are to get pre-packaged and pre-cooked food, they have no way to cook and this could be me soon.

One more thing, I'm old enough to remember the gov't surplus food programs and the food was for the most part NOT nutritious, many of my sisters and brothers who were raised in the reservation system got that type of food and it created generations of people with heart disease and diabetes and more.

Lastly, to all the food police on here I'm 60 years old and for the most part I do have good eating habits but on occasion I do buy a 1/2 of a cake or the roll of nestle pre-made cookie dough I can pop in the oven....GET OVER IT.
NO COOKIES FOR YOU!!!!

Great post by the way and I'm with you 100%.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

If you are one with good eating habits, you would not be affected by our bans on crap food.

Many people who are on UE do not opt to have taxes taken out, and even if they do, most end up getting it all back and then some.

You are an exception, not the rule. You seem to realize that food stamps are meant for temporary use. You use yours wisely. Most don't. I wish there were some statistics on this, but since there's not, all we have to go on is anecdotal evidence of watching others in the grocery store and seeing how our friends/family members choose to behave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies