Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:21 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is exactly why creationists aren't taken seriously.

Do you know what a scientific theory is? Do you know how it differentiates from a layman's definition of theory?
Yet, in the end, their both still theories and not facts, huh? Sucks for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 08:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Yet, in the end, their both still theories and not facts, huh? Sucks for you.
That's where you're wrong.

Scientific theory:

Quote:
In the sciences, a scientific theory comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations, and is put forth as a principle or body of principles for explaining a class of phenomena

Layman's theory:

Quote:
A hunch, or guess
Get it? The THEORY of evolution is, essentially, the FACT of evolution.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No, actually, evolution has been fairly well proven by scientific methods. As has been previously stated, however, evolution doesn't conflict with craeationism.
I'll ask you the same thing that I asked another poster then: When did the "theory of evolution" become the "fact of evolution?" Time and date preferably; thanks.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's where you're wrong.

Scientific theory:

Layman's theory:

Get it? The THEORY of evolution is, essentially, the FACT of evolution.

Using your logic, or lack thereof, it is currently the "theory of night" where I live, and tomorrow it'll be the "theory of day" when I wake up. Get outta here with your trendy hipster wannabe psychobabble. lol @ YOU!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
So in other words, they're both theories, yes?
If you don't know what a theory is, sure.

I don't see you arguing against universal acceptance of the theory that diseases are caused by microorganisms, though. Or general relativity. After all, those are "just" theories as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I can't speak for those on the left but I do love evolution and find it amazing and with enough evidence to support it as being factual. However you are right about one thing, it does bug me that religion has so much power and influence this day in age as I find the suspension of rational thought in favor of believing something that that has more interpretations than grains of sand on a beach to be the basis for its foundation. For the record, I'm no atheist for the exact same reasons. Religion is man made construction of pageantry and doctrine around a set of common beliefs. In the case of Christianity, these are the beliefs of people who were herding sheep in a small patch of desert 2000 years ago, believed the earth was flat, rotated around the sun and put to death millions of people over the course of its existence in the name of tolerance and love. God may or may not exist, I don't know but the rules and laws that develop around the various beliefs that become religion are something I take exception with. Namely because they are a smörgåsbord where different people who believe at varying degrees will pick and choose which part of their religious texts are relevant to their lives and discard the rest through a variety of rationalization when it doesn't suit them.

We can ridicule and chide Jews, Muslim, blacks, whites, hispanics, libertards, and repukes, gays, and we can refer to people as teabaggers, loony liberals, rednecks, trailer trash, and Nazi's, and immoral due to lack of faith but when the holy sacred cow of the Christian religion is mocked, we reach for the sword of self righteous indignation in its defense, even when it is often those of this belief who are making many of the above listed charges against others.

Argumentum ad populum or the belief that something is true because large numbers of people believe it is true. At the time the bible was written, the majority of people believed the earth to be flat, but this does not make it true. So because something is believed by people, even large numbers of people does not exclude it from ridicule, challenge and mockery anymore than someone claiming the sun revolves around the earth today.

I understand why Gandhi said, "I like your Christ but I do not like your Christians, because they are so unlike your Christ"
People can hate religion or love it makes no difference to me... my problem is with people who "choose" to make religion an issue... there are so many things that are more important than attacking someone else's religion... in fact, I don't think anyone has a right to attack someone else's belief if the belief does not involve you personally... if you walk into a store and they are celebrating Christmas, well that's fine with me... if I walk into a bank and they are celebrating Hanukkah, that's fine with me too... the problem today are that liberals don't like it when people/companies/whatever are celebrating what these people wanted to celebrate and have been celebrating the past decade or more... I don't remember anyone asking the whiners if they have their permission to celebrate something they want and did themselves... liberals are among the worst in this aspect...

Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
People can hate religion or love it makes no difference to me... my problem is with people who "choose" to make religion an issue... there are so many things that are more important than attacking someone else's religion... in fact, I don't think anyone has a right to attack someone else's belief if the belief does not involve you personally... if you walk into a store and they are celebrating Christmas, well that's fine with me... if I walk into a bank and they are celebrating Hanukkah, that's fine with me too... the problem today are that liberals don't like it when people/companies/whatever are celebrating what these people wanted to celebrate and have been celebrating the past decade or more... I don't remember anyone asking the whiners if they have their permission to celebrate something they want and did themselves... liberals are among the worst in this aspect...
It's actually quite simple; Liberal Tolerance is America's greatest oxymoron.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
If you don't know what a theory is, sure.

I don't see you arguing against universal acceptance of the theory that diseases are caused by microorganisms, though. Or general relativity. After all, those are "just" theories as well.
Not to mention the theory of gravity.

I recommend the OP read this:

Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Recently there's been a wave of threads mocking Christians who believe in creationism or intelligent design, utilizing the usual tactics of the leftist playbook, calling us dumb, ignorant, "against science", etc; yet according to all polls over 75% of Americans believe that a creator was involved in the formation of the earth. The irony is no one was there so it's faith either way. I happen to believe that it takes a lot more faith to believe that earth was created out of random coincidental happenstance as opposed to the hand of a brilliant creator. Leftists, why do you love evolution so much?
I'm not a religious person, but I find it curious that every life form on earth seems to instinctively know what to do to survive. When scientists can explain why a spider just knows how to spin a web, then I'll put more faith in their ability to explain away the evolution of life.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No, actually, evolution has been fairly well proven by scientific methods. As has been previously stated, however, evolution doesn't conflict with craeationism.
I'm going to have to break with you here but they do conflict in the order in which things were created.

The Bible states that the first living things were the plants on the land and then all creatures in the water, whereas Evolution states that they were prokaryotes living far in the deep sea. Not only that, but the first land plants didn't appear until the Paleozoic era.

To say nothing of the fact that the plants were there without sun or that the Bible curiously omitts information about archae and bacteria. Why? Becaue humans didn't learn of them for thousands of years. An omniscient god however would have no excuse for such a lapse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies