Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times

Advertisements

Not too many years ago, Pit bulls were America's favorite family dog.

Petey on the Little Rascals was a "Pit Bull".

Helen Keller had a pitbull as her companion animal.

Alaska's first Certified Hearing Dog was a pitbull named RCA.

Pit Bulls are widely used as therapy dogs. The Chako Rescue Association for the American Pit Bull Terrier has a therapy dog program that exclusively uses Pit Bulls.
Because of their high pain threshold and stable temperament, they do not bite or snap when accidentally bumped by a wheelchair or walker.

Pit Bulls also excel at search and rescue.

Pet Pitbull - Positive Press

This breed is one of the most loving and loyal breeds that exist today.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-12-2010 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:53 AM

289 posts, read 570,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Pitbull owners lack common sense.
I assume you're talking about yourself as well. Just because I own a pit doen't imply that I lack common sense. People who make comments like this are those who lack common sense.

I'm not going to say that my pit won't bit you. He may. I will say that he never has bitten anyone. Not even my cats. In fact he kisses my cats. I will say that he's up to date on his shots, gets his annual rabies shot, is registered, microchipped, & never turned loose outside off his leash.

Now, I have heard him growl at my friends 16 year old cousin. Why? I don't know. She's never done anything to him that he should take an instant disliking to her but he has. When she's over he gets put in his kennal. I'm not taking the chance that he's going to bit her. I would never take that chance. I think that shows great common sense on my part of being a responsible pit bull owner.

And before you start in on not knowing the dogs background from before I got him, you'd be wrong on that front to. I got him from my brother when he was 9 weeks old & my brother has had & still has his mom & dad since they were both about 7 weeks old. So yes. I know my dog, his background & his his parents history.

And I can also tell you that the only one to ever bit anyone was mines daddy. He bit my mom because she was leading him over an electric fence without turning it off & he got tangled in it & bit down on the 1st thing he found. It happened to have been her wrist.

Totally my moms for not turning off the fence like I told her to & waiting until I was done cooking to help her like I said I would. She will tell you that it was her fault & she in no way blames the dog.

So think & use some of your own common sense before stereotyping next time.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
I assume you're talking about yourself as well. Just because I own a pit doen't imply that I lack common sense. People who make comments like this are those who lack common sense.

I'm not going to say that my pit won't bit you. He may. I will say that he never has bitten anyone. Not even my cats. In fact he kisses my cats. I will say that he's up to date on his shots, gets his annual rabies shot, is registered, microchipped, & never turned loose outside off his leash.

Now, I have heard him growl at my friends 16 year old cousin. Why? I don't know. She's never done anything to him that he should take an instant disliking to her but he has. When she's over he gets put in his kennal. I'm not taking the chance that he's going to bit her. I would never take that chance. I think that shows great common sense on my part of being a responsible pit bull owner.

And before you start in on not knowing the dogs background from before I got him, you'd be wrong on that front to. I got him from my brother when he was 9 weeks old & my brother has had & still has his mom & dad since they were both about 7 weeks old. So yes. I know my dog, his background & his his parents history.

And I can also tell you that the only one to ever bit anyone was mines daddy. He bit my mom because she was leading him over an electric fence without turning it off & he got tangled in it & bit down on the 1st thing he found. It happened to have been her wrist.

Totally my moms for not turning off the fence like I told her to & waiting until I was done cooking to help her like I said I would. She will tell you that it was her fault & she in no way blames the dog.

So think & use some of your own common sense before stereotyping next time.

you need to use about 40 or 50 more emoticons, n00bie

Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Newsflash, many large breeds and medium dog breeds are on the "aggressive breed list" by insurance companies, including your examples of labs and goldens.

Dog Politics: List Of 75 Banned Or Restricted Breeds - Is Your Dog On The List?
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
63. PUG

Yea!!!! Both of mine made the list . I've got a 8 month old puppy who is at least part pug & she's meaner than my pitbull has ever thought about being. I got her in March & she was about 5 or 6 weeks old & she's already given me new scars. I got my pitbull when he was 9 weeks old & 4 1/2 years later & I've not gotten 1 scar from him. We've said she's the one that will bit you & then kiss you or vise versa. She's more likely to bit you than my pit is.

Heck my vet called my puppy a "pocket pitbull". I told him "I've got a pitbull & she's meaner than he is." And that was when she was about 8 weeks old!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
you need to use about 40 or 50 more emoticons, n00bie
I can use as many emoticons as I choose to, smarta$$......

Old 11-13-2010, 03:38 AM

My wish is that all of you calling for the ban on pitbulls get bit in the butt by a poodle!!!!

Shark attacks are in the news way more often then dog attacks, why are you not calling for the ban of all sharks?

Roosters are also raised & bred for **** fighting. Why are you not calling for the ban on all roosters?

Snakes kill more people & animals a year than pitbulls do. Why aren't you calling for the ban on snakes?

More people are killed by drunk drivers in 1 year than are attacked by a dog. Why not call for a ban on all alochol?

Stop being hyprocrites. Open your minds. Do alittle research, you may learn something new. Something that might actually make you stop & think that maybe your opionions are wrong. Be willing to see both sides of the fence before making up your minds.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
My guess is that posting here about pitbulls is like preaching to the choir. People who are going to be reading here are going to be responsible, caring pit owners. I don't think anyone is questioning responsible pit owners, or their dogs. But honestly, what do you do about the irresponsible ones? There can be no denying that an untrained pitbull has greater potential for damage than an untrained lab. Sure, both can bite, but we all know that there is a difference.

For all the pit advocates out there, if you don't want the breed banned, what do you suggest? I don't imagine things can go on as they are. Bigger fines for puppy mills? Bigger fines for owners whose dogs are aggressive? I still think the irresponsible owners are not going to care or know about such things, but I don't really have a good suggestion.

Here is a consolidated list of "high risk" breeds according to insurers.
Dogs that could cause homeowners insurance rates to rise

Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
Since we are speaking of Pitbulls, thought I would share this video. My pitbull Smokey is in it. When we moved from South Dakota to Ohio, we had to give him upo After 8yrs of having him- It was the hardest thing we ever had to do. Thankfully we found an AMAZING family, the McNamara's, to take him in. They advocate for the breed. Smokey lived with them for about 5 mths before he passed away He was showing signs of hip displaysia a year earlier and it just made the fellow age faster. Poor guy- I still miss him with all of my heart. The video also features one of Michael Vick's pits and talks about the history of the breed

The Dog Files

Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 AM

93 posts, read 130,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My guess is that posting here about pitbulls is like preaching to the choir. People who are going to be reading here are going to be responsible, caring pit owners. I don't think anyone is questioning responsible pit owners, or their dogs. But honestly, what do you do about the irresponsible ones? There can be no denying that an untrained pitbull has greater potential for damage than an untrained lab. Sure, both can bite, but we all know that there is a difference.

For all the pit advocates out there, if you don't want the breed banned, what do you suggest? I don't imagine things can go on as they are. Bigger fines for puppy mills? Bigger fines for owners whose dogs are aggressive? I still think the irresponsible owners are not going to care or know about such things, but I don't really have a good suggestion.

Here is a consolidated list of "high risk" breeds according to insurers.
Dogs that could cause homeowners insurance rates to rise

This kind of thinking is where the problem begins. Stop with the pit bull compared to a lab bull crap. They can both be extremely dangerous dogs if put into the wrong hands. Just ask my cousin who had to get emergency plastic surgery when she was eight years old because a Yellow Lab ripped her face off. So I have no patience for that argument "well a lab wouldn't do this". Grow up and stop being ignorant! And with the insurers argument, are you freakin kidding me, now we should place our dog expert knowledge trust in Insurance companies?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Did the kid provoke the dog? Just a question... .
A three day old? Yes, let's blame the baby!

I have never had a dog, and I don't particularly like them, though I've warmed to dogs over the years. However, I do have children, and I think the last thing a busy new mom would need to be doing is dealing with an unpredictable dog. I would think it better to wait until the kids don't need so much supervision to get a Pit Bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies