Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times

Advertisements

[quote=Alley01;16410895]
Quote:
No matter what breed of dog you have, they should never be left unattended with children. That is the biggest mistake
That is true.

Quote:
These dogs aren't born with instincts to kill
That is not true...

The pit bull's unusual breeding history has produced some bizarre behavioral traits, de- scribed by The Economist's science editor in an article published a few years ago, at the peak of a heated British controversy over dangerous dogs that saw the pit bull banned in England. First, the pit bull is quicker to anger than most dogs, probably due to the breed's unusually high level of the neurotransmitter L-tyrosine. Second, pit bulls are frighteningly tenacious; their attacks frequently last for 15 minutes or longer, and nothing—hoses, violent blows or kicks—can easily stop them. That's because of the third behavioral anomaly: the breed's remarkable insensitivity to pain.

Most dogs beaten in a fight will submit the next time they see the victor. Not a defeated pit bull, who will tear into his onetime vanquisher. This, too, has to do with brain chemistry. The body releases endorphins as a natural painkiller. Pit bulls seem extra-sensitive to endorphins and may generate higher levels of the chemical than other dogs. Endorphins are also addictive: "The dogs may be junkies, seeking pain so they can get the endorphin buzz they crave," The Economist suggests

Finally, most dogs warn you before they attack, growling or barking to tell you how angry they are—"so they don't have to fight," ASPCA advisor and animal geneticist Stephen Zawistowski stresses. Not the pit bull, which attacks without warning. Most dogs, too, will bow to signal that they want to frolic. Again, not the pit bull, which may follow an apparently playful bow with a lethal assault.

Scared of Pit Bulls? You’d Better Be! by Brian C. Anderson, City Journal Spring 1999

"Different breeds have genetic predispositions to certain kinds of behavior, though that can be influenced by how they are raised. The pit bull is an innately aggressive breed, often owned by someone who wants an aggressive dog, so they're going to encourage it."

The breed should be phased out...period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Anyone who says dogs aren't born with an instinct to kill is truly clueless.
Of course they are! They are predators and they'd pretty much die if they didn't have the instinct to hunt and kill prey.

Of course the bad owner of any dog is more responsible for the bad outcome than the dog itself. Not just because of the training and socialization (btw, it seems like hardly anyone does either of those things anymore), but because the owner is responsible for containing the dog, making sure it's not left alone with potential victims, etc. The owner is supposed to be in control. It's like driving a car - you are ultimately responsible for everything it does. It's a great thing to have, but it can ultimately be turned into a deadly weapon if you are the slightest bit negligent.

But you can't be so PC as to think there is no difference between the temperaments and inclinations of various dog breeds. Bad breeding, genetics, physiology, the general nature of what the dog was bred for...all of these must be taken into account. And for those reasons, several dogs are just more inclined to not only bite you but to maul you. On the other hand, there are breeds that are the opposite. Every breed will have its bad actors, but let's be real - pit bulls are more responsible for more mortality and morbidity than, say, Lassie.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Um, it's all about how you raise them.

Dogs live in an hierarchical society. The fact that your dog is not with other dogs does not mean your dog is not living in an hierarchical society.

If you don't understand that, then I'm real sorry about your luck.

Because dogs are programmed to live in an hierarchical society, that means that if you have small children, you NEVER, and never means at no time ever, allow a dog on the furniture.

To allow a dog on the furniture is to tell the dog in no uncertain terms that the rank structure in this hierarchy puts the child below the dog.

Because the child is below the dog in rank, that means the dog has the right to discipline the child.

And how do dogs discipline? They bite on the nose.

Doh!

Now, who here wants to ask a really stupid question like why do dogs always bite children in the face?

Thank you very little.

So if grandma has a dog and grandma allows the dog to sit on the couch, then you never, meaning at no time ever, take you infant to grandma's house unless grandma chains the dog up outside or locks the dog in another room.

Why? Because that dog is superior in rank to anything below it and if that 18 month old grabs the dogs tail, the dog will discipline the child by attempting to bite the child on the nose, which usually ends up being in the face since humans don't have a snout.

If you are going to have large dogs and small children in your house, then you need to exercise your duty as the "leader of the pack" and make certain your dog knows its proper place in the hierarchy.

I don't recommend that you try to bite the dog in the nose, but you can smack the dog in the nose with the back of your hand or a rolled up magazine or newspaper. It doesn't have to be a Babe Ruth Sultan of Swat, but it needs to be more than a love-tap.

Instead of putting down the dogs, we ought to be putting down the "owners" for being stupid in a No-Stupid Zone.
Sorry, "ifs" and "shoulds" just don't save children, and 250 lb. postmen, from attack.

People will NOT get smarter because you say they "should".

Anyone who uses a child to prove a point about a dog is very ill and should be be locked up.

To place your ego above the life of another human is just nuts...

Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The parents left a newborn on a bed...alone... with a dog in the same room. Most dogs get confused and wouldn't know what to do with a squirming, possibly whimpering, crying little baby and what do most predators do in situations like that? They forcibly stop it from making noise. It's not rocket science, people.

YOU DON'T LEAVE A CHILD ALONE IN A ROOM WITH A DOG, PERIOD. I don't care what breed it is. The pit bull is a terrier, and terriers go after rodents and other small animals...newborns included. The stupidity of that poor newborns parents got it killed.
I agree.

Children should NEVER be left alone with ANY dog,.. PERIOD.

Small dogs like Pomeranians and even Chihuahua's have killed babies.
Sadly, it's the parents and caregivers that are to blame.

Regardless of the dog's breed or their "temperament", no small child should be left alone with any dog.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-11-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 PM

320 posts, read 290,347 times
Pitbulls are no different than other dogs. Only that they could actually harm somebody.

I have had Pitbulls and I raise them as house pets. Never had them attack anyone or my other dogs. If you don't know how to properly train dogs then you shouldn't get one. Simple as that. I also wouldn't recommend them to be trained as guard dogs. And I wouldn't leave ANY big to mid-size dog unattended with children.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Pitbulls are no different than other dogs. Only that they could actually harm somebody.

I have had Pitbulls and I raise them as house pets. Never had them attack anyone or my other dogs. If you don't know how to properly train dogs then you shouldn't get one. Simple as that. I also wouldn't recommend them to be trained as guard dogs. And I wouldn't leave ANY big to mid-size dog unattended with children.
All good points. The potential damage from an untrained pitbull is much greater than say a golden retriever by virtue of their jaw strength and instincts. It just is.

I agree with everyone who talked about socialization. We have a 100lb golden, and as a puppy we took her everywhere, especially where there were many small children. We used to host playgroups where she had 10 toddlers loving on her, pulling on her. We always made the kids feed her when she was small, take her food away from her, sit next to her when she ate. I would never have a dog around my kids that had not been very well socialized to kids.

I don't think the training is any different from breed to breed, but the bigger, stronger, and more head-strong the breed, the more necessary it is for proper training. I wonder if a larger percentage of pitbull owners don't train them at present? Just wondering?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post

Here's some more "ifs" and "shoulds"....they don't save people from attacks. AND so many pitbull owners whose dogs attacked somone seem to say," Duhhh, he never did that before" DUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
All good points. The potential damage from an untrained pitbull is much greater than say a golden retriever by virtue of their jaw strength and instincts. It just is.

I agree with everyone who talked about socialization. We have a 100lb golden, and as a puppy we took her everywhere, especially where there were many small children. We used to host playgroups where she had 10 toddlers loving on her, pulling on her. We always made the kids feed her when she was small, take her food away from her, sit next to her when she ate. I would never have a dog around my kids that had not been very well socialized to kids.

I don't think the training is any different from breed to breed, but the bigger, stronger, and more head-strong the breed, the more necessary it is for proper training. I wonder if a larger percentage of pitbull owners don't train them at present? Just wondering?
A large percentage of dog owners don't train their dogs...they LIKE having obnoxious, destructive pets that rule their lives....I guess....

Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM

93 posts, read 130,079 times
Ive noticed that most world class dog trainers own pit bulls. If they're such mindless killing machines I wonder why so many dog experts own them?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times
Pit bulls are animal aggressive.
Not human aggressive.

They where bred to be human friendly.

Dogfighters back in the day didn't want their dogs biting them in the middle of a fight.

You can get right up to their faces during a fight.

They where bred NOT to bite humans.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
All these statements defending pits are very touching, but the fact remains that there seem to be an increasing number of these stories. I have no doubt that the overwhelming common thread is irresponsible pet owners who have not trained the animals, and have obtained these dogs from suspect breeders, but the fact remains they have, can, and will kill children and pets.

What is the solution?

Last edited by Zimbochick; 11-11-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies