Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
No matter what breed of dog you have, they should never be left unattended with children. That is the biggest mistake with all of these incidents. These dogs aren't born with instincts to kill - they have to be taught that. I still am very much against banning a breed. I think that the parents should be held accountable. I would never leave my dogs alone with any children even though one is a therapy dog. It is just common sense and a simple way that I can ensure that tragedy will never happen. When will people learn?
Don't believe dogs are born with the instinct to kill? Yeah, thats why a year old dog will kill and eat a squirrel or a rabbit without a second thought huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
As awful as this is. Why do people not start threads about other breeds of dogs that kill or harm someone?

Any dog can bite or harm its about how they are raised. I know many pits that never bite a single person their entire life. Why arent people starting threads about them?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Pitbull owners lack common sense.
Unfortunately, that's partially true. The APBT loyalty and willingness to please has been both helpful and detrimental to their owners. Most pit bulls will do anything for their owners...including harm other creatures, which is why they're so popular with 'thugs' and criminals.

Remember the Michael Vick dogs? Most of them were rehabilitated and adopted out...some to families. It's pretty incredible how these dogs bounced back, even after they were abused by terrible people.

What Happened to Michael Vick's Dogs? Jim Gorant Tells the Story in His New Book - Paw Nation

I am a PROUD pit bull owner.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
I guess i could call my self one of those idiots, who in defense of some pit-bulls i know, thought the same way, it is all how they have been raised. The ones i have been around, have been very loving, playful, love walks, to play, although, my guard was always up around them, I am beginning to feel that there is something within the breed themselves, to make them a ticking time bomb. How many of these cases have we heard, of a pet pit-bull, killing a child or a baby, it was raised with. Or attacks on People that these dogs have never been around, and have no reason for the attacks. I no longer trust them, something about this breed, but then again, anyone of us can say the same thing about any other dog breed.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I guess i could call my self one of those idiots, who in defense of some pit-bulls i know, thought the same way, it is all how they have been raised. The ones i have been around, have been very loving, playful, love walks, to play, although, my guard was always up around them, I am beginning to feel that there is something within the breed themselves, to make them a ticking time bomb. How many of these cases have we heard, of a pet pit-bull, killing a child or a baby, it was raised with. Or attacks on People that these dogs have never been around, and have no reason for the attacks. I no longer trust them, something about this breed, but then again, anyone of us can say the same thing about any other dog breed.
Quite frankly it is not adviseable to leave small children alone with any dog, regardless of the breed or how well the adult trusts the animal. In this case the dog should not have had access to the newborn's room. Very tragic.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,610,724 times
trash.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM

888 posts, read 1,187,220 times
Dog's, like ALL animals, can be unpredictable?
Pit Bulls can be wonderful animals, with a GOOD owner.

Steve

Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Dad: Dog That Killed Baby 'Very Loving' - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/25516673/detail.html - broken link)

So sad!

And in a separate attack on Monday, a 5 yr. old Florida boy was attacked by a pit bull who then was shot after charging at police officers.

I know that even if 10 children were fatally attacked by pit bulls in Florida on the same day, there are those people who would continue to say, "It's all about how you raise them."

Yet, as the number of children severely wounded or killed by this particular breed continues to rise, those words sound more hollow.
I don't think you want to get in to using statistics to snub out particular group of anything living.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Yes, they are more prone to attacking. Yes, it IS the breed. No, not all pitbulls are violent. With a lot of dedication and time, it is possible to have a pitbull who does not attack. You need a LOT of experience with dog training to do so. However, the sad thing is, 99% of people who buy/adopt pitbulls just aren't ready to handle such a dog. THAT is the problem.

And that was definitely the case in this situation. It's not okay to leave ANY dog alone with a baby, much less a pitbull.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 PM

250 posts, read 379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Quite frankly it is not adviseable to leave small children alone with any dog, regardless of the breed or how well the adult trusts the animal. In this case the dog should not have had access to the newborn's room. Very tragic.
good point. Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies