Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Newsflash, many large breeds and medium dog breeds are on the "aggressive breed list" by insurance companies, including your examples of labs and goldens.

Dog Politics: List Of 75 Banned Or Restricted Breeds - Is Your Dog On The List?
1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG
26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADO DOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLAND HUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND
61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ
Pugs and Bulldogs? Really?!? My bf's English Bulldog is so lazy he has to take rests while walking from the kitchen to the living room. (About 20 feet.) This is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Quite frankly it is not adviseable to leave small children alone with any dog, regardless of the breed or how well the adult trusts the animal. In this case the dog should not have had access to the newborn's room. Very tragic.
Oh and i whole heartly agree with you. Parents should never ever leave even the most trusting of dogs or puppies with small children, and never ever with a baby. Animals are our pets, yes, but still do not know what can set them off. We had some of the most loving trustful dogs when my children were growing up, many moons ago. Still never let my small children alone with the dogs. My dogs would love ya to death, lick you up, still, you don't leave the babies or small children alone, common sense should tell you this. I don't understand the concept of parents leaving their small children or babies alone with a pit-bull honestly i do not. Common sense, tells you the history of this breed, and when the parents say it was only for a moment, this drives me insane. Well it only takes that one moment.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
I think many pit bull owners who buy pit bulls so they can feel " macho" should buy a motorcycle instead.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The parents left a newborn on a bed...alone... with a dog in the same room. Most dogs get confused and wouldn't know what to do with a squirming, possibly whimpering, crying little baby and what do most predators do in situations like that? They forcibly stop it from making noise. It's not rocket science, people.

YOU DON'T LEAVE A CHILD ALONE IN A ROOM WITH A DOG, PERIOD. I don't care what breed it is. The pit bull is a terrier, and terriers go after rodents and other small animals...newborns included. The stupidity of that poor newborns parents got it killed.
Having 4 terriers I have to agree. Mine are rat terriers. Having seen many pits I know they can be great dogs but they are extemly large and have a great deal of power. even without intent they can injure from their mass. It is a breed that can be a good dog but one an owner should never drop their guard on... otherwise these tragedies happen.

I had this dumba$$ neighbor that had some nasty pitbulls... 13 in all breeding them and I once made the comment I was surprised she had small kids around them... her response was if they hurt my kids, I'd kill them.... ummmm lady... too late. So I have to agree it's the owners more than the dogs that are the problems.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
Pit bulls are banned in Miami-Dade County. More counties need to enact similar bans. Personally I think the entire breed should be wiped out. We have hundreds (thousands?) of breeds of dogs for anyone who wants a pet. We have no need to continue this breed that has proven, time and time again, to be dangerous. Many experiements in breeding have been successful. It is time to admit this breeding experiment was a failure and eliminate it.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
There is a reason certain dog breeds have a reputation. No it is not just how you treat the dog and he'll for sure be a sweetie if you treat him like one. How often do you hear a story like this and the dog involved is basset hound, collie or lab? Not nearly as often. Yes it can happen with any dog, so then why not at least get one that is less likely to be temperamental?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Pit bulls are banned in Miami-Dade County. More counties need to enact similar bans. Personally I think the entire breed should be wiped out. We have hundreds (thousands?) of breeds of dogs for anyone who wants a pet. We have no need to continue this breed that has proven, time and time again, to be dangerous. Many experiements in breeding have been successful. It is time to admit this breeding experiment was a failure and eliminate it.
There would be absolutely no way of doing this... there are at least 50 different breeds that get mistaken for pit bulls all the time. Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

My parents have a black lab that looks an awful lot like a pit bull...should we kill him just because he 'kind of looks' like a certain breed?

There's a poster on this forum that had her boxers taken away (in Colorado, I believe) because they were 'pit bulls'....

Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,898 times
Quote:
Yet they have so many problems proving what dogs are pitbulls or what aren't. There is no accurate DNA test to prove whether or not the dog is a pitbull. This law is only enforced if there is an incident. Go to Miami and you will see Pit Bulls around. As long as they don't cause trouble, nothing happens.

You can ban all you want to but without the appropriate level of enforcement it will fall on deaf ears. There are many laws on the books that are not enforced unless they absolutely have to be. Such as in a legal case for example caused by something else like bodily injury, etc.

It is like the 21st century form of segregation... Let's isolate one group from another? Not a good solution IMO.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times
The owners should be charged with manslaughter or child neglect.

I'm glad that at least one lawmaker cares enough to change the law:

"One local lawmaker is working to change the state's law on dangerous dogs. State Sen. Tony Hill said this latest tragedy of an infant dying gives him more reason to push for change."

This is unbelievable :

"The current law, which was passed in 1990, prohibits counties from passing laws that are specific to certain breeds, meaning there cannot be special restrictions for pit bulls, for instance."

Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM

122 posts, read 200,557 times
Quote:
As bad as this is going to sound considering my love for the APBT I would rather see the breed die out versus face scrutiny and fall into the hands of irresponsible people. I am sick and tired of the media having a field day every time there is a "pit bull" attack. If the breed dies off there will always be another breed in the line of fire.

I suggest you look up the history of the APBT and find the "breeding experiment" as you call it did not have ANY problems until the 1970's. Considering this breed was brought to America in the 1880's I think the temperament of the breed speaks for itself. Do you think somewhere down the line humans are to blame for what is going on?

And I do not agree with "it's all how you raise them". Bad breeding is bad breeding period. You can not undo what genetics has done. If Joe Schmo wants to breed a pit bull with an aggressive breed the end result is unavoidable.

I am sure the gang from Little Rascals was in fear for their lives. Did anyone notice how many bite marks they had from Petey?

Talk to any dog behaviourist or trainer and they will tell you a dog does not bite out of the clear blue sky. Yes, there are warning signs but people are too freaking stupid to know what they are.

And here again we have an incident where the animal gets blamed for negligent owners. It never fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies