Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM

122 posts, read 200,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think many pit bull owners who buy pit bulls so they can feel " macho" should buy a motorcycle instead.
Riiight. I am a 42 year old woman, married, first time mom and work for a Fortune 500 company. Don't paint all pit bull owners with the same brush thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Perhaps they were wrong.

There are many breeds of dogs and I guess I do not understand why someone would choose a pit bull, given thier history.
Read up on the history you are speaking of. Don't talk nonsense if you can't back it up.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM

And what do we have here. Well my word there are actually other breeds that have killed children!

http://badbreeders.net/2007/03/31/ba...er-blames-dog/

Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl

Whose Fault is it? Siberian Husky Kills Newborn

Siberian Husky Bites, Kills Newborn Baby (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/siberian-husky-bites-killes-newborn-baby-feb-19-2010 - broken link)

Family dog mauls toddler to death - KSWB

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Art...llDogsBite.htm

Untitled Document (http://www.workingpitbull.com/fatalbook.htm - broken link)

Last edited by princessbing68; 10-27-2010 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Added more information

Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 PM

93 posts, read 130,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I think they should ban any further breeding of pitbulls and let the breed just die out in this country.

I 100 percent agree!! These poor dogs go through way too much bull crap and nothing on this earth deserves the pain they have to go through. They're used and abused for fighting. When they lose those fights they're tortured and killed in unbelievable ways. they're wrongfully blamed for almost every attack in this country. Every time I see a picture of the dog that attacks it is a unneutered mix. But when you say pit bull, look what happens, the news story makes it all the way to even a place like city-data. This poor breed used to be an American Icon and now they have been reduced to tortured dog fighters and public demons. So yes I agree stop breeding them so they don't have to put up with anymore of our bull crap!!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
It's atrocious! My dog would literally lick you to death if you'll just rub his tummy. So vicious that I can hardly find it in my heart to murder him through some obscure vet!

Don't hold a bacon strip in front of him! He might bow before your feet and lick your toes from existence!

Evil, evil Pit Bulls!

I find it real disturbing how he runs from children in a almost cowardly manner. I was under the impression he eats children, homeless and disabled people. Guess since I got him from a home that didn't want him I didn't get the "pure" breed that can take nations out and bring tyrants to their knees.

Some of you are ridiculous and have a zero understanding of how life works on this planet.

But don't get me wrong. He'll totally demolish the trim on my front door!

Good thing I'm in the know with all that "carpentry" type stuff!

So evil:
Attached Thumbnails
Pit bull described as "very loving" kills baby in Florida-img_20101110_231627.jpg  

Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I know that even if 10 children were fatally attacked by pit bulls in Florida on the same day, there are those people who would continue to say, "It's all about how you raise them."
Um, it's all about how you raise them.

Dogs live in an hierarchical society. The fact that your dog is not with other dogs does not mean your dog is not living in an hierarchical society.

If you don't understand that, then I'm real sorry about your luck.

Because dogs are programmed to live in an hierarchical society, that means that if you have small children, you NEVER, and never means at no time ever, allow a dog on the furniture.

To allow a dog on the furniture is to tell the dog in no uncertain terms that the rank structure in this hierarchy puts the child below the dog.

Because the child is below the dog in rank, that means the dog has the right to discipline the child.

And how do dogs discipline? They bite on the nose.

Doh!

Now, who here wants to ask a really stupid question like why do dogs always bite children in the face?

Thank you very little.

So if grandma has a dog and grandma allows the dog to sit on the couch, then you never, meaning at no time ever, take you infant to grandma's house unless grandma chains the dog up outside or locks the dog in another room.

Why? Because that dog is superior in rank to anything below it and if that 18 month old grabs the dogs tail, the dog will discipline the child by attempting to bite the child on the nose, which usually ends up being in the face since humans don't have a snout.

If you are going to have large dogs and small children in your house, then you need to exercise your duty as the "leader of the pack" and make certain your dog knows its proper place in the hierarchy.

I don't recommend that you try to bite the dog in the nose, but you can smack the dog in the nose with the back of your hand or a rolled up magazine or newspaper. It doesn't have to be a Babe Ruth Sultan of Swat, but it needs to be more than a love-tap.

Instead of putting down the dogs, we ought to be putting down the "owners" for being stupid in a No-Stupid Zone.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Thanks... I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Each year, 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs. These bites result in approximately 16 fatalities; about 0.0002 percent of the total number of people bitten. These relatively few fatalities offer the only available information about breeds involved in dog bites. There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.

CDC - Dog Bite: Facts
Don't get confused by this statement. This just means we don't know what percentage of pit bulls bite. It DOES NOT mean that we don't know what percentage of attacks are perpetrated by which dogs. So you can still say pit bulls attack more and cause more damage.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Pit bulls are banned in Miami-Dade County. More counties need to enact similar bans. Personally I think the entire breed should be wiped out. We have hundreds (thousands?) of breeds of dogs for anyone who wants a pet. We have no need to continue this breed that has proven, time and time again, to be dangerous. Many experiements in breeding have been successful. It is time to admit this breeding experiment was a failure and eliminate it.
So stupid. Then they will go after one dog breed then another until ALL dogs are banned or eliminated and the root cause of all of the problems in the first place will still be around- BAD OWNERS

Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
And look at the good things pits have done:

Pit Bull Saves Family From Intruder - cbs13.com (http://cbs13.com/local/pit.bull.intruder.2.901647.html - broken link)

Pit bull saves family from house fire | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

Family Dog Takes Bullet to Save Family - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Pit Bull saves 2 women from deadly cobra, dies wagging his tail - 2007-03-01

Thursday Pet Spotlight: Pit Bull Saves Two Strangers

Pit Bull saves employees from armed robbers - The Poodle (and Dog) Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbing68 View Post
And what do we have here. Well my word there are actually other breeds that have killed children!

http://badbreeders.net/2007/03/31/ba...er-blames-dog/

Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl

Whose Fault is it? Siberian Husky Kills Newborn

Siberian Husky Bites, Kills Newborn Baby (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/siberian-husky-bites-killes-newborn-baby-feb-19-2010 - broken link)

Family dog mauls toddler to death - KSWB

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!

Untitled Document (http://www.workingpitbull.com/fatalbook.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies