Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,475,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Most Europeans countries are banning PB. There might be some reasons.
Didn't the Netherlands discountinue a 25 year old ban on pit bulls because it proved ineffective on the number of dog bites and dog bite fatalities? In other words, the premise for the ban proved false. The ban made no difference whatsoever.

What countries are banning these dogs and their reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 PM

565 posts, read 486,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Didn't the Netherlands discountinue a 25 year old ban on pit bulls because it proved ineffective on the number of dog bites and dog bite fatalities? In other words, the premise for the ban proved false. The ban made no difference whatsoever.

What countries are banning these dogs and their reasons?
When it comes to PB the problem is not "bites", it is half of your face that is gone.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
I could abuse my child and have them turn in to a serial killer, or worse. Does that mean we should ban children, or worse, humans?

I wonder what % of dogs on this planet, breed specific or otherwise, actually becomes aggressive enough to make the "statistics"?

If 1,000 PBs attacked people last year but there were 100,000,000 nationwide, how would their statistics be any worse than humans?

Anyone have real statistics from credible sources? I don't wanna see stats from pitbullsattack.com.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Attack breeds are called attack breeds for a reason. No matter how gentle they seem they really can turn on someone in a heart beat.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 PM

565 posts, read 486,114 times
[quote=BigJon3475;16620821]I could abuse my child and have them turn in to a serial killer, or worse. Does that mean we should ban children, or worse, humans?
quote]

Yes, you can turn your kids into serial killers, it is very easy to do, but you are not going to do that.
Humans and dogs are different breeds. We don't depend on instinct the way they do. Our brain is made differently. To compare humans and dogs in that regard does not make much sense.
I don't know how many dogs you lived with in your life. Maybe way more than I did. I have lived in very close relation with 23 dogs of different kinds since I was born. Believe me, I speak dog better than anyone else.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
...if something happen there is nothing you can do. Nothing will make them open their jaws.
No, it's not a game. But there most certainly are things one (a trained individual) can do which stops a pitbull from fighting.

I can't find the video, but I believe this is the episode in which Cesar Milan controls and stops two pits from fighting. It can be done - with no one getting hurt, not even the dogs.

Cesar Revisits Most Dangerous Cases | www.cesarsway.com

Pit bulls are not demon dogs. In reference to what 20 yrs said, the worst experience I've ever had with a dog was very similar to her's. Only in my case it was a Shar Pei...they neigther growl, nor give any indication of imminent attack.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Attack breeds are called attack breeds for a reason. No matter how gentle they seem they really can turn on someone in a heart beat.
There is no breed that's called an attack breed. That's the MSM for you. Dogs can be bred for guarding and protection. But there is no such thing as an attack breed. There is a difference.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Yeah, I've lived with a lot too.

I don't think they're totally instinctual. Do you think if the dog paddles his feet while in sleep it's much different than a dream of a human? How about when they tuck their tail when they've done something they know was not called for by discipline?

I don't think they could create nuclear bombs, and such, but they're not totally dependent on instincts alone.

If you put the same concepts that we use to scrutinize humans that you do dogs, then I can't see how anyone could come to a conclusion that PBs are fundamental killers just looking for a prime time to rip your throat out.

It's not like they're lions or tigers or bears, oh my! They were literally breed through thousands of years with humans to get to where they are now. They're not fundamental killers. They might have been when they're wolf ancestors were first domesticated.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
No, it's not a game. But there most certainly are things one (a trained individual) can do which stops a pitbull from fighting.

I can't find the video, but I believe this is the episode in which Cesar Milan controls and stops two pits from fighting. It can be done - with no one getting hurt, not even the dogs.

Cesar Revisits Most Dangerous Cases | www.cesarsway.com

Pit bulls are not demon dogs. In reference to what 20 yrs said, the worst experience I've ever had with a dog was very similar to her's. Only in my case it was a Shar Pei...they neigther growl, nor give any indication of imminent attack.
OMG I had a dachshund attack me once. I'm not kidding it wanted to kill me. But it is much easier to defend yourself against an 11 pound dog that is four inches high than it is a dog that weighs 70 or 80 pounds and is considerably taller (and more agile).

I read a "defend yourself from a pitbull attack" article online once where the man recommended JINGLING YOUR KEYS to distract the dog. I mean, talk about clueless. Reading that kind of garbage is a good way to get killed.

Anyway. You can love any dog. You don't have to love a pitbull. Sorry. If you like short haired bully types, get a boxer or a bulldog or something like that. Get a Shih tsu and pretend it's a pitbull.

20ysrinBranson

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM

I think you missed the point. PBs are loyal. That loyalty is used against them for people who want a status symbol, not by themselves -- the pitbulls, but by humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies