Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,485,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Does any one think that Americans will eventually 'get over' or begin to just ignore warnings?

Sad but true, i don't think we will ever "get over it" because so many warnings and acts of terror, have happened time and time again. These People are out to get us it is clear. Do we put on lives on hold, absolutely not, but we do put our guard up, and are more intunely aware of our surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:34 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,220,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Does any one think that Americans will eventually 'get over' or begin to just ignore warnings?
People will only ignore the warnings when they are used too often with no results of action from those warnings.

Warnings about fear almost always work, because fear of danger is one of the most primitive and deepest emotions a person can have. Unlike static fear, fear of danger is a dynamic fear, meaning that it is associated with the Amygdala portion of the brain which is constantly reinforced.

Example, if you are told that eating red dye #5 too often you will get cancer. Your fear of cancer is something that is logged in your brain and you will try to remember not to eat too much. You won't get sweaty palms or tremble in the presence of a red dye tablet at the supermarket. This is a static fear.

Dynamic fear is when you are walking in the woods and you hear leaves rustle, you turn to see a wild pig charging you. This fear is logged in that primitive portion of the brain in a way that each time for many years, possible the rest of your life, each time you hear leaves rustle in the woods, you will react in preparation as though there was a pig charging you. This is a dynamic fear.

When people see or hear about a possible attack on the country, it is this type of fear which is associated with one of the most primitive regions of the brain that is stimulated as well as static fears to a lesser extent.

This is why fear is used and why it has always been used as a form of social and political control, because it matters not how smart or dumb or how aware a population is, they can always be brought into the narrative through fear. Fear works, simple as that.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,024,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
People will only ignore the warnings when they are used too often with no results of action from those warnings.

Warnings about fear almost always work, because fear of danger is one of the most primitive and deepest emotions a person can have. Unlike static fear, fear of danger is a dynamic fear, meaning that it is associated with the Amygdala portion of the brain which is constantly reinforced.

Example, if you are told that eating red dye #5 too often you will get cancer. Your fear of cancer is something that is logged in your brain and you will try to remember not to eat too much. You won't get sweaty palms or tremble in the presence of a red dye tablet at the supermarket. This is a static fear.

Dynamic fear is when you are walking in the woods and you hear leaves rustle, you turn to see a wild pig charging you. This fear is logged in that primitive portion of the brain in a way that each time for many years, possible the rest of your life, each time you hear leaves rustle in the woods, you will react in preparation as though there was a pig charging you. This is a dynamic fear.

When people see or hear about a possible attack on the country, it is this type of fear which is associated with one of the most primitive regions of the brain that is stimulated as well as static fears to a lesser extent.

This is why fear is used and why it has always been used as a form of social and political control, because it matters not how smart or dumb or how aware a population is, they can always be brought into the narrative through fear. Fear works, simple as that.
In case you missed the point of my original post which began this thread it was not to instill fear but just a reminder for people to be prepared for a period of at least 2 weeks.

Honestly the timing of this does seem contrived and the posture of Obama is unlike any other incident. Usually he waits to address the nation and doesn't want to "rush to judgement". Today he wasted no time getting on TV and had a statement. Smells more fishy than a gift from Rahm Emanuel.

Perhpas he needed an opportunity to "look Presidential" after his bad joke of an appearance and the criticism that has followed his Jon Stewart Show appearance, calling those who oppose amnesty "enemies" of latinos and his, and telling Republicans to "sit in the back".

Lets not forget, as far as Obama is concerned: it is always about Obama!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,729,462 times
Only a demented conservative could believe that this was a plot by Obama to turn out voters.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 10-29-2010 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,349,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let me guess. MSNBC was saying how our Admin did the job, FOX was saying how the Admin put us at risk and now Glenn is saying that GOD is extracting his revenge.
I guess one out of three isn't bad for a hitter in baseball, not so hot for a basketball player and not worth a damn for a quarterback. You sure failed on 2 of your guesses. Beck didn't even talk about this and nobody at Fox said anything really bad about the administration and how they handled this thing.

bob I am about to post a new thread and would like to have you try to help me understand the question I will ask. It is about Florida politics so you should be able to help a lot.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 PM

728 posts, read 1,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Juan Williams was right.
Juan Williams was fired for stating what many of us are thinking in the post 9/11 world. And God forbid we defy political correctness and the wonders of diversity.
Super liberal, peacenik, all loving idealist types would do well to remember the lessons of 9/11 and the London and Madrid bombings. These people hate the west, particularly the US and UK. And, no, today was not a media produced false flag deal. Our "friends" in the middle east spend large parts of their waking hours devising plans to eliminate us. Anyone not willing to face this fact needs to grow up and face reality. We are at war, and have been with Islam since the early 1990's.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,220,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
In case you missed the point of my original post which began this thread it was not to instill fear but just a reminder for people to be prepared for a period of at least 2 weeks.

Honestly the timing of this does seem contrived and the posture of Obama is unlike any other incident. Usually he waits to address the nation and doesn't want to "rush to judgement". Today he wasted no time getting on TV and had a statement. Smells more fishy than a gift from Rahm Emanuel.

Perhpas he needed an opportunity to "look Presidential" after his bad joke of an appearance and the criticism that has followed his Jon Stewart Show appearance, calling those who oppose amnesty "enemies" of latinos and his, and telling Republicans to "sit in the back".

Lets not forget, as far as Obama is concerned: it is always about Obama!
No, the post you quoted me on was to another poster asking about whether people would ignore warnings. I suggested that warnings are what warnings are, a warning of danger and explained why fear works and why people will never totally ignore the warnings.

As to your original point of the thread, I got it as it was clearly stated in the following line.

Quote:
While this could just be sabre rattling to affect voter turn out next week it really is better to be prepared than not. In the end you have the rest of your life to solve a problem, don't expect dialing 911 to save your backside.
That either it was a ploy by the President to drive people to the voting booth to vote democrat or that it was real and that people should prepare for two weeks without power or water I guess. Considering that historically Democrats have been seen as weak on defense and security issues and even more so on the war on terror, it would seem counter productive, but I suppose anything is possible. Your mention of preparations was for in the event of a large terrorist attack and America loses primary infrastructure for an extended period of time. This warning is fear, period. This is not a bad thing or a good thing, it merely is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Juan Williams was fired for stating what many of us are thinking in the post 9/11 world. And God forbid we defy political correctness and the wonders of diversity.
Super liberal, peacenik, all loving idealist types would do well to remember the lessons of 9/11 and the London and Madrid bombings. These people hate the west, particularly the US and UK. And, no, today was not a media produced false flag deal. Our "friends" in the middle east spend large parts of their waking hours devising plans to eliminate us. Anyone not willing to face this fact needs to grow up and face reality. We are at war, and have been with Islam since the early 1990's.
About the time the United States made a permanent military commitment to region. Oddly enough, that commitment was first made with the very nation the very terrorist who attacked us came from, but lets not focus on the details. Be sure to thank a terrorist every time you fill up at the gas station.

Now if only all those keyboard commandos and internet Rambos so vigilant in promoting wars actually had the courage of their convictions. Starting with those think tank types over at the PNAC and AEI, you know because they have tank experience.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,024,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Only a demented conservative could believe that this was a plot by Obama to turn out voters.
Oh? So do you apply that same reasoning to liberals who accuse the same thing of Bush and Republicans? Somehow I doubt it.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,509,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Super liberal, peacenik, all loving idealist types would do well to remember the lessons of 9/11 and the London and Madrid bombings. These people hate the west, particularly the US and UK.
The lesson of 9/11, London and Madrid is: stay the hell out of the Middle East.

Even Ronald Reagan figured that out, 241 Marines too late.

Quote:
We are at war, and have been with Islam since the early 1990's.
You and Sarah and Newt and the rest of the neocon gang of thugs and torturers may be at war with Islam, compadre, but don't speak for me, please.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,898,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
bob I am about to post a new thread and would like to have you try to help me understand the question I will ask. It is about Florida politics so you should be able to help a lot.
I eagerly anticipate that. There are a great many funny things about Florida politics and some happenings, worth exploring. But don't expect response while the Restore Sanity Rally is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies