Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Not QUITE true............not ALL of it by a long shot......

Watchdog: TARP to cost taxpayers $25 billion - Business - U.S. business - msnbc.com
Actualy, $700 Billion was available...and only $25-50 Billion not paid back, not too bad. Meaning 90% paid back.....And actually, I purposely distinguished and said Banks paid their money back. I suspect the losses were with the Car industry....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Actually I believe these so called bailouts to banks are actually loans. I think they are paid back.....So, the big difference is money to banks are paid back with interest whereas UE aide is money that someone else has to pay for....and is not paid back...

If the money from bailouts are paid back, why would it matter if someone got a bonus for doing a good job?

Again, why not use stimulus money for UE....I am willing to meet halfway ..as long as there is no new spending..

These were not "so called" bailouts, these were outright bailouts. No one authorized congress/WH LOAN OUR CITIZENS' MONEY to private enterprises behind closed doors, especially in such amounts. Our government is not supposed to be a bank making loans and charge interest on tax collections/bond sales (interst on which to China will be responsibility of our yet unborn children!). Besides, are you expecting a check back for the interest collected? You shouldn't

Will you expect to get a check from the Feds for the interest payments on those "loans"? Not. We now have our Federal government loaining our and our children's money out, collecting interest, and consuming it all with no oversight/control. Essentially, officially our Fed government is now a full fledged corporation. (it may have been that before, but not this openly)

We could generate enough green electricity to power the Capitol Hill from all the spinning our nation's founding fathers are doing right now in their graves...

Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
These were not "so called" bailouts, these were outright bailouts. No one authorized congress LOAN OUR CITIZENS' MONEY to private enterprises behind closed doors, especially in such amounts. Our government is not supposed to be a bank making loans and charge interest on tax collections/bond sales (interst on which to China will be responsibility of our yet unborn children!). Besides, are you expecting a check back for the interest collected? You shouldn't

Will you expect to get a check from the Feds for the interest payments on those "loans"? Not. We now have our Federal government loaining our and our children's money out, collecting interest, and consuming it all with no oversight/control. Essentially, officially our Fed government is now a full fledged corporation. (it may have been that before, but not this openly)

We could generate enough green electricity to power the Capitol Hill from all the spinning our nation's founding fathers are doing right now in their graves...
Semantics...money went out and money came back..a loan. I don't like the process, and not for it.....strong companies should survive, and weak fail. I don't expect to get an interest check, but I do expect the spending to be controlled and we get some sanity ...starting with passing a budget? Starting by living within our means, discussing the tough things that no one wants to talk about, what are the real options to brig fiscal sanity back to the house...

Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,810 times
Nothing is going to get done on this bill until something is done with extending the bush tax cuts. Sen Durbin already tipped this hand a couple of days ago. That's the onyl way a bill like this doesn't get paid for. I'm honestly not expecting anything to be done on this for at least a week or two while the GOP leaders in the house and senate negotiate with the democratic leaders and Secretary of the Tresuary, Tim Geithner.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,810 times
Obama said he wants a resolution to the tax cuts within a couple days. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Why don't they? You have no idea what is ACTUALLY going on out there in the real world do you? How about the Democrats pass a budget? How about the Democrats pass the new tax code? Why aren't they doing this? Why not? This will help busineeses come up with a budget, yes BUDGET. I know you and most other sheeple here don't know what that is, but responsible business owners do and rely on that to stay in business and keep YOU employed. As far as the UE extension goes, why won't the Democrats use unspent stimulus for it? Why not? Why MUST they add to the deficit? Why?
YUP! I knew no one could answer WHY the Wealthy didn't create all those jobs Bush said they would with the HUGE tax breaks they got.....no Moderator cut: rude ever has...

OK I know what a budget is....do the Moderator cut: rude?

They are holding unemployment hostage sayng we can't afford THAT but digging in their jackassheels on keeping the tax breaks for The Wealthy.

Guess we CAN afford THAT???

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-30-2010 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language

Old 11-30-2010, 03:19 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
It seems like they voted out all the people voting to give us unemployment, now, the rebulicans will block every extension

The Great Ression leads to the great "phase out" of Unemployed people.

Unemployment Extension Phase Out Begins | WorldNewsVine

NY, NY (Nov 28) – As reported on the New York State’s Unemployment Insurance Benefits online page, today November 28, 2010 signals the last day the unemployed can move either into their first Tier or advanced to another qualifying tier regardingunemployment extensions.

Unemployed that have exhausted all their Tiers that is, Tier III that have moved into Emergency Benefits will receive their last check for the week ending December 5, 2010.

States across the nation have begun the final phase for providing emergency unemployment compensation also known as, unemployment extension.
I think they are doing the right thing. I meant, the best thing they can do is stop helping. Look what they have accomplished in the last two to four years of helping. Trillions have spent and have nothing to show for.

Government needs to let free market to do it's jobs. Release the credit and let the private use it so they can create job. Now they just waste it or pass it on to special interests.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
YUP! I knew no one could answer WHY the Wealthy didn't create all those jobs Bush said they would with the HUGE tax breaks they got.....no Moderator cut: rude ever has...

OK I know what a budget is....do the Moderator cut: rude?

They are holding unemployment hostage sayng we can't afford THAT but digging in their jackassheels on keeping the tax breaks for The Wealthy.

Guess we CAN afford THAT???

Again....lets start over...
The top 50% of wage earners pay almost all income taxes. When you say wealthy you are implying that they should pay for the other 50% of services the govt provides without them paying annything. Do you not understand this?

What about the 2 Trillion plus in deficit we get by extending the tax cuts for everyone below 250k?

Why don't we cut spending, and we won't have a deficit? That is how we can afford it. Why don't we ask the 50% who get free govt services to pay something for their services? That is another way we can afford it.

Honestly, I am sick of paying for others handouts....I don't mind paying a littlle extra...but every time there is a money issue....congress plays the class card.....the rich..the rich...let them pay....sorry, not going to happen.

I

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-30-2010 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Again....lets start over...
The top 50% of wage earners pay almost all income taxes. When you say wealthy you are implying that they should pay for the other 50% of services the govt provides without them paying annything. Do you not understand this?

What about the 2 Trillion plus in deficit we get by extending the tax cuts for everyone below 250k?

Why don't we cut spending, and we won't have a deficit? That is how we can afford it. Why don't we ask the 50% who get free govt services to pay something for their services? That is another way we can afford it.

Honestly, I am sick of paying for others handouts....I don't mind paying a littlle extra...but every time there is a money issue....congress plays the class card.....the rich..the rich...let them pay....sorry, not going to happen.

I
They will never cut spending. Cutting spending mean cutting power. Who in power will do something that silly?

I think we only have 1 ending. When the coach potatoes finally wake up in the street and realized how the government has screw them, they will start a revolution. Or we will have something like the Zimbabwe where citizen still won't overthrow the government.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
They will never cut spending. Cutting spending mean cutting power. Who in power will do something that silly?

I think we only have 1 ending. When the coach potatoes finally wake up in the street and realized how the government has screw them, they will start a revolution. Or we will have something like the Zimbabwe where citizen still won't overthrow the government.
Interesting.
I don't think they will cut spending either....we can't even get the knuckleheads to stop on Earmarks. So that means a slow gradual decline and then a move to a low income tax area like Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies