Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 02:37 PM

21 posts, read 24,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you can get up to 20 weeks EB, you do not have the worst scenario possible. You are one of the lucky ones. What state are you in?

Yes, depending on your state, you will be able to collect on what remains of your Tiers at some point - provided EUC legislation is extended. Some states switch people between EB and the Tiers, some wait until EB is exhausted and then put people back on the tiers. WI used to switch people back and forth, but now will cut off EB on Dec. 12.
Ariadne22 you took my statement and concerns out of complete context by quoting one sentence of mine with following sentences. Instead of editing the surrounding sentences with my original sentence that I have the worst case scenario! Which I do! I am sorry but that is/was rude of you to portray me like that; as complaining because I was about to be benefitless. I can only hope this doesn't happen often. And that you feel ashamed! I expressed my worst case scenario as losing my federally funded EUC the week it was cut off. Yes I may get EB in WA State, but there is an application process and it is not guaranteed! I am so lucky that I am benefitless now? I haven't even been on unemployment for 1 year, as opposed to many that have had it for 2 years.
What happened to everyone being treated equally in America? Why can't those of us who have been on it a shorter time continue to get it? At least until we hit the 2 year mark. Economists say the economy is turning around. So the 99ers will have a decent shot at getting jobs now while the rest of us should still be able to get EUC while the economy recovers further in which time we should be able to get jobs as well.

Last edited by Matt V.; 12-01-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 PM

184 posts, read 142,276 times
If the UI benefits are cut...I expect a lot of desperate people to go down guns blazing - literally. A significant chunk of the 2 million people who will lose their benefits own guns. Be careful while you are walking the streets...a person who has nothing to lose is the most dangerous. Especially the ones driving around in flashy cars and showing off their wealth need to watch their backs.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 16,455 times
I have been reading this thread for about a week. I have a question which I am not sure where to put it though and was wondering if anyone can maybe please help me. I was laid off 2/09. On November 15th 2010, I started a temp job. Today, at 9am, the assignment ended and the temp agency has nothing for me at the moment of course. My question, I was on the PA EB. I know if I reopen the claim, I will not be recieving anything right now. So, do I reopen the claim and wait out time until when or if a new extension is passed or do I attempt to open a new claim which I probably will get very little if anything from? Either way I am still looking for a job. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 PM

21 posts, read 24,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster79 View Post
I have been reading this thread for about a week. I have a question which I am not sure where to put it though and was wondering if anyone can maybe please help me. I was laid off 2/09. On November 15th 2010, I started a temp job. Today, at 9am, the assignment ended and the temp agency has nothing for me at the moment of course. My question, I was on the PA EB. I know if I reopen the claim, I will not be recieving anything right now. So, do I reopen the claim and wait out time until when or if a new extension is passed or do I attempt to open a new claim which I probably will get very little if anything from? Either way I am still looking for a job. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Great questions! I wondered the same about taking a temp position and found out that you are not obligated to take a lower paying job than what you were making and in a similar field. Basically I take it as if you're a construction worker and offered a job as a maintenance man for less money, then you are not legally obligated to have to take it. I wondered the same about taking a temp. position in the same field making close to what I was, but it was very short term like yours. Would this mean I am cut off from unemployment for good?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM

613 posts, read 960,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
For one...this is my money..

Either we should cut spending/extend tax cuts for all.....

700 Billion over 10 yrs for high earners
2 Trillion over 10 years for low and midle class earners (don't forget this amount..which is 3x the 700 Billion amount)

Or we raise taxes on all....so that we all can pay our fair share.
For your information, the millionares line is old. I spent the first 15 yrs in my adult life with less than a 15K yearly income while I safrificed to get ahead.

The 700 Billion belongs to those who earn it (not the Govt., nor people wanting a continuation of social programs)...an easy way to not borrow is not to spend ...

Here are some places to cut - and note they include both Dem and Repup ideas

1. 5-10% off Defense Spending
2. Gradually raise retirement age over the next 50 yrs for SS by a couple of years so it is solvent for all
3. Tweak Medicare, but maintained for our elderly
4. Get rid of Earmarks
5. Decreae Foreign Aide

Also, if we are worryingabout Revenue, than ask the 47% of people who pay no income taxes to pay for some of ther Govt services...event if it were at a nominal 5% rate...
When the law expires and the tax brackets written into law go back into effect, the new portion that they will be taking from you was never yours because the law changes and there's nothing even all your greedy money can do about it.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM

68 posts, read 162,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V. View Post
Thank you Gabriel.S! I completely agree with you! One person's decision affects many at a very bad time. Some small people like to feel big and in charge.
LMAO....Oh so true!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

What will several million 99'ers do when their extended extended unemployment benefits cease all at once?

what will they do.....maybe GET A JOB

jobs are there...just have to actually WANT it

Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
200 million dollars a day that the idiot in the WH spent could have helped millions of people who cannot find work under the dems control.

Then again he does not care about people or if they have food on their table or a house to live in.

The headline is misleading.

Totally bogus and out of context.

Again, some people have never ran a business to know you cannot continue to spend money you DO NOT HAVE.

The dems should have fixed the jobs issue as they have had control for 4 years and we would not be in this mess if they had worked on it from day one as Obama said he would.

Hey Dems, where are those 5 million new high paying jobs your promised?

The answer is to create jobs, that is something the dems have FAILED MISERABLY AT.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-02-2010 at 05:30 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
The dems have the numbers, why are they not bringing this to a vote right now instead of working on food programs this week?

Will THE CURRENT congress vote to authorize the same?

If my teenage nephew can make 500.00 per week making corn hole boards and selling them what the heck are these 99er doing that they cannot find something to do?

Even my pizza delivery guy is a former 99er and tells me he is making money ends meet by delivering pizza.

I know, they all want 15.00 an hour jobs standing against the wall listening to music instead of actually working and being productive.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM

41 posts, read 76,522 times
This is an unemployment issue not a political issue,,,but of course its the politicians who hold our fate ...so unemployment and politicians go hand in hand...there are alot of us who need and want this back on the unemployment forum not here so please move it back where it truly belongs..and i agree with gabriel that we are living human beings not just words on a screen with real feeling and real emotions...nothing that horrible was said and if it was please just remove that statement not all of us who come here often to find out updates and talk to people in the same boat as us.....unless of course you would like to give me your job and change places with me and see how it really feels to be down and out after working for over 45 yrs of your life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies