Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V. View Post
My Tier1 ends on Dec.4th. I have the worst case scenario possible. I am told I can get EB after that. I have a question, please if anyone knows the answer help me. If I apply and then start receiving EB, then congress passes another extension for EUC, could I get back on EUC? And then save the remaining EB? Does anyone know how that works? If it happened to anyone in July. Like I said my unemployment benes are ending prematurely. I haven't even been laid off a year yet. Some are talking 99 weeks of UI and EUC. These times aren't any better in my estimation than they were 1 or two yeras ago. I do not get call backs from 99% of my resumes and applications. The ones I get call backs from, do not call me back for an interview or even offer one after I tell them what I have been making. Seems to me illegals are coming in and swooping up jobs for next to nothing and pushing us real Americans out of the way. And every company that hires them is to blame, because they are creating this problem out of greed, just like the banks and their affiliates did with the housing crisis. Just to pad their own little pockets and screw everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you can get up to 20 weeks EB, you do not have the worst scenario possible. You are one of the lucky ones. What state are you in?

Yes, depending on your state, you will be able to collect on what remains of your Tiers at some point - provided EUC legislation is extended. Some states switch people between EB and the Tiers, some wait until EB is exhausted and then put people back on the tiers. WI used to switch people back and forth, but now will cut off EB on Dec. 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V. View Post
Ariadne22 you took my statement and concerns out of complete context by quoting one sentence of mine with following sentences. Instead of editing the surrounding sentences with my original sentence that I have the worst case scenario! Which I do! I am sorry but that is/was rude of you to portray me like that; as complaining because I was about to be benefitless. I can only hope this doesn't happen often. And that you feel ashamed! I expressed my worst case scenario as losing my federally funded EUC the week it was cut off. Yes I may get EB in WA State, but there is an application process and it is not guaranteed! I am so lucky that I am benefitless now? I haven't even been on unemployment for 1 year, as opposed to many that have had it for 2 years.
What happened to everyone being treated equally in America? Why can't those of us who have been on it a shorter time continue to get it? At least until we hit the 2 year mark. Economists say the economy is turning around. So the 99ers will have a decent shot at getting jobs now while the rest of us should still be able to get EUC while the economy recovers further in which time we should be able to get jobs as well.

Quoted above all three posts, nothing taken out of context except 1st par. from original post talking about unemployment in general.

Sorry to have upset you, Matt, but I still don’t get your point. You collected 26 weeks’ state benefits, 20 weeks of Tier 1 for a total of 46 weeks, which is a lot more than those who were laid off in May or June of this year are going to get without further extensions and who are in states not offering EB. You still have the almost certainty of EB in WA state unless there is something in your application that would be cause for denial of EB.

Yes, there is a process to apply for EB, but WA state is one of ONLY TEN STATES offering EB when the legislation expires. People in the remaining 40 states do not have EB much beyond the end of December.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16838895-post10.html

So, I’ll stand by my statement. Yours is not the worst scenario. People losing their initial 26 weeks' benefits in states without EB after November 27th are most unfairly impacted. For now, until Congress allows ALL unemployed the option of 99 weeks, it is a matter of timing as to how much one can collect.

Sadly, life is not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I don't think they will.

What will several million 99'ers do when their extended extended unemployment benefits cease all at once?

It's going to be ugly.

New Congress?

It ended today. People are going to be part of the uncounted here in short order. Which for our government, will cook the books in their favor for the illusion.
Unemployment numbers, how they calculate them, will start to go down. Maybe back to 4-5%. The Prez. will say, "see I got unemployment down, back to resonable levels"

When real unemployment will be around 25-30%, if not more.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Given the current scenario where BOTH parties are using the unemployed as pawns in their shell game, it's almost impossible to separate the UE issue from politics.

Moving a UE thread to the P&C forum is just painting a target on the backs of some posters. Hope the nasties here get their jollies over with in fast order.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Quoted above all three posts, nothing taken out of context except 1st par. from original post talking about unemployment in general.

Sorry to have upset you, Matt, but I still don’t get your point. You collected 26 weeks’ state benefits, 20 weeks of Tier 1 for a total of 46 weeks, which is a lot more than those who were laid off in May or June of this year are going to get without further extensions and who are in states not offering EB. You still have the almost certainty of EB in WA state unless there is something in your application that would be cause for denial of EB.

Yes, there is a process to apply for EB, but WA state is one of ONLY TEN STATES offering EB when the legislation expires. People in the remaining 40 states do not have EB much beyond the end of December.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16838895-post10.html

So, I’ll stand by my statement. Yours is not the worst scenario. People losing their initial 26 weeks' benefits in states without EB after November 27th are most unfairly impacted. For now, until Congress allows ALL unemployed the option of 99 weeks, it is a matter of timing as to how much one can collect.

Sadly, life is not fair.
Have to agree with you Ariadne, Matt has hardly the worst scenario by a long shot. With UE extensions as we know, timing can be critical as to what you can get when.

and to reiterate as you said, life isn't fair.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Here's the cold reality (and this post is going to have some splinters in it, because I'm copy/pasting it from another thread, as I don't want to re-type the whole thing to clean it up. The gist remains clear)

At some point the cord needs to be cut, and those who are perpetually unemployed need to be left to either sink or swim. I would rather the money be spent on welfare programs for these people which will hopefully shame them into being more amenable to finding work under less than ideal conditions (lower pay, forced relocation, etc.) than I am to simply extending their benefits until their dream job comes along. The issue with the W tax cuts is that the majority of this country (the middle class) wants to extend them....but only for them. It's real easy to sit in the catbird seat and claim that you should keep your tax cuts (not you, per se, since you aren't working), but that those who worked the hardest and became the most successful should now be forced to wholly subsidize those at the bottom. Again, it's not unreasonable to take a stance of "if you're going to eliminate the cuts for some, eliminate the cuts for all".

You state for every job, there are 5 applicants. If you're unemployed for 99 weeks, and you do the minimum 3 resume submissions a week, that means over the span of that 99 weeks you have sent out 297 resumes, and have not been able to beat out 4 other applicants for a job even *one* time. And really, that's all you need to do - convince ONE employer that you are better than the other 4 people. At what point do you look in the mirror and decide that the problem is what's staring back at you? It's not like you need to hit 10 in a row. You need 1 out of 300. I get that for every person at the top, there has to be another person equally close to the bottom, but after 99 weeks, you should have done enough to pull yourself up out of the bottom to become one of those at the top.

Lastly, you can claim that the system favors "the rich", but as a member of "the rich", I've got a couple of little facts for you:

1) 35% of my paycheck goes to my dear old Uncle Sammy right off the top. Most of that tax money goes to services I don't utilize. Then you add in my max-level contributions to Medicaid and Social Security (of which I'll never see a dime back on), etc.
2) The top 5% of earners in this country account for almost 65% of all tax revenue that's brought in. The middle 45% account for 35%, and the bottom 50% not only contribute nothing, but get paid to be there. That's not structured "in my favor". Just because "I can afford it" (a tax increase reducing the money I earn for working to pay for you to not work) doesn't mean I should "have to pay it". I can afford to buy a boat and sail to Antarctica while wearing a diamond-studded speedo. Doesn't mean I should.

Like I said, it's real easy to sit in your recliner playing Halo telling me I should be on board with giving you another 6 months of unemployment benefits. But the reality is while I would rather be at home playing a game, I'm sitting in an office right now to keep my own lifestyle going, and a decent chunk of what I'm earning is being funneled away for those not contributing to the system to be able to play Halo and enjoy the other services provided. It's always easier to reach into someone else's pocket than to go into one's own. It's also real easy to claim that the system should be restructured so that you get what you want, at the expense of poking someone like me in the eye with a stick because there are less people like me than there are people like you.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
I'll be finishing my retraining program in one week in the CIS field. Not sure how long it will take me to find a job in my new field but one thing is for certain, I will be working while searching for that job. Be it delivering pizza, using my vehicle and being a courier...whatever.

You see, contrary to belief, 99% of the unemployed are not lazy people. I have held a job my entire adult life. I have NEVER claimed unemployment insurance in life prior to this last meltdown.

I know those of you that have been fortunate enough to keep your jobs through this crisis that have been brainwashed into thinking that the unemployed are lazy and so forth, to them my Chrsitmas wish is that all of you are pink slipped right before Christmas. I'll see you in the unemployment forums in 26 weeks whining about not being able to find a job and having no income !

I never said anyone was lazy at all.

I said that I know people who have ran out of unemployment and found something to keep going and that my teen nephew makes no less then 500 bucks a week cutting out and painting corn hole boards.

Many, many ways to make money.

Like it or not, some people do not want to work, it is sad but it is the truth also.

Many would live off of unemployment for many years if given the chance and you know it.

The issue is jobs, this admin promised millions of new jobs and all he has done is cost us millions of good jobs.

2 years into this admin and still no jobs, he is not even talking about jobs and should be on a daily basis finding ways to get jobs to those who want to work.

Instead he is working in things that mean nothing to the average American.

He does not care if you lose everything you have.

His agenda is to take away the peoples financial well being so he and his croonies can control your every move.

Obama is laughing all the way to the bank with this.

He knows people are weak when they are down and out, exactly what he wants.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM

180 posts, read 391,756 times
I actually deleted my post. After reading it again, I realized I was contributing to what is destined to be another heated debate. I have other more important matters to focus on right now......

Last edited by Gabriel.S; 12-01-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The issue is jobs, this admin promised millions of new jobs and all he has done is cost us millions of good jobs.

Wow - talk about an alternate reality!! The jobs were going and gone with the Bush Admin., not to mention the financial abyss narrowly averted, no thanks to all those great capitalists who have brought us to this mess. We are now dealing with the fallour from that greedy capitalist tsunami.

2 years into this admin and still no jobs, he is not even talking about jobs and should be on a daily basis finding ways to get jobs to those who want to work.

With jobs permanently lost overseas, this Administration and the next faces almost an impossible task in restoring employment to this country in any meaningful way. The days of decent middle class jobs have gone the way of the dodo bird. Jobs cannot be created without demand.

Tax cuts for corporations do not create a customer or demand and corporations WILL NOT HIRE WITHOUT PRODUCT DEMAND. Money in the pockets of consumers CREATES DEMAND. With the huge numbers of permanently unemployed and those jobs NEVER coming back - NO MATTER WHO IS IN POWER - it will be a cold day before the 20+ million unemployed ever get their lives back and this country gets back on its feet.

Thank the GOP - it's been a long, 30 year road, but they've finally succeeded in putting the working guy back in his place - subservient to them.

Instead he is working in things that mean nothing to the average American.

On this I agree - but it is also a matter of how to do it and there is no cooperation from the other party as they want him out - and the country can burn as far they are concerned. GOP's primary purpose is NOT to work to help American citizens - it is to DESTROY the Administration, regain power even if it means taking the country down first. They say this publicly. This is not news.

He does not care if you lose everything you have.

Neither do the Republicans - as a matter of fact, they prefer it. Somehow they have brainwashed people into believing the richer the top 1% gets, the better off everyone else will be. Well, we have had the trickle down since Reagan - how's that workin' for ya'? It ain't workin' for me and hasn't for 30 years. I was much better off in the 70s than I am today.

His agenda is to take away the peoples financial well being so he and his croonies can control your every move.

The GOP are the masters of this. Nobody is better at brainwashing the public than the GOP.

Obama is laughing all the way to the bank with this.

Indeed, not. It is the GOP laughing all the while they are being the party of No and obstructing even THEIR OWN PROPOSALS just so Obama doesn't have a win.
Faux News is doing a wonderful job, clearly.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM

180 posts, read 391,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Like I said, it's real easy to sit in your recliner playing Halo
Case and point. You see, this is exactly what I was talking about .....

The more money you make, the more taxes you pay, simple math my friend. Your arguments hold no water whatsoever!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Faux News is doing a wonderful job, clearly.

Quote:
Wow - talk about an alternate reality!! The jobs were going and gone with the Bush Admin., not to mention the financial abyss narrowly averted, no thanks to all those great capitalists who have brought us to this mess. We are now dealing with the fallour from that greedy capitalist tsunami.

With jobs permanently lost overseas, this Administration and the next faces almost an impossible task in restoring employment to this country in any meaningful way. The days of decent middle class jobs have gone the way of the dodo bird. Jobs cannot be created without demand.

Tax cuts for corporations do not create a customer or demand and corporations WILL NOT HIRE WITHOUT PRODUCT DEMAND. Money in the pockets of consumers CREATES DEMAND. With the huge numbers of permanently unemployed and those jobs NEVER coming back - NO MATTER WHO IS IN POWER - it will be a cold day before the 20+ million unemployed ever get their lives back and this country gets back on its feet.

Thank the GOP - it's been a long, 30 year road, but they've finally succeeded in putting the working guy back in his place - subservient to them.

Wow - talk about an alternate alternate reality!!

the jobs left because of liberal globalist policies

and obamy is expanding them

Quote:
With jobs permanently lost overseas, this Administration and the next faces almost an impossible task in restoring employment to this country in any meaningful way.
obama is proposing 3 more 'freetrade' agreement..so you can kiss somemore jobs away

progressive liberal globalist fascist policies are killing this country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies