Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The cuts are happening in medicare, unemployment, potentially SS and higher taxes. WE are the ones at the end of the line for use of OUR money that we handed over to the government.
Well I can't argue with you on that.

We've spent BILLIONS to rebuild infrastructure in Iraq for instance. Building roads, schools, electrical grids, providing health care etc. Yet here we are today, when Americans needs it most...Merry Christmas (Ummm...Holidays.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:56 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwind View Post
If the UI benefits are cut...I expect a lot of desperate people to go down guns blazing - literally. A significant chunk of the 2 million people who will lose their benefits own guns. Be careful while you are walking the streets...a person who has nothing to lose is the most dangerous. Especially the ones driving around in flashy cars and showing off their wealth need to watch their backs.
Why would we have to be any more careful than we are now? Sounds like typical street thugs who thinks the world owes them something because they had it hard. Nothing new.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 AM

183 posts, read 467,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Where are these jobs you are talking about? The people I have seen that have lost their unemployment benefits have NOT FOUND JOBS. I drive by them everyday when I go out looking for work. They are on the streets begging for cash. I have seen at least two digging through the trash looking for food or something to sell. This is SO SAD to see in a country as great as ours. A single person doesn't qualify for welfare.

If the government can't or won't help the unemployed someone needs to help them. Unfortunately, many Americans have ZERO compassion for the unemployed. We would rather send our money overseas or spend on cheap, Chinese made, CRAP. I would urge everyone to give to charity, church, or any organization out there that helps the unemployed.

Many think the unemployed are lazy and should get any job. Well, heck I would take any job. I even applied at Starbucks, Best Buy, Macy's, Kohls, JcPenney, just to name a few. I got rejected because of the "overwhelming number of applicants." Now, I think I am going to try to get on the show, "The Fairy Jobmother."

Oh, and I even had my resume redone professionally by a professional career counselor, enrolled in classes at my local community college, worked on self-study courses, and even worked as a free tutor. Yet, according to the majority of Americans and even some in my own family, I am lazy because I can't seem to find a job.
I really wish those that are employed would quit saying how jobs are available. We know that! Have any of you employed folks searched for a job lately? I went to apply for a job that pays $7.50 per hour and guess what? I need experience! And it was a security job, unarmed! I am more than willing to work for $7.50 per hour even with two degrees but as long as these companies continue to have high requirements for low paying jobs I will remain unemployed.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:49 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,727 times
In my opinion, a good market based metric is when persons who specialize in that type of business sector simply call me and tell me they have a job opportunity that could pay a bonus, for each of us.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 24,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Could ya'll tell that anything was wrong?

I know when I retired I could tell something was fixing to happen and warned other employees about it and they did not believe me..

Well less than a month after I left they closed the doors (took in no new work), but they did give a notice to the employees and they did get about another month of work...
It's funny you brought this up even though it is off subject. My boss, the superintendent, had the reputation as the crazy conspiracy theorist. Every morning we'de all show up early to work to drink our coffee's and chit chat because he always livened up the conversation with up to the minute news he got listening to so many different talk show radio shows. He was warning us for about 8 months before we had our big lay off that crap was going to hit the fan, and that we should all stock up with plenty of canned food, water, guns and ammo, because before long the United States would be under marshal law. He was blaming Dems. and this was basically a few months after Barrack Obama and his administration took over and started building govt. and spending massive amounts of money to do so. Doing nothing to stop the invasion of our country by Mexicans, this situation was inevitable. AZ is the is like the bees nest of their swarm where they are infiltrating our system from, is what he'd tell us. We all listened to him like children waiting for our next story and would always try to keep up woth him and listen to these shows as well, when we finally realized he is telling it like it is. This isn't a story and we are in deep trouble. He enlightened us and we were then enlightened ourselves. He was the to be laid off from our company because he was the highest paid, but still worked consulting here and there and would always tell us labor construction workers, watch out guys, it's coming! Well it has come and I was prepared for it, It wasn't a shock at all. What is shocking,is the media right before Nov.30th trying to convince the public that the economy is turning around. We are no better off now than we were after dems. took hold of our country. I am completely neutral and am no where near smart enough to formulate a conclusion that I am either Rep. or Dem. I think they boh have their good and bad points. I like the ideology of Dems. I just believe it is beyond even their comprehension on how to, actually in the real world, implement their strategies and make them work.
GOOD NEWS THOUGH, THEY ARE PROTECTING US BY IMPLEMENTING ADDITIONAL FEDERAL HELP OF THE EUC. If it were up to the Reps. I believe we wouldn't stand a chance and would be in marshal law by now. I hope it doesn't come to that. Hey I know Dems., how about hire a massive support of people to start watching our borders because this is a war that no one is hearing about. They are driving our blue collar jobs down the tubes becaue they are willing to live 20 people to a house. They are beautiful people and tight knit family oriented and morally sound people that just want a bettter chance themselves. It's how they are going about it illegally that is killing our blue collar job market. I was recently in AZ and with all the road infastructure I saw going on I saw 99% mexicans working on the prevailing wage state funded road jobs. I wonder how many are actually legal and jobs were taken away from our own countryman there and many other places too.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM

21 posts, read 24,178 times
Obama folds and gives Republicans what they want for 13 weeks of EUC extension. The tax cut for the richest for years, while we get 3 months of relief. After three months is up and we are in the same position because the richest didn't hire any more people, there is nothing left for dems to bargain with to add additional EUC relief. I actually hope congressional dems. don't go for this. It is actually absurd to only get 13 weeks. I dont knoe the details if it is a Tier 5 13 week or if it is just relief until march or april when they will cut it off again. If it is a tier 5 that will allow people to draw through the whole year of 2011, then i'd be on board.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,048,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V. View Post
Obama folds and gives Republicans what they want for 13 weeks of EUC extension. The tax cut for the richest for years, while we get 3 months of relief. After three months is up and we are in the same position because the richest didn't hire any more people, there is nothing left for dems to bargain with to add additional EUC relief. I actually hope congressional dems. don't go for this. It is actually absurd to only get 13 weeks. I dont knoe the details if it is a Tier 5 13 week or if it is just relief until march or april when they will cut it off again. If it is a tier 5 that will allow people to draw through the whole year of 2011, then i'd be on board.
It's 13 months of UI extensions not 13 weeks...

Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Well we're now going to spend even MORE money we don't have

-UE extension for 1 year for anyone over 26 weeks to 99 weeks. That would be 7 million people between those currently expiring and expiring over next year.
-SS tax for workers drops from 6.2 percent of pay to 4.2 percent
-2 year extension on Bush cuts

Where is the money to pay for this ??

Obama, GOP reach deal to extend tax cuts - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101207/ap_on_bi_ge/us_tax_cuts - broken link)

Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
simple answer...find a job

there are 100's of thousands of jobs out there

stop extending something that should have stopped at 13 WEEKS

if you cant find a job in 2 years..there is something wrong with your resume'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
Actually if you can't find a job in 2 years there is something wrong with the people that are running the government. Do you even realize that there are 15 million unemployed right now? The government is only reporting 2 million by the end of december but that number does NOT include the people that have expired their benefits and are living on the streets. Do some research before making such ridicules uninformative posts.

BTW, new reports show the unemploynment rate is up to 9.8% today. You think that is bad? Wait untill January when all the seasonal workers are let go !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Quit trolling this thread to pick a fight already, jeez.

hello everyone,

it wasnt trolling or a 'ridicules uninformative posts' it was actual information from my own experience

if you havent found a job in 2 years then there is definatly something wrong with your resume' , either you are missing some education or you didnt express your experience the correct way, or you are limiting yourself on the wage or distance to go to work

I retired in 05, got another job right away, that job lasted about 3 years and in the end of 08 the company went out of business.

I am willing to help people with thier resume' if anyone wants the help

there are lots of education opertunities out there,,and lots of jobs available

Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,048,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well we're now going to spend even MORE money we don't have

-UE extension for 1 year for anyone over 26 weeks to 99 weeks. That would be 7 million people between those currently expiring and expiring over next year.
-SS tax for workers drops from 6.2 percent of pay to 4.2 percent
-2 year extension on Bush cuts

Where is the money to pay for this ??

Obama, GOP reach deal to extend tax cuts - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101207/ap_on_bi_ge/us_tax_cuts - broken link)
Massive spending cuts... Pulling out of Afghanistan for good would help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies