Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 36,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Relax wise guy, I didn't notice the 2003. It can't be any higher than 2-3% by now. That is still very very low compared to the 10's of millions we have here. Answer the question though, how does a country the size of America give all that free stuff to everyone when about 50% of the population doesn't pay taxes? Here's the answer, it is impossible without making the citizens slaves.
So you do actually believe that 1,1 million out of 9 million = 2-3%? Mein gott, lord have mercy! It's about 12%...

I have not said that you should give free stuff to everyone. Here's a crazy suggestion though, get off your butt and get to work! On a more serious note, the unemployment level in the US is not much higher than in northern Europe - and those countries manage to provide basic services just fine. Why shouldn't the US? Perhaps you should take a word of advice from Warren Buffet, second richest person in the US, and slap more taxes on the richest 1%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Please, even as a kid in the 80s (when we visited Europe a lot bc of my dad's work and my godparents living there), I could see that living in Europe basically meant living in a crap hole (unless you were rich), being behind in tech (cuz it was too expensive or just unavailable), and spending god-awful amounts of money for basic living necessities. In the next 20+ years, I have been back several times, and nothing has changed.

That's not freedom. It's a sly, insidious oppression that keeps the general public captive and reliant on a giant system of social welfare.
It's painfully obvious that you know NOTHING about Europe. Where did you visit...Bulgaria?

Western Europeans (and even many Easterners) are more tech saavy than most Americans by a long shot. They have better housing conditions on average. Yes, some basic necessities can be quite expensive but it aint like that's being given away here either.

Again, Europeans are different than we are when quality of life is measured. They don't give a damn about a 50k pickup truck with a lift kit. They don't care about owning ATV's and boats that you take out twice a year. They don't desire to live in a McMansion with only 2 children. They don't desire an 8 seater SUV for a family of 4. They don't mortgage themselves to the hilt just so that they can own more toys than their neighbors.

They measure quality of life in safe streets, good schools, adequate vacation, good medical care, good food, good drink, and time spent with friends and family. They don't get their sense of pride from the crap they have sitting in their garage and on the driveways. We spend every dime we make (except for City Data members...all of whom are rich with a ton of money in the bank), they save their money at a rate than makes us look like fools.

People shoud spend time in Europe and see how the people there live before just spouting off what they last heard on Hannity about it.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I guess it makes more sense to compare individual US states to Sweden. Oklahoma and Iowa have about the same density as Sweden I guess Iowa is a pretty good state to compare it with, also in terms of ethnicity and the few important, diverse cities.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Actually, in this respect - water, electricity - Europe is probably a bit better off than the US, fewer power outages, especially in the winter, which is a big advantage when living in a climatically cold cold country.
During my 18 years living in Germany I traveled, but never saw any Europeans living in trailers.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewalkindude View Post
So you do actually believe that 1,1 million out of 9 million = 2-3%? Mein gott, lord have mercy! It's about 12%...

I have not said that you should give free stuff to everyone. Here's a crazy suggestion though, get off your butt and get to work! On a more serious note, the unemployment level in the US is not much higher than in northern Europe - and those countries manage to provide basic services just fine. Why shouldn't the US? Perhaps you should take a word of advice from Warren Buffet, second richest person in the US, and slap more taxes on the richest 1%?
ok, you got me again. 10% is the number I was looking for. 9 million people is a drop in the bucket to take care of compared to over 300 million. Taxing the rich will not do it, they will just take their money elsewhere and the problem gets worse. Warren Buffet should shut his old fat mouth until he shows the public that HE donated about 1 billion dollars to the Treasury. Until then he is nothing but hotair and a hypocrite.

Also, the reason why Europeans are able to have basic services while having high unemployment is because they are borrowing money that they will never be able to pay back like we are. That won't last and will end up in one giant European riot. It will happen sooner rather than later.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
During my 18 years living in Germany I traveled, but never saw any Europeans living in trailers.
For good reason...THEY DON'T!! I lived in Europe for 13 years, didn't see it either.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's painfully obvious that you know NOTHING about Europe. Where did you visit...Bulgaria?

Western Europeans (and even many Easterners) are more tech saavy than most Americans by a long shot. They have better housing conditions on average. Yes, some basic necessities can be quite expensive but it aint like that's being given away here either.

Again, Europeans are different than we are when quality of life is measured. They don't give a damn about a 50k pickup truck with a lift kit. They don't care about owning ATV's and boats that you take out twice a year. They don't desire to live in a McMansion with only 2 children. They don't desire an 8 seater SUV for a family of 4. They don't mortgage themselves to the hilt just so that they can own more toys than their neighbors.

They measure quality of life in safe streets, good schools, adequate vacation, good medical care, good food, good drink, and time spent with friends and family. They don't get their sense of pride from the crap they have sitting in their garage and on the driveways. We spend every dime we make (except for City Data members...all of whom are rich with a ton of money in the bank), they save their money at a rate than makes us look like fools.

People shoud spend time in Europe and see how the people there live before just spouting off what they last heard on Hannity about it.
LOL... The reason they don't care to do those things you listed is because they simply can't AFFORD to do them. Also, you say that most of Europe has better housing conditions than America? You just lost ALL credibility if you even had any. Tell us, How do Europeans save all this money when ~60% is taken in taxes? Sounds like an extremely boring place to live. Have at it.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
For good reason...THEY DON'T!! I lived in Europe for 13 years, didn't see it either.
If you loved it so much, why did you come back? Something tells me you are fibbing a whole lot here.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The only ones I remember were gypsies a few decades ago, and they have probably settled down by now.
But I don't even find it negative to live in a trailer. It is nice to be at home wherever you go Snail's abode

Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 36,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess it makes more sense to compare individual US states to Sweden. Oklahoma and Iowa have about the same density as Sweden I guess Iowa is a pretty good state to compare it with, also in terms of ethnicity and the few important, diverse cities.
Actually yes, it does make a lot of sense to compare Sweden to states such as Ohio and Minnesota, rather than the whole US.

However, the population density isn't all that different. In sweden there are 54 persons/square mile compared to the 83persons/square mile in the US. All in all, not such a great difference, especially not if you take a look at the isse from a wider perspective. In the Netherlands there are 1,039 people/square mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies