Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM

20 posts, read 22,412 times

Advertisements

After now having come back from Europe after living there for a good 8 months I am now understanding just why taxes and even Social Spending are taking our country and their various ones into debt... and in turn why and how the unemployment rate in larger areas of the country is enormous.

Most countries in Europe do not have massive millitary budgets, nor do they have things like Iraq/Afghanistan to worry about... yet a lot of them are massively in debt.

So I had to ask myself why Britain was bailing out Greece when I first arrived, and why there was all this talk in Britain about cutting spending, before they end up like a lot of countries in Europe.

I found that out through my stay.... I kept asking... why is the cost of living over here so enormous, no matter which country I end up living in.

I didn't have long to look...

The tax rate in many of the countries is around a whopping 50% then you still have to pay another 15% in some cases for the Medical "insurance". That's over half my paycheck gone before I even see it.

You literally have to make around 30 Euro an hour just to meet the cost of living, and then only barely. How many companies can pay that?

And then... because Everyone has to pay those taxes... the cost for goods and the simple shirt that you buy, goes up about that much so that they can pay their taxes too. Rent is outragious too. And you don't even get to ride all those mass transits for free either. You still have to pay a good 5-15 Euro depending on the place just to ride them.

You just made half the money you should have due to taxes to pay for all those things... everyone else is charging twice as much just to pay theirs.

Companies have to pay wages so ungodly that there's no way in hell they can afford to hire as many people, so the government has to pay for all those jobless and for all those Social Programs that more and more people have to lean on.

End result... all the money going out... not enough coming back in... countries going bankrupt and with no jobs to bring the money back in.

Social Spending has become a giant monster that is devouring the very same people it was intending to help, and crushing their governments under its weight.

After seeing this, its become obvious to me, Europe is going down and nothing can stop it. The real key to solving this is to reduce the cost of living without increasing goverment spending... that is simply not possible.

Iraq and Afghanistan were one shot expenditures and done... Not so with Europe. It's version is an endless sucking pit that will never stop, even if they lower taxes drastically right now to allow people to live... they would have to mandate a corresponding price decrease on all goods to get the cost of living down. Then the jobs might come back, because then their own companies could afford to hire more people, and more businesses could start up and survive. But then... what do you do with Loans taken out in that time... which cannot be decreased.

Europe is stuck in a slow spiral down that will only continue to get worse.

California looks to be in similar shoes, and I'd bet a lot of the reason the jobs aren't coming back in those areas is due to the cost of living. That is a problem they simply cannot fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Pretty much the same as when I discuss economies with my UK buddies.

They pay taxes out the snoot.

Tax or a fee for everything. Taxes on top of taxes.
Income and VAT taxes. Pay for your garbage to be removed and then have to pay the government for a disposal tax. Then the company your paying to haul off your trash has to pay tax on each load too.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
You're gonna get the left all upset here. Europe is their shining example of Utopia.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,196,890 times
Millions of people in France and Germany live in shanty towns because they can't afford anything. Every week these over-taxed people march thru the major streets with signs and shouting that they want the American Way. Just about all Europeans want to replace their disasterous healthcare system with one that's similar to America's. Of course, the European media won't show this because they are dedicated to the commie cause.
Yes, in Europe they pay 5 to 15 Euros for city transit. That's a whole lot more than riding a city bus in America for only $6.
Yet, the saddest part of Europe is that they have no hope...not many understand the hope that Jesus gives. But those immoral Europeans have removed god from their schools and daily lives, now they only can look forward to suffering in the eternal Lake of Fire.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Millions of people in France and Germany live in shanty towns because they can't afford anything. Every week these over-taxed people march thru the major streets with signs and shouting that they want the American Way. Just about all Europeans want to replace their disasterous healthcare system with one that's similar to America's. Of course, the European media won't show this because they are dedicated to the commie cause.
Yes, in Europe they pay 5 to 15 Euros for city transit. That's a whole lot more than riding a city bus in America for only $6.
Yet, the saddest part of Europe is that they have no hope...not many understand the hope that Jesus gives. But those immoral Europeans have removed god from their schools and daily lives, now they only can look forward to suffering in the eternal Lake of Fire.
Yes, but they have good healthcare. What else matters if you have good healthcare ?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM

20 posts, read 22,412 times
Its true, its bad over there,

I had no idea until I went over there to live just how bad its gotten. Their own people are being swallowed up by this, the same people this was supposed to be helping. Their governments are going bankrupt because jobs are few, the competition for them is enormous.

The cost to keep employees means fewer get hired. And those who are hired have to be paid enormous wages just so they can meet the cost of living.

Fewer jobs, less money coming into the government, all the money going out... none coming back in.

Europe in my personal opinion may only have a good 20-50 years of life left if they don't change course.

Like I said, Britain is doing the best of all of them that I saw, and even they are going ... whoa wait, this has gone too far!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,990,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Lay down the crack pipe.

They are protesting to preserve government benefits.

"Shouting that they want the American way".....sure whatever....LOL

And they want to do away with universal healthcare????????....LOL

Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,990,154 times
Yet another thread saying that a government is going "bankrupt"......LOL

Poor fools don't understand the term isn't even applicable to governments.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Lay down the crack pipe.

They are protesting to preserve government benefits.

"Shouting that they want the American way".....sure whatever....LOL

And they want to do away with universal healthcare????????....LOL
Reality hurts..eh ?
This coming from people who have been or are over in Europe.

Have any family there ? I suggest you give them a call and talk to them.
I have family in Ireland..times are bad over there..really bad.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're gonna get the left all upset here. Europe is their shining example of Utopia.
So, going broke because we're building other countries is the right's shining example of Utopia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies