Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverquick View Post
It that the things they are telling you to say?? I was there my friend, I just got back a month ago. And it wasn't as a "tourist".

I know what I saw. I know what things cost. I know what I had to make just to make a living.

I know damn well why they're having those problems out there. You want me to site some news story?

How the hell can I do that? No one is going to write a story on me. Nor are they going to write one on the people I know.

I had a friend who went out to buy a 10 pack of Zantec tablets because he had real alergy problems in Belgium, it cost him almost 30 Euro. Thats about 35 american dollars. Apparently you can get a portion of it back at the end of the month if you don't make enough... one problem.

You have to come up with the money in the first place. Thats enormous for a base cost.
I told you..the left hold Europe on a pedestal..you're raining on their parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM

20 posts, read 22,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
In all their poverty and misery do you ever send your friends some canned soup or something to make sure they eat more than twice per week?
No but a girl I was dating who was a teacher was paying 600 Euro a month for a ****hole appartment that literally had toilet paper stuffed in the walls because you could see the outside of it.

And that didn't include utillities which was another major cost, that said, utillities are calculated differently. They get pro rated.

Given that a 30 Euro an hour job instantly becomes around 15 Euro a month, and even then you have your medical taken out of it. I'm surprised she could even afford that much.

That said I didn't ask her wage.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,208,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now..how's about the cost of living in those higher standard places ?

I do know that a Big Mac costs $7USD in Norway...three times what it costs here.

One major item is that they live with less. The US consumer is known for buying junk and throwaway crap. Life is not like that in Europe.
Thanks for supporting me. Like I said, Europeans just can't afford computers, cell-phones, and various other electronic gadgets. If you only could see the old, beat up clunkers on European roads! They just can't afford new cars, except every 15 years. Most Europeans don't even know what a cell phone is...those that do can only wish they had one.
A friend of mine says his family huddles together during winter because they can't afford heat.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,792,332 times
The Scandinavian countries are doing just fine and they have the most generous welfare systems from cradle to grave.

Texas is deep in debt.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,221,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yet another thread saying that a government is going "bankrupt"......LOL

Poor fools don't understand the term isn't even applicable to governments.
Do you want to tell that to Russia? How about Iceland, or Argentina, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Ecuadore, or Germany who has gone bk twice, South Africa 6 times, France 8 times.

Silly young poster, thinking governments are exempt from economic bankruptcies

Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverquick View Post
No but a girl I was dating who was a teacher was paying 600 Euro a month for a ****hole appartment that literally had toilet paper stuffed in the walls because you could see the outside of it.

And that didn't include utillities which was another major cost, that said, utillities are calculated differently. They get pro rated.

Given that a 30 Euro an hour job instantly becomes around 15 Euro a month, and even then you have your medical taken out of it. I'm surprised she could even afford that much.

That said I didn't ask her wage.
I know a guy from Chicago that got himself a job that pays $10 per hour. Right away he rented a trendy apartment for $1,000 per month and leased a new BMW for $380 per month. He eats from dumpsters and knows his problems are because the government takes too much in his taxes.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I told you..the left hold Europe on a pedestal..you're raining on their parade.
A pedestal is at least something. It seems that Silverquicks and your concepts of Europe are supported by nothing but thin air.
I bet I can outdo Silverquick about misery is Europe. This is fun.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,448,562 times
Last time I was in Europe, this German guy complained to me about how he had to pay a 50$ co pay for a $100,000 surgery

When I was in Belgium, this Belgian guy complained to me how he had to wait until he was 60 to retire.

When I was travelling, this Australian guy complained to me how he could only go on paid holiday for 3 weeks since his free university would not give him more.

The rest of the world is surley collapsing.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,339,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis
Millions of people in France and Germany live in shanty towns because they can't afford anything. Every week these over-taxed people march thru the major streets with signs and shouting that they want the American Way. Just about all Europeans want to replace their disasterous healthcare system with one that's similar to America's. Of course, the European media won't show this because they are dedicated to the commie cause.
Yes, in Europe they pay 5 to 15 Euros for city transit. That's a whole lot more than riding a city bus in America for only $6.
Yet, the saddest part of Europe is that they have no hope...not many understand the hope that Jesus gives. But those immoral Europeans have removed god from their schools and daily lives, now they only can look forward to suffering in the eternal Lake of Fire.
LOL, I haven't heard such a ridiculous thing for a long time.

1.) The health care system in most European countries is MUCH better than in the USA. I haven't seen anybody shouting that they want the American Way, even I have lived in Europe for years. The American health care system is the most inefficient and expensive in the world.

2.) City transit is much better and cheaper in most European countries, for about 60-70 Euro a month you can ride the public trains, busses, metros and railway in a whole metropolitain area like Berlin, Munich, or wherever. And public transport is avaliable allmost everywhere.

3.) The USA have a horrible deficit in its budget as well, even we don't have that healthcare and social security expenses. Life quality for the very rich is better here, life quality for the poor is much worse than in Europe. I don't judge about what is better.

4.) Don't bore me with those God and Jesus blah blah, this has nothing to do with economics. In my opinion, religion should have nothing to do with the state and education systems. It belongs into anyones private life.

5.) The only thing I would complain about as a European would be the high taxes. But is their kind of living - in exchange you don't have to fear thousands of dollars of spending once you need to go to hospital. And you don't need to fear to lose your home immediately in case you lose your job. Retirement is state-run and more or less safe, so it is not based on any speculative hedge-funds, bursting like a bubble.

I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Should it be "We are so much better than Europe?" or should it be "Everybody wants to be like us"?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 PM

20 posts, read 22,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Thanks for supporting me. Like I said, Europeans just can't afford computers, cell-phones, and various other electronic gadgets. If you only could see the old, beat up clunkers on European roads! They just can't afford new cars, except every 15 years. Most Europeans don't even know what a cell phone is...those that do can only wish they had one.
A friend of mine says his family huddles together during winter because they can't afford heat.
That's not exactly true,
Cell Phones can be cheap about 40 Euros for the real cheapies... but the time on them is NOT.

They generally pay per minute, so you go get a chip and throw money on it, but because it costs so much and get used up so fast no one calls anyone unless they absolutely have to.

They use texting instead, and even then sparingly, because that costs money too.

Computers are pretty rare, unless you're in major cities, and even then. Internet is horrible, connections are bad. But they use Skype to keep from having to pay long distance costs when they can, because that costs way too much.

About the only thing that didn't cost about enormous amounts of money was the beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies