Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM

565 posts, read 486,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverquick View Post
Its true, its bad over there,

I had no idea until I went over there to live just how bad its gotten. Their own people are being swallowed up by this, the same people this was supposed to be helping. Their governments are going bankrupt because jobs are few, the competition for them is enormous.

The cost to keep employees means fewer get hired. And those who are hired have to be paid enormous wages just so they can meet the cost of living.

Fewer jobs, less money coming into the government, all the money going out... none coming back in.

Europe in my personal opinion may only have a good 20-50 years of life left if they don't change course.

Like I said, Britain is doing the best of all of them that I saw, and even they are going ... whoa wait, this has gone too far!
What is this all about, who are you working for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM

45,314 posts, read 26,582,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Glad you mentioned this...
my friends shook their heads over the recent demonstrations in France. They said that people like that are crazy. "Why can't they be like Americans?" He ranted, "Americans don't protest anything, Americans just do as they're told!"
Maybe you slept through the mid term elections?
And sounds like your French pals are a tad ignorant, because Americans protested with their votes against the ruinous progressive agenda.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,895,204 times
Throughout this entire thread are claims of how poorly the economy in Europe is. Yet I do not see one news link or concrete example of what you are referring to.

How about some sort of information to go on for example the country. An earlier thread stated that Germany's economy was booming because they refused to follow Obama's advice for a stimulus.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM

20 posts, read 22,479 times
You'd always hear over in the states that things were just sooo much better in Europe.

They were wrong.

Tax rate increases the cost of living, which increases the wage that needs to be paid, its like an endless loop. There is a reason they're saying the recession has hit worse over there.

I remember a while back when 3M was cutting all these jobs when the economy crashed. Yeah I was one of them. I remember they cut almost all of their operations in Europe, then some in the US, but were shockingly expanding in Asia.

I kept wondering why they would do that.

Well Now I know. No way in hell could they continue to do business in Europe. Not after what I've seen. If 30 Euro an hour is what they have to pay just to meet the cost of living (and just barely) then no... its not gonna happen.

No wonder France lost their plant out there. I remember in the news they stormed the place and held it hostage. But they had no one to blame but themselves and their own government. They put themselves in their own shoes.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,780,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
They are not protesting because their governments are "bankrupt".

That's a fantasy in your mind only.

They are going bankrupt. They are basically there. Greece started cutting and fixing the problem. Raising the retirement age, started violence.

Can you imagine, if their economy totally shut down, for lack of money.
Government workers getting an IOU. Who would they protest against?

Who are they going to attack first?

EDIT: You edited your post I quoted...

Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,011,841 times
Quote:
You'd always hear over in the states that things were just sooo much better in Europe.

They were wrong.

Tax rate increases the cost of living, which increases the wage that needs to be paid, its like an endless loop. There is a reason they're saying the recession has hit worse over there.

I remember a while back when 3M was cutting all these jobs when the economy crashed. Yeah I was one of them. I remember they cut almost all of their operations in Europe, then some in the US, but were shockingly expanding in Asia.

I kept wondering why they would do that.

Well Now I know. No way in hell could they continue to do business in Europe. Not after what I've seen. If 30 Euro an hour is what they have to pay just to meet the cost of living (and just barely) then no... its not gonna happen.

No wonder France lost their plant out there. I remember in the news they stormed the place and held it hostage. But they had no one to blame but themselves and their own government. They put themselves in their own shoes.
Why don't you back up any of your B.S with objective data?

I've lived there as well and your misinformed opinion is just that.

Let's just start with standard of living....many countries in Europe have a higher standard of living than the USA.

In fact the higher the taxes the higher the standard of living.

2010 HDI

Norway 0.876 ()
Australia 0.864 ()
Sweden 0.824 ( 6)
Netherlands 0.818 ( 3)
Germany 0.814 ( 5)
Switzerland 0.813 ( 7)
Ireland 0.813 ( 2)
Canada 0.812 ()
Iceland 0.811 ( 8)
Denmark 0.810 ( 9)
Finland 0.806 ( 5)
United States 0.799 ( 8)
Belgium 0.794 ( 5)
France 0.792 ()
Czech Republic 0.790 ( 13)
Austria 0.787 ( 9)
Spain 0.779 ( 3)
Luxembourg 0.775 ( 6)
Slovenia 0.771 ( 10)
Greece 0.768 ( 2)

Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,688,366 times
Quote:

Let's just start with standard of living....many countries in Europe have a higher standard of living than the USA.

In fact the higher the taxes the higher the standard of living.

2010 HDI

Norway 0.876 ()
Australia 0.864 ()
Sweden 0.824 ( 6)
Netherlands 0.818 ( 3)
Germany 0.814 ( 5)
Switzerland 0.813 ( 7)
Ireland 0.813 ( 2)
Canada 0.812 ()
Iceland 0.811 ( 8)
Denmark 0.810 ( 9)
Finland 0.806 ( 5)
United States 0.799 ( 8)
Belgium 0.794 ( 5)
France 0.792 ()
Czech Republic 0.790 ( 13)
Austria 0.787 ( 9)
Spain 0.779 ( 3)
Luxembourg 0.775 ( 6)
Slovenia 0.771 ( 10)
Greece 0.768 ( 2)
Now..how's about the cost of living in those higher standard places ?

I do know that a Big Mac costs $7USD in Norway...three times what it costs here.

One major item is that they live with less. The US consumer is known for buying junk and throwaway crap. Life is not like that in Europe.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 PM

20 posts, read 22,479 times
Quote:

It that the things they are telling you to say?? I was there my friend, I just got back a month ago. And it wasn't as a "tourist".

I know what I saw. I know what things cost. I know what I had to make just to make a living.

I know damn well why they're having those problems out there. You want me to site some news story?

How the hell can I do that? No one is going to write a story on me. Nor are they going to write one on the people I know.

I had a friend who went out to buy a 10 pack of Zantec tablets because he had real alergy problems in Belgium, it cost him almost 30 Euro. Thats about 35 american dollars. Apparently you can get a portion of it back at the end of the month if you don't make enough... one problem.

You have to come up with the money in the first place. Thats enormous for a base cost.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,011,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now..how's about the cost of living in those higher standard places ?

I do know that a Big Mac costs $7USD in Norway...three times what it costs here.

One major item is that they live with less. The US consumer is known for buying junk and throwaway crap. Life is not like that in Europe.
It's their standard of living.....they obviously can afford it.....because it's THEIR STANDARD OF LIVING. ..LOL

And your argument is they don't live in dilapidated "throw away" mobile homes like you see out in Alvardo Texas and this is a BAD thing???????

Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,219,356 times
Quote:
It that the things they are telling you to say?? I was there my friend, I just got back a month ago. And it wasn't as a "tourist".

I know what I saw. I know what things cost. I know what I had to make just to make a living.

I know damn well why they're having those problems out there. You want me to site some news story?

How the hell can I do that? No one is going to write a story on me. Nor are they going to write one on the people I know.

I had a friend who went out to buy a 10 pack of Zantec tablets because he had real alergy problems in Belgium, it cost him almost 30 Euro. Thats about 35 american dollars. Apparently you can get a portion of it back at the end of the month if you don't make enough... one problem.

You have to come up with the money in the first place. Thats enormous for a base cost.
In all their poverty and misery do you ever send your friends some canned soup or something to make sure they eat more than twice per week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies