Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The TSA debacle has made the infamous Taiwanese news animators :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBL3ux1o0tM

--------------------

Also, more concerns about the safety of the scanning machines (which is my main concern). There are two types of scanners, those that use xray backscatter, and those that use millimeter wave (radio frequency). The following article is about the xray backscatter, and there are more links at the bottom of the article at the link:

FDA sidesteps safety concerns over TSA body scanners

Regarding the second type, the millimeter wave scanners, from Millimeter wave scanner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :

Some have said that these might be safe than the backscatter machines. Note that the frequencies used are close to the T ray range. Here is an article on the possible risks associated with terahertz waves:

How Terahertz Waves Tear Apart DNA - Technology Review

So while at a diff't frequency, the range the machines use is too close for my comfort. Nobody knows the long term effects from either of these machines. I'm amazed that any single person is willing to be a guinea pig for the TSA goons in the name of 'security theater'.
Most interesting. I remember when catscans were new. They have since discovered that they amount of radiation they used was far in excess of what they needed and posed clear health risks. And that was in a hospital/lab setting with people who supposedly knew what they were doing.

I'll keep away from all of that I think. The only possible way I'd go on a plane would be if it was a death/serious illness in the family. But I wonder... maybe not even then.

If one person can trace cancer to the radiation then talk about lawsuit time. Too late, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Most interesting. I remember when catscans were new. They have since discovered that they amount of radiation they used was far in excess of what they needed and posed clear health risks. And that was in a hospital/lab setting with people who supposedly knew what they were doing.

I'll keep away from all of that I think. The only possible way I'd go on a plane would be if it was a death/serious illness in the family. But I wonder... maybe not even then.

If one person can trace cancer to the radiation then talk about lawsuit time. Too late, of course.
Nevermind cancer..what about reproductive systems exposed to this radiation ?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nevermind cancer..what about reproductive systems exposed to this radiation ?
That won't show up until later. What about women who are pregnant and don't know it too? Pregnant women should be forbidden the scan entirely. Who knows what sort of damage there is to a developing baby?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
1. Flying is not public transportation.
2. If you do not want to subject yourself to scanning/groping, take the train or take the bus. You have a choice.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
No one makes you buy a ticket to fly somewhere. I hate airlines and what they have become but it is still A CHOICE.

Drive a car, take a bus or train.
But if you fly, you have to follow their ridiculous rules.

Too tall? Too bad, shrink a bit or squeeze knee high into their lovely seats. Too fat? Too bad, even though they make the seats narrower than ever, they are happy to charge you twice the price with no discount for being wide (not even fat, just hippy).

That is life, don't fly anymore if you don't like it. But I see they are trying to protect everyone from a dangerous situation. They screwed up too many times to not check your crotch, your towel on your head, and your bra.

I am ok with it. I value my life.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM

255 posts, read 219,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
And, it looks like they've finally come up with something that makes it easy to see exactly what's being carried under people's clothing.
This technology is meant to protect all of us.

The TSA people are doing their job -- and it's a difficult and thankless one. The Transportation Security Administration is an agency of Homeland Security. The screeners are officers and their job is to perform security screening of persons and property and control entry and exit points within an airport. They also practice surveillance of several areas beyond the checkpoint and before it in specialized programs TSA has implemented.

The fact is that we don't want people carrying explosives to have the option to simply decide "not to fly" instead of being scanned or searched.

This man got his "15 Minutes of Fame" at the airport and now he should be prosecuted. He was wrong.

If you don't like it -- don't fly.
Ok well, while the technology is MEANT to keep us safe, it doesn't change the fact that there are limits to governmental authority. We seem to conveniently forget that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Communism was MEANT to level the playing field for all the people, to eliminate the classes. Instead it forced the people into a compusitory police-state. America is in the early stages and those unable to look at history and recognize the warning signs need to be brought into the light.

Yes the TSA agents are "Just doing their job", but they are acting like drones. It's as though there is no front-line discression or discernment allowed. Anything that can be remotely perceived as a potential weapon when you strain your imagination has to be examined. Well, virtually ANYTHING can be turned into a weapon.

I agree whole-heartedly that we don't want people carrying explosives onto a plane, but not allowing people to carry liquids onboard because they might be an explosive is ludicrous. More than likely if people are drinking the liquid, it isn't an explosive. The TSA should focus their attention more specifically on the demographic that has been trying to blow planes up in the first place. People might whine about profiling but dammit this is the world we live in. If (picking a group randomly) Mormons were setting off bombs and killing people in the name of god, does it make sense to step up the security on Hindus as well so that the Mormons don't feel singled out. Seriously people?

And as for the man who got the gun through the scanners, I'm speculating, but I would be more inclined to believe that he was performing an audit of the security. If I was trying to sneak a gun through the last thing I would do is broadcast my success to the TSA.

Thank you for your thoughts World Citizen, it's always good to have a free exchange of ideas even if they are not mutually accepted

Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
The TSA should focus their attention more specifically on the demographic that has been trying to blow planes up in the first place.
I'm sure they want to, but the PC crowd cries foul....

Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM

255 posts, read 219,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
And what if you have a prosthetic d_ck? Do you have to remove it and let it be searched?
I don't suppose one might be required to removed it, but look on the bright side. If agents can see a rough image of a person's naked body with these scanners, there might be a market for prosthetics or even slip-on devices for those guys who are insecure. Think potential.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well images of bodies are hitting the net. The TSA said they couldn't be saved..yet they were.
The TSA said they wouldn't be released..yet they are on the net..obtained by FOIA request.

One Hundred Naked Citizens: One Hundred Leaked Body Scans
"We understand that it will be controversial to release these photographs. But identifying features have been eliminated. And fortunately for those who walked through the scanner in Florida last year, this mismanaged machine used the less embarrassing imaging technique.

Yet the leaking of these photographs demonstrates the security limitations of not just this particular machine, but millimeter wave and x-ray backscatter body scanners operated by federal employees in our courthouses and by TSA officers in airports across the country."

Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,908 times
Default TSA insanity

Muslim Group Advises Women Wearing Hijabs to Allow TSA

Muslim Group Advises Women Wearing Hijabs to Allow TSA

Cassy Fiano » It’s Come To This: TSA Screener Accosts A Screaming 3-Year-Old (http://www.cassyfiano.com/2010/11/its-come-to-this-tsa-screener-accosts-a-screaming-3-year-old - broken link) (too bad the video on this one was removed anyone have a link to it?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies