Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,926,065 times

Advertisements

andrea. should killing a dog be the same as a human?

what are your thoughts on us americans and are plain stupidity in elevating dogs above fellow humans?

do you view your pet as a family member?

you know, when I bring up how dog is a delicacy in asian countries, and how people on the streets regularly blow there heads off in middle eastern countries because they cant control them and they run amuck, I always have people say well thats because they are not civilized human beings.

my response to that is, whats more civilized. killing an animal for entertainment, making it a delicacy in restaurants, etc. or lifting that same animal to human status and giving the animal more rights than an actual human, evoking more passion when one is tortured and killed then a human.

i mean come on here, you can't be serious andrea.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

what are your thoughts on us americans and are plain stupidity in elevating dogs above fellow humans?

you know, when I bring up how dog is a delicacy in asian countries, and how people on the streets regularly blow there heads off in middle eastern countries because they cant control them and they run amuck, I always have people say well thats because they are not civilized human beings.

my response to that is, whats more civilized. killing an animal for entertainment, making it a delicacy in restaurants, etc. or lifting that same animal to human status and giving the animal more rights than an actual human, evoking more passion when one is tortured and killed then a human.

Americans, like you, me, and everyone else reading this, value their internet connection over suffering humans, let alone living creatures. Each one of us ops for spending our time and monies on the boob tube or computers vs using it to purchase food for hungry children, etc. What's elevated to each of us is what we individually value and that varies from one person to the next. There really isn't a stage for pontificating here.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Americans, like you, me, and everyone else reading this, value their internet connection over suffering humans, let alone living creatures. Each one of us ops for spending our time and monies on the boob tube or computers vs using it to purchase food for hungry children, etc. What's elevated to each of us is what we individually value and that varies from one person to the next. There really isn't a stage for pontificating here.
speak for yourself. i work full time, go to school full time and while not much, have donated to 2 organizations this year.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
speak for yourself. i work full time, go to school full time and while not much, have donated to 2 organizations this year.
Doesn't change the facts. We indeed value our TVs and internet over other humans in need. I donate too, and not just money, but my time. The fact remains that I'm not sending off my internet money to those in need. I'm not condemning, to be clear, it's just the way it is. It doesn't make sense to me, tho, when people put forth the animal over human argument when such people value 'things' first and foremost over the majority of humans. It's hypocritical. Further, opposing compassion in any sense is always wrong, imo. But, again, that just shows how we prioritize and value differently.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:44 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
My responses are in red.

Quote:

Not quite, but almost. It's still a living, sentient being.

I don't think anyone values an animal's life more than a human's. I don't. How about the stupidity of using "are" instead of "our"?

Yes.

Do you know how they get those dogs? Do you know how dogs are tortured to be used for food over there? The people are psychotic if they think torturing a dog is going to make it taste better. These are domesticated animals, they should not be eaten. I can't even imagine it. People who would kill an animal in that manner is not civilized, if that have no regard for life in any form. They CAN control them through spaying and neutering, it's just apparently too much of a hassle to take some darn responsibility to deal with the problem.

Nobody is lifting animals to human status. We are just outraged that animal cruelty goes on without much of a punishment. I am just as appalled when a human is killed. However, what people do to animals on a daily basis in this world is disgusting. I don't think there are as many humans being tortured as there are animals, and animals don't understand what's going on and are rendered helpless and confused in the situation. They just know they are feeling extreme pain. The factory farming industry is the worst, but people like to look the other way b/c if they knew what was going on, they might not eat commercially produced meat anymore. It goes on much more than you know, obviously.

What do you mean? Am I being serious about what? I stand by my statement that people who abuse animals often go on to abuse humans. It's a fact.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM

I agree that animal torture is a pre-cursor to human torture. I disagree with you in regards to americans in general elevating animals above humans. I think to the average pet owner, the death of a pet would be emotional and upsetting then a death of someone else they knew that wasn't related to them, like an acquaintance at work.

I guarantee you thats the truth. A complete stranger I already know the animal is above that, an acquaintance dying the animal is above, and I would argue distant family would be below the animal to most dog owners.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:47 PM

I think it's the truth as well. Of course it's no surprise that some value their pets over most humans. These folk feed, house, and care for these animals their whole lives while not feeding, housing, and caring for other humans their whole lives.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:13 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
I agree that animal torture is a pre-cursor to human torture. I disagree with you in regards to americans in general elevating animals above humans. I think to the average pet owner, the death of a pet would be emotional and upsetting then a death of someone else they knew that wasn't related to them, like an acquaintance at work.

I guarantee you thats the truth. A complete stranger I already know the animal is above that, an acquaintance dying the animal is above, and I would argue distant family would be below the animal to most dog owners.
I agree with this, now that you put it that way. I also think it's natural to cherish and care more about the things you know best, and if you have a longer, closer history with your dog than you do with a co-worker, you might be more upset about your dog dying than the co-worker. I don't necessarily think that's putting the animal OVER the human, just that they have different values to the person in question.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:46 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
and this, Michael Vick photographed smoking a blunt.
What's your point? Michael Vick is not the only person out there smoking a blunt.

It should be noted that since his released from prision he hasn't failed a drug test.

Yet you seem to be fixated on him and other Black American sports and media personalities.

I have yet to see you condemn the actions of White American sports and entertainment personalties for their involvement in drugs. It's not like there aren'n't any.

http://current.com/entertainment/mov...possession.htm

Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 PM

23 posts, read 69,532 times
Your question is dumb.. Michael Vick has done his repayment to the community for what he did. People are still continuing to ridicule him after things are over... I mean virtually after every comment on Michael Vick's performance.. the famous last words "of course vick was convicted just a few years ago for dogfighting"... come about ..

Yet.. and steadily.. Ben Rothelisburger or however his name is correctly spelled; can get away with raping a woman and no jail time... no probation... and a 1, maybe 2 week suspension FOR PUBLICITY ISSUES ... its BS...

Nowadays, even though we are living in 2010.. almost 2011.. racism is still alive and strong. It makes no sense that someone, anyone would be harassed due to their skin color.

History has proven that the average black or african american has gotten heftier punishment for equal crimes... than a caucasian.

Its total truth.. and for the record I'm african american and don't support any of the mistreatment of any race... OR DOGS.. <JUST FOR THE RECORD>
And yes.. I'm a Philadelphia Eagles fan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies