Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
a person or thing that acts, happens, or exists in such a way that some specific thing happens as a result; the producer of an effect

something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence

A cause is the reason why something happens. Such as if a deer runs out in front of you while you are driving, you will slam on the brakes. The effect is what happens because of the cause. So when you slammed on your brakes, your tires stop...
Please.... actually reason to a conclusion. Because you do not do so here.

However, if you are offering the deer running into the road as a cause, it is also an effect. Something caused it to run into the road. Here in California that cause would most likely be a coyote.

Note also that you have offered slamming on the brakes as a cause. It is also an effect. It's cause was the deer running out in front of you.

So... we are still waiting for you to provide a single example of an uncaused cause. Please, take a moment to ponder that "great variety of subjects" that you know so much about and come up with a single one.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
The proof is in the pudding. I offered a one on one in person test. I'm willing to prove it beyond a doubt.

Internet Tough Guy:

http://robotpirateninja.files.wordpr..._tough_guy.jpg

Get over yourself. This is the Internet. Didn't anyone explain the rules to you?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
The proof is in the pudding. I offered a one on one in person test. I'm willing to prove it beyond a doubt.
Where do you see anybody on this thread who has any doubts?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is mean spirited intended to hurt and there fore it is wrong.
Please define "wrong" in this context.

What about people who are offended when fundamentalist Christians tell them they are going to Hell, or otherwise judge their lifestyle and morals?

You have no right to live unoffended by the opinions of others.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM

203 posts, read 278,794 times
Dont these signs make atheists look like hypocrites? Doesnt any atheist evangelization look hypocritcal?

One of the many complaints that atheists and non-religious have about religious people is that they push their faith and preach about their faith and morals. Many atheists and non-religious say that religious need to be more tolerant and less preachy.

However, dont these billboards just encite and entice the very Christians that atheists and non-religious do not like preaching and proselytizing to do just that? It seems like it is counterintuitive and hypocritical.

It makes atheists and non-religious seem like they can dish it out but that they cant take it.

It also shows them to be very disrespectful of Christians. This is one of the biggest times of the year for Christians. It doesnt seem to be very tolerant and accepting to do this at a time of year that is thought highly of by Christians.

Do atheists put up these billboards during Ramadan? or Jewish holidays?

It makes atheists seem to be anti-Christian and hate Christians rather than disbelieve in God.

Sure, Christians are more preachy and vocal about their faith. But this shows that atheists are equally as preachy and vocal about theirs despite their protests to being tolerant and accepting of other practices.

I dont mean to paint atheists and non-religious was a broad brush. However, often the idiots make a bad name and stereotype for everyone.

It makes atheists look like they are mad at and have a particular beef with Christianity that they dont have with any other religion. Most likely because most atheists are ex-Christians and are mad at the Christian God for something he did not do or for something they do not like about Him.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I can't believe it. There are people who defend a god that can't be proven. There are people that actually still believe in these fairy tales and are offended when another group dares to stand up and say to put reason and logic in the season instead of false fairy tales.

America would be so much better off if we focus on reason this season. Not just this season but all the time.

And these religious people are the people who whine that Obama or liberals are taking away their freedom of speech but then cry when something about putting reason into the season is up.

Calvinist says that being religious is reasonable and logic. Well then, why are you so offended when the sign says to be reason in the season if being religious is reasonable? My god.

It saddens me to see people think that their imaginary friend(s) (Depending on which religion) from the skies are watching. I keep on saying this and no religious person has been able to refute this. If I told you I heard Peter Pan in my head and I kept the Peter Pan book on the side as a Bible and that he was watching over me, you'd think I was crazy.

How is god any different than Peter Pan?

And about this sign, get over it. Freedom of speech goes both ways. There are signs damning people to hell and then there is this sign that simply states that reason should be celebrated. Why are religious people against reason? Because religion is illogical and ridiculous and contradicts god?

Seriously. I laugh at the insecurities of religious people on this thread. Not so strong in your faith or imaginary friends, eh?

And they call liberalism a mental disease. At least I don't have imaginary friends.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Please define "wrong" in this context.

What about people who are offended when fundamentalist Christians tell them they are going to Hell, or otherwise judge their lifestyle and morals?

You have no right to live unoffended by the opinions of others.

Personally, as a Christian, I get annoyed with those types as well. While I am a Christian, and a believer, what right is it of mine to judge how others live, or to tell others how to live just because I don't live that way? I mean, I do believe in personal liberties. Pretty simple actually. I wish more people Christian or not, would live like that.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Where do you see anybody on this thread who has any doubts?
You doubt that I'm more intelligent than you. I don't doubt it, and I've made the offer to prove it.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Please.... actually reason to a conclusion. Because you do not do so here.

However, if you are offering the deer running into the road as a cause, it is also an effect. Something caused it to run into the road.

It chose to. Nothing caused it, it just simply was.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:12 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I can't believe it. There are people who defend a god that can't be proven. There are people that actually still believe in these fairy tales and are offended when another group dares to stand up and say to put reason and logic in the season instead of false fairy tales.

America would be so much better off if we focus on reason this season. Not just this season but all the time.

And these religious people are the people who whine that Obama or liberals are taking away their freedom of speech but then cry when something about putting reason into the season is up.

Calvinist says that being religious is reasonable and logic. Well then, why are you so offended when the sign says to be reason in the season if being religious is reasonable? My god.

It saddens me to see people think that their imaginary friend(s) (Depending on which religion) from the skies are watching. I keep on saying this and no religious person has been able to refute this. If I told you I heard Peter Pan in my head and I kept the Peter Pan book on the side as a Bible and that he was watching over me, you'd think I was crazy.

How is god any different than Peter Pan?

And about this sign, get over it. Freedom of speech goes both ways. There are signs damning people to hell and then there is this sign that simply states that reason should be celebrated. Why are religious people against reason? Because religion is illogical and ridiculous and contradicts god?

Seriously. I laugh at the insecurities of religious people on this thread. Not so strong in your faith or imaginary friends, eh?

And they call liberalism a mental disease. At least I don't have imaginary friends.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies