Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times

Advertisements

And I think you're awfully naive if you think this hasn't happened before. This just happened to be a time where the perpetrator was caught at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So do you think it was merely coincidence that the slave states were the ones who pulled out? Would they would have seceded if slavery had been welcomed in the United States?
A better question is would they have pulled out if the Presidential election hadn't been won by Lincoln. Because Lincoln's election had a lot more resonance than simply a slavery issue. The election of a candidate with zero support from a region of the country makes it clear that that region has no influence on the federal government. Electoral votes reflect legislature control on the federal level. Especially in the context of how Presidents were elected prior to 1860. When a President is elected without reference to half the nation, it means that that same half will lose in Congress on issue after issue after issue.

Why was the American Revolution fought just a scant eighty years before? To assure the people they would have a voice in their government? And eighty years later, the rural part of this nation, the moneymaker for the federal government to boot, was made pointedly aware that their voice was irrelevant. Do you understand what that meant? Why a region who felt it would not have a say in the federal government might want to secede?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The only history that matters is current events.
That is a patently ridiculous statement. History sets the social, polticial and economic context for EVERYTHING that happens between human beings on this planet.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
NYT: South celebrates Civil War, without slaves - U.S. news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

The war has been re-branded as celebrations come up to drastically play down the role of slavery, and the fact it even happened. Instead many are making it all about "states rights" while the good ol' southern boys were defending their homes from the warring North.

Screw that one of the tantamount reasons to secession was to keep human beings as property I guess.
I have two principal reactions to the promotion of slavery as related to the Civil War.

First, as a modern society, it is incumbent upon all U.S. citizens to ensure the rights and privileges of all citizens of the U.S., as well as anywhere on the planet possible, are protected.

Second, in a retrospect, the sooner I can get over my abuses by others in the days of my youth, the sooner I can get on with a more productive life.

As a thought, aren't Santa's elves a form of slavery as well?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That is a patently ridiculous statement. History sets the social, polticial and economic context for EVERYTHING that happens between human beings on this planet.
Not when it can't be interpreted objectively.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The civil war was about states’ rights. One of those rights was the right to own slaves but the larger issue was states’ rights and that they should be preeminent over the Federal government. Lincoln, a Republican, didn’t really care about slavery and a bunch of Northern Whites were not going to lay down their lives to free a bunch of Blacks that most of them had never seen in their lives. If you believe otherwise you are fooling yourself and you don’t understand human nature.

The reason that Lincoln made the war about slavery is that the European powers were about to enter the war on the South’s side. The reason is that the South was a major producer of raw materials that the industrialized European powers needed. The North, which was also industrialized, was a direct competitor with European countries. Since slavery had already been eliminated in Europe Lincoln knew that if he made the war about a righteous cause of freeing the slaves then the European powers could not possibly enter the war on the South’s side. His plan worked and the European powers stayed out of the war.

Today Slavery is a distant relic of the past. Even without the civil war it would have ended long ago as technology made it cost-ineffective. The issue of State’s rights Vs. Federal Rights is still relevant today and so it is right and proper that we focus on that issue when talking about the causes of the civil war.
older thread, older post but exactly as I have felt all along about the Civil War and the issues. I do not want to "fight" the war over again and I am not trying to evade the issues but, this post pretty well cuts to the chase, so to speak. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
older thread, older post but exactly as I have felt all along about the Civil War and the issues. I do not want to "fight" the war over again and I am not trying to evade the issues but, this post pretty well cuts to the chase, so to speak. Thank you.
If you believe that I have a few fairy tales to tell.

The ordinances of secession speak of but one right, the right to own slaves, and no other.

As for Europe intervening in the war, other than as a result of the Trent Affair which was soon corrected, nothing could be further from the truth. What was at stake was Europe's recognition of the South as a sovereign nation and with that regard slavery or no, there was great opposition amongst the British population and Parliament to do that.

Europe and the American Civil War

Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
Funny stuff.

Ignoring that slavery played any part in the civil war, and rewriting the history of owning other human beings, is part of the Neo-Confederate movement. Which is a heavily dominionist and racist concept that is continued now by Stormfronts "Lost cause of the South". This was originally started by old confederate soldiers after the end of the war, most of which went on to found the KKK.

Nice that even today some people haven't moved beyond this way of thinking.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Funny stuff.

Ignoring that slavery played any part in the civil war, and rewriting the history of owning other human beings, is part of the Neo-Confederate movement. Which is a heavily dominionist and racist concept that is continued now by Stormfronts "Lost cause of the South". This was originally started by old confederate soldiers after the end of the war, most of which went on to found the KKK.
And I might add that it was the rallying cry for segregationist for 100 years... and counting.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 AM

Maybe the abolitionists were the ones who thought it was about slavery.

And maybe their viewpoint was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies