Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,012,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
True. It was just the primary, overriding reason.

Who said I didn't say it wasn't a huge issue? Do you think that there is one reason for every war in history?

-----Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederate States of American in the Cornerstone Speech, delivered March 21, 1861.

This has been dragged out so many times here, for the last time what Stephens had said would most definately NOT be considered offensive to an 1860's audience, those mentalties were typical back then.

In the same 'way' that Germany was defending itself from the United States, 1941-1945.

Like how the C.S.A. had originally wanted a "Wayward sisters go in peace" ending to the whole ordeal (Jefferson Davis said it himself). Lincoln's White House would not permit it, Southern isolationism would not coincide on what the Northern government wanted.

Here's the declarations of secession of Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas:
Declaration of Causes of Secession

Searching the text of those documents, the very words of the secessionists, we find the words 'slave/slavery/slaveholding' occurring 81 times. Those documents revolve around slavery. They're positively obsessed with it, and the 'right of states' (ie, 'states rights') to hold slaves. That's the 'states rights' that were being preserved - the right to enslave human beings. Of course, it's utterly laughable to call the power of a state of enslave people a 'right'. But I know how the apologia goes.

Yep, that is all it right there, except Georgia mentions Taxes and Texas mentions Indian raids as well. But looking as those were the "Fire Eater" states, the states that were life and death reliant on it of course they would be concerned about it. But what about the other 6-8 Confederate states like Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas and North Carolina? After the events of Sumter they had felt the Union had overstepped it's bounds and left for a country that would respect their sovereignty as states. But to downplay states rights like such, really shows your grasp of American history, Jeffersonian politics and Anti-Federalism all-together. I mean, nevermind that Jim Crow Laws came from the Northern states, it's all the SOUTH'S fault remember?

You can peruse the orders of secession of the other states if you want. They can be found online. You'll find the same thing -- clear declarations that slavery must be preserved.
But your oversimplifying of the events leading up to it, and the history behind it is quite a sad testament of your grasp on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,992 times
All of you that posted Lincoln's words, thanks. I always thought it was funny how so many of my fellow black people think that Abraham Lincoln was somehow the Saviour. I'd think, "You all need to read what really went down instead of that small paragraph in the high school history books."

Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Dems are always attempting to re-write history.

those dems then are now repubs now

Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
All of you that posted Lincoln's words, thanks. I always thought it was funny how so many of my fellow black people think that Abraham Lincoln was somehow the Saviour. I'd think, "You all need to read what really went down instead of that small paragraph in the high school history books."
got links

Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
got links
Digital History (http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_display.cfm?HHID=336 - broken link)

From this article:
Lincoln denied that he was a radical. He said that he supported the Fugitive Slave Law and opposed any interference with slavery in the states where it already existed.

Lincoln said that he, too, was opposed to "bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races."

That being said, I distrust information from links.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
got links
I'm confused, what are you asking me? Haven't you ever heard Abraham Lincoln's speeches or read his writings? Heck, some of them are even in this thread? What are you asking me? Do you think I am wrong? My point is that one of the biggest general ideas growing up was that the Emancipation Proclamation was this big attempt to free black people and that Abraham Lincoln was the greatest President for that and that black people have him to thank. I always felt like he got that credit when he actually said things in the past that showed he could care less about slavery and also that there were other people working hard to abolish slavery that never got spoken about in history books.

So, I got to go and dig up links for you when they are right here in this thread and they are the ones that I was particularly commenting about?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Digital History (http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_display.cfm?HHID=336 - broken link)

From this article:
Lincoln denied that he was a radical. He said that he supported the Fugitive Slave Law and opposed any interference with slavery in the states where it already existed.

Lincoln said that he, too, was opposed to "bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races."

That being said, I distrust information from links.

I am aware of this. I also heard somewhere that Lincoln wanted to repatriate Blacks to another nation, either in the Caribbean or Africa.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Germany invaded other countries. The Union invaded another country.

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with slavery?
Washington DC never recognized the "Confederacy" as a nation. That is why it invaded.

What is wrong with slavery? Well, getting your freedom taken away by force. Not having any freedom to live your live as a human being. That is what I see wrong with slavery. Slavery is the opposite of freedom. This is how I really feel about it: I go by New Hampshire's motto "Live Free or Die". That is how I feel about slavery.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
If you think you have freedom now, you're in for a big surprise.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
If you think you have freedom now, you're in for a big surprise.
I'm more free than I would have been under slavery. Every society has to have some kind of law and order. That being said, law and order must also be tempered with some kind of freedom. Slavery in the USA had NO freedom. Being free is more free than I would have been under slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies