Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The right of the states to govern themselves without federal interference.

Do we really need a Secretary of Education? He or she isn't doing any of YOU any good.
Like I said before, I don't trust state rights. There are documents all over this forum showing the slavery was a major reason why the South wanted to secede. It's in the Articles of Secession. How does that help ME?

Federal interference? Of course the Deep South states didn't want it. They wanted to keep slaves. The Black man didn't have a say in that. The Black man was a slave in the South and had no say in it. I am thankful for that federal interference. If a state wants to allow slavery, then I want the federal government to "interfere" because it is obvious that state can't be trusted to treat its persons as American citizens. If you can't trust your own state, then the feds SHOULD step in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Interesting Article, sure to be accused of being written by someone unknowledgeble of the Civil War.

Five myths about why the South seceded
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/07/AR2011010703178.html1 (broken link).

The South seceded over states' rights.
Confederate states did claim the right to secede, but no state claimed to be seceding for that right. In fact, Confederates opposed states' rights -- that is, the right of Northern states not to support slavery.
We know that slavery was the major issue. We both know that the "right" to continue slavery was the major reason the South wanted to keep slavery. However, there are many people out there who will never believe or admit that. And I have run into many of them in my life.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You mean interference with the slave states' desire to continue the practice of slavery.
No, interference with, among other things, commerce. Their ability to sell the things they produced.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Like I said before, I don't trust state rights. There are documents all over this forum showing the slavery was a major reason why the South wanted to secede. It's in the Articles of Secession. How does that help ME?

Federal interference? Of course the Deep South states didn't want it. They wanted to keep slaves. The Black man didn't have a say in that. The Black man was a slave in the South and had no say in it. I am thankful for that federal interference. If a state wants to allow slavery, then I want the federal government to "interfere" because it is obvious that state can't be trusted to treat its persons as American citizens. If you can't trust your own state, then the feds SHOULD step in.
You can't trust the feds either.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
You can't trust the feds either.
Well, I trust the feds to handle things more than the state government. The recent snowstorm in Georgia lets me know I can't trust the government. The fact that Blacks could hardly vote in Southern states lets me know I can't trust the state government. The fact that former President Lyndon B. Johnson forced the Southern states to let Blacks vote tells me that sometimes the federal government NEEDS to step in when the rights of fellow citizens of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA are being violated or not being respected. That is how I feel.

And if one can't really trust the feds, then what is suppose to help ME, as a Black man living in the USA? It took the feds to enforce voting rights. It took the feds to abolish slavery throughout the USA. If I can't trust the feds, then who can I trust? What will help ME?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM

The only thing you can trust is YOURSELF.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
The only thing you can trust is YOURSELF.
Yeah, Africa Americans and their allies, trusted themselves to build a number of cases through the FEDERAL COURTS that culminated in United States Supreme Court striking down separate but equal with the decision in Brown v Board of Education.

Then African Americans and their allies trusted themselves to force the President of the United States to use the United States Army to integrate the Little Rock school system.

Then African Americans and their allies trusted themselves through a series of brutal campaigns to force the FEDERAL government to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Do you detect a pattern here, did you note the absence of state governments in this process?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Didn't I say that things were best left up to the individual? The only person you can trust is you? I don't like ANY government, actually, but the smaller and smaller it becomes, the better it is.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Didn't I say that things were best left up to the individual? The only person you can trust is you? I don't like ANY government, actually, but the smaller and smaller it becomes, the better it is.
Clearly you either didn't read my post, didn't understand it, could comprehend it, or you are just playing the willfully obtuse, take your pick. Either way, I really don't care what you think or like about the size of government. The fact remains that "small" government kept African Americans in a state of virtual servitude while Big government provided them the opportunity to full citizenship. Each of your posts on this thread continues to reenforce my view of which side of that debate you remain on.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM

161 posts, read 141,516 times
Quote:
Better, only if done under the right circumstances. If you have a lot of problems that still need to be address and you all of a sudden have a weak government overseeing it, you know what you get? Just look at countries like the Congo and Somalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies