Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Apparently millions can and do.
And they would be the new wave of homeless.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Actually UE benefits are borrowed money--borrowed from China--and the bill passed on to our kids and grandkids. How liberal of us!
Ya, while also paying for Bush's "three week cakewalk" in Iraq and Afghanistan...you didn't mind THAT but you mind helping AMERICANS!!??!!

How Repub of you!

BTW, some of your kids and grandkids just may NEED unemployment pay!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear33 View Post
how about people like me who graduated from college in 2008 and have had to move back in with their parents and be tortured by a complete lack of independence AND having worked their ass off for all of this time to try to get a job but to no avail, WHO ARE NOT RECEIVING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS?!?!?!
It is people like you that have caused many of us to have no compassion for the un-employed. Your arrogant, ungrateful attitude is despicable.

If I were your parents I would kick your sorry arse out, then you could really be tortured. You show no respect for your parents.

Quit whining like a spoiled little brat.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
By your mid 20's most people ARE supposed to be independent and not living at home....

Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Exactly. While I'm sure there are a lot of people that truly are in dire need, I'm willing to bet the majority of the people collecting UE are scumbags simply gaming the system at the rest of our expense.

Dangling free money in front of people tends to bring every Tom, Dick and Harry out of the woodwork to get there share.
You would lose that bet. May you never have to depend on UE benefits to pay your bills and feed your family, it does not go that far.
Casper

Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 AM

I doubt anyone is getting rich off of unemployment...but it DOES seem to make some people very angry that people are getting anything at all.

But to be honest,the amount is a pittance compared to how much has been given to the banksters who are responsible for this mess.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Exactly. While I'm sure there are a lot of people that truly are in dire need, I'm willing to bet the majority of the people collecting UE are scumbags simply gaming the system at the rest of our expense.

Dangling free money in front of people tends to bring every Tom, Dick and Harry out of the woodwork to get there share.
Yup, all those unemployed people just up and quit by the millions so they could lay around, loose their homes, visit homeless shelters for food, worry over paying the heating bills, ...NO one was LAID OFF...right?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-07-2010 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 AM

You can't get unemployment if you quit,unless it was for VERY compelling reasons...at least not in this state,perhaps other states are more leninet but I would like to see proof this is the case.

You can be fired from a job and get unemployment,or laid off.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Bush tax rates remain the same, estate tax of 35% instead of 50%, payroll tax cut.
There shouldn't even be a death tax (estate tax). Why should the government get one cent from a person's savings when they die? It is the ultamate infringment on private property rights to deny one the ability to leave ones wealth, accumulated by a lifetime of hard work, to one's children.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It's a done deal. All Americans will keep the Bush tax cuts in exchange for pushing unemployment benefits out 13 months. So now the people who have been stressing that they might have to actually look for a job, only have to look for a bar to celebrate.
Quote:
That about sums it up for me. +1. Getting paid for 3 years to sit on you azz. Only in America.
Quote:
Exactly. While I'm sure there are a lot of people that truly are in dire need, I'm willing to bet the majority of the people collecting UE are scumbags simply gaming the system at the rest of our expense. Dangling free money in front of people tends to bring every Tom, Dick and Harry out of the woodwork to get there share.
Quote:
Apparently enough that's allowing stuff like this is occur......
Let's face it, this is a shame and only allowing people to simply sit idle at the taxpayers expense UNTIL they find a job that pays them more than UE does. Many of these people could get a job if they wanted to but who is going to actually take a mundane job at a retail outlet or restaurant and only make a bit more than they can sitting on their azz watching Springer and soap operas?
More hate filled ignorance towards the unemployed First, in order to collect unemployment you have to have been EMPLOYED and part of the benefits that one receives along with health insurance, vacation and sick pay is the company you work for pays into unemployment insurance. Second, in order to even qualify for that unemployment insurance you must have worked for so many months/years to determine how much unemployment insurance you will recieve, it is an earned benefit just like vacation or sick time. Third, as a condition of receiving unemployment insurance you must keep a log of all the contacts, applications etc. that you have made to be submitted to the unemployment office, if this is not done you will loose your benefits. So the unemployed who are getting benefits are not sitting on their azz as you put it.

You've apparently had your head in the sand for the last 2+ years, FYI, jobs across the country were and are disapearing at an alarming rate and the unemployment rate skyrocketed to 10% or more. Lay offs were happening in the 100,000's per month and still are. The unemployment rate just went back up to 9.8%, America is still bleeding jobs. Companies are not hiring.

My personal fav, is the "just go get any job" statements, apparently you and others have problems doing basic math there are 5 people for every 1 job...sigh, once again it goes like this... 5-1=4. That means for every 1 job available in the USA there are 4 people for who there is NO JOB. I will also post this link to a survey done by Time Magazine/CNN, you will notice that those "just get any job" jobs have a much higher rate of 6.4 people for 1 job and 7.2 people for 1 job than the national average of 5 people for every 1 job. So in essence, those "menial jobs" everyone sez to go and get are actually harder to come by.

Job Competition - TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It doesn't ADD to the length of the extensions - just extends the DEADLINES for the current extensions...........if you're going to post at least have the right info to sneer at
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Tax Cut Deal: President Obama Announces Terms of Deal with Congressional Republicans - ABC News
From the way this story reads, it sounds as though the 99ers will get extensions, thats what I'm reading.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That does not mean it will be an additional 13 months for those already at the 99 week mark. Some conflicting information on what if anything is happening to those at 99 weeks.

The 13 months is moving the deadline for when someone can move from one tier to the next tier level of benefits. As of now anyone who finished their tier level after the end of November could not move to the next tier level of benefits. The tier levels were, the original 26, 46, 60, 73, 79 (only available in states above 8.5%) followed by another 20. If you ran out of your tier level after the end of November, you could not move to the next tier level and would be capped at that level.

For example someone who reached 26 weeks of benefits this week, would not be able to move to the next tier level and would be capped at 26 weeks. Same thing for someone reaching the 46 week plateau this week or the 60 week plateau and so on, they would be capped at that level as they could not move to the next tier after the extensions ran out.
Yup, most employed people don't understand that there are not additional weeks being added at this time it's only extending the "cut off date" of when an unemployed person can get the existing approved benefits, I've yet to find anything adding additional weeks and as a 99er I'm paying very close attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
hey poobear, now is the timeto look for a job! Companies are going to start hiring again
Let us know where those jobs are please, I love to go to work, and work hard every day looking. Since it's apparent you are employed and have not had to look for work over the last 2 years, you would be surprised at all the scam jobs that appear on the job boards today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Tough poopoo....seriously that is basically what people will say.
Or to go get a job doing anything and paying min.wage because that is somehow 'honorable'...
See above link and paragraph on the "any job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Without unemployment or a job how will the banks, utilites and grocery stores get paid? Or are you all willing to have the mortagages forclosed, utility companies unpaid and grocers providing free food? Uemployment Insurance payment is not to benefit the unemployed it is to benefit the UE'd fixed suppliers. At least the Uuemployed's payments are going to the protion of the population that cannot hoard the money or invest it in China.

Can any of you live on the example of $325 per week or less? Unemployment Insurance has never been generous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And they would be the new wave of homeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You would lose that bet. May you never have to depend on UE benefits to pay your bills and feed your family, it does not go that far.
Casper
Thanks for your support

It never ceases to amaze me at the venomous hate towards the unemployed...we didn't create this mess we are the victims of it. We are not lazy, we are not drug addled, we are not alcoholics. We are your neighbors, your friends, our children go to school with yours. Most if not all of the long term unemployed - the 99er's as we are called, are over 50 and have worked for decades - 30 to 40 years of working and paying taxes, being good neighbors, friends and good citizens. We work hard every day trying to find work. Do you really think we want to be unemployed to face loosing our homes our cars our savings our retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies