Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,311,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's terribly immoral. It is the worst tax. The republicans should not have accepted this PLUS give in to 13 month UE extensions.
People have bee laid off by the miliions and its "mmoral" to help them.

I'd never want to be part of any religion or moral belief system that you practice.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:42 PM

362 posts, read 392,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Exactly. While I'm sure there are a lot of people that truly are in dire need, I'm willing to bet the majority of the people collecting UE are scumbags simply gaming the system at the rest of our expense.

Dangling free money in front of people tends to bring every Tom, Dick and Harry out of the woodwork to get there share.
The people who work for low wages at burger king, mcdonalds, walmart etc just got punked. One would have to be an IDIOT to work for 40 hours when they can sit on their a## for free. They'll all be scrambling for a way to get on the gravy train or they'll adopt an even worse 'tude if that is at all possible.

I'd be willing to bet half of the people on UC for 99 weeks plus weren't even on their jobs for that long.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
The people who work for low wages at burger king, mcdonalds, walmart etc just got punked. One would have to be an IDIOT to work for 40 hours when they can sit on their a## for free. They'll all be scrambling for a way to get on the gravy train or they'll adopt an even worse 'tude if that is at all possible.

I'd be willing to bet half of the people on UC for 99 weeks plus weren't even on their jobs for that long.
You really are clueless as to how UE works aren't you?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
More hate filled ignorance towards the unemployed First, in order to collect unemployment you have to have been EMPLOYED and part of the benefits that one receives along with health insurance, vacation and sick pay is the company you work for pays into unemployment insurance. .
Insurance has limits. Get to your limit and you're done. Works the same for all of us. Why should you be any different.

Quote:
Yup, most employed people don't understand that there are not additional weeks being added at this time it's only extending the "cut off date" of when an unemployed person can get the existing approved benefits, I've yet to find anything adding additional weeks and as a 99er I'm paying very close attention. .
I'm old enough to remember a time when people were embarassed to admit they were even on unemployment comp let alone for 99 weeks. You make the term 99er sound like something to be proud of. Sad.

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me at the venomous hate towards the unemployed...we didn't create this mess we are the victims of it.
Ah the victim mentality. If you want to see real victims, you should try working for a living. It's gotten to be a snake pit to survive. I'm self employed with no saftey net. I work in a very competitive field. Yet I still manage to vacation out of state 1200 miles away from my clients for several months in the summer. Why? Because I do a great job for them and don't give them any option but to keep me as their guy. That's quite a feat in my business and this economy. Yet, I feel if I can do it anyone can. Well, except maybe the crybabies.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Exactly. While I'm sure there are a lot of people that truly are in dire need, I'm willing to bet the majority of the people collecting UE are scumbags simply gaming the system at the rest of our expense.

Dangling free money in front of people tends to bring every Tom, Dick and Harry out of the woodwork to get there share.
Hey, you want to quit your job and let me have it? You can live off my unemployment check while I live off your paycheck? How does that sound? My unemployment check is a measely $265 a week. Any unemployed haters want me to take your job so you can live off my unemployment check? Any takers out there??? Probably not. I will take any job I can get.

Be glad you have a job and stop with the snarky comments about people that don't. You are not special because you are employed. You should be on your knees thanking God you have a job.

In my small town, four factories have closed and shipped jobs to Mexico, the local university laid off, even the professors are on pay freezes. This area used to be thriving with work. There are people standing on the streets begging for cash and digging through dumpsters for food. Is that the kind of life you want? This is the life of many unemployed Americans.

I have a college degree and I am forcing myself to apply at jobs like Starbucks and Subway. I even enrolled in classes starting in the spring and have been doing my own self-study courses right now. Oh, and applied for several hundred jobs in my career field. Yet, I am lazy. Give me a break.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,962 times
Quote:

At least the people at Burger King, Walmart, and McDonalds have BENEFITS like HEALTH INSURANCE. I am stuggling to pay for mine on unemployment. I can't buy my asthma medication anymore. I wish I could get hired on at Walmart, but they just laid off in my area. Seriously, they laid people off. I hear Walmart has some pretty good medical insurance.

I don't qualify for Medicaid since I am single with no kids.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have a college degree and I am forcing myself to apply at jobs like Starbucks and Subway.
Why is it that people who have college degress feel the need to wave it around in every conversation? (not impressed) And why exactly do you think wasting thousands on your worthless degree (must be worthless, you're broke) makes them too good to work at starbucks and subway?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times
Is the idiocracy working in shifts on this thread?
One leaves and another shows up.
Sheesh, little people with little minds.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,373,545 times
Quote:
Insurance has limits. Get to your limit and you're done. Works the same for all of us. Why should you be any different.

I'm old enough to remember a time when people were embarassed to admit they were even on unemployment comp let alone for 99 weeks. You make the term 99er sound like something to be proud of. Sad.

Ah the victim mentality. If you want to see real victims, you should try working for a living. It's gotten to be a snake pit to survive. I'm self employed with no saftey net. I work in a very competitive field. Yet I still manage to vacation out of state 1200 miles away from my clients for several months in the summer. Why? Because I do a great job for them and don't give them any option but to keep me as their guy. That's quite a feat in my business and this economy. Yet, I feel if I can do it anyone can. Well, except maybe the crybabies.
Comments so uninformed and asinine and they prove my most of my points all in one felled swoop we have another one for the old

Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,233,071 times
How about giving every person who wants extended benefits a broom, if their last job was physical labor or they are able-bodied, and make them work 40 hours/week sweeping our streets, Tue through Sat, in order to receive their checks? (That will leave Mondays to interview.) How about making the others go into places like nursing homes 40 hours/week and read the newspaper or a book to the elderly/blind? (I'm sure there are other opportunities, but you get my drift.)

I wonder how many who are collecting would suddenly "find" jobs which were previously illusive to them, as opposed to those who were still unable to find employment? I would love to see the end statistics of doing something like this.

Surely people wouldn't resent giving unemployment benefits to anyone who "works" for them while collecting, would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies