Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
too bad, because the rich are generally very good people to know. i should know because i rubbed elbows with many of them in various places i have worked.
I don't share that view at all. I even used to have a girlfriend from a rich family, it was a very difficult relationship and ultimately failed of course as I could not hide my contempt for materialism. They seemed so ridiculous to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 PM

45,432 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't share that view at all. I even used to have a girlfriend from a rich family, it was a very difficult relationship and ultimately failed of course as I could not hide my contempt for materialism. They seemed so ridiculous to me...

Yeah, I can see where the break-up was her fault.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
well said NBP, well said.

neuling, just because you have contempt for the rich, doesnt make them bad people. i worked in a four star/four diamond resort, and dealt with the rich. and i mean the very rich, company presidents, CEOs, movie producers, movie stars, etc. and except for two or three, they were ALL the nicest people you would want to meet, and they were generous to a fault. they were rich enough to demand five star service, but they only expected motel 6 service for the most part. if you needed it, they would give you the shirt off their back, and ask if there was more they could do for you.

you might want to rethink your stance on rich people. remember they are the ones that will give you a job, and a paycheck.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
I am 47 soon to be 48 years old.
In my life experiences I have learned a few things.
Luck is word losers use to describe why winners win.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Please explain how luck made them wealthy. Unless they won big in the lottery, I think it has a lot more to do with decisions they've made.
This also touches on the folks who do win the lottery and within a few years are financially in the same situation as before they won after squandering it all. Also brings to mind actors and athletes who've made many millions over their careers only to wind up bankrupt later on.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:34 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Luck definitely plays a role, oftentimes a significant one. Not all factors that account for one person's success are entirely within that person's control, despite how much Americans want to dearly believe that we actually have a "meritocracy"

Let's face it, one's socioeconomic class, upbringing, "connections", race/skin color, and even attractiveness and height all play a role as well in giving some people in-built, preliminary advantages in the game of life versus others.

Maybe if people would actually take their blinders off and make an honest observation of themselves and others (too bad I'm not counting on that however)...

Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Luck definitely plays a role, oftentimes a significant one. Not all factors that account for one person's success are entirely within that person's control, despite how much Americans want to dearly believe that we actually have a "meritocracy"

Let's face it, one's socioeconomic class, upbringing, "connections", race/skin color, and even attractiveness and height all play a role as well in giving some people in-built, preliminary advantages in the game of life versus others.

Maybe if people would actually take their blinders off and make an honest observation of themselves and others (too bad I'm not counting on that however)...

Everyone is dealt a hand of cards. It's how you play those cards that matter... not what those cards are.

There have been poor, rich, connected, unconnected, white, black, blue, hot, ugly, fat, skinny, etc. people that have become successful.

Let's face it, the sure way to get rich is increase your income and decrease your spending.

Until 2 years ago, I was basically living out of a room, with a 13" crt TV, and a 1994 Ford Taurus. Now I have a net worth well into 7 digits. Recently purchased two homes, a new car and a nice TV... but that was after I accumulated wealth by saving and investing.

It's the folks that start spending before saving that will always remain poor. Not because they are unlucky, but because they don't understand economics.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 PM

Yes, ofcourse I've played poker. A person with a 2 3 offsuit can surely beat a pair of aces. I'd get you to fold before the showdown. Sure, knowing my hand, you wouldn't but in real life you wouldn't know my hand and unless the flop has an Ace as well, it's all up to how ballsy you are.

Anyways, the point is that you can overcome the situation you were born into. It's not a permanent limiting factor unless you have some serious handicap (i.e. born with no brain).

Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 PM

There's two options:

Ban steriods: Neither athlete can take steroids; thus it's fair.

Don't ban sterioids: Both athletes have option to take steriods; thus it's fair. Even then, it's not guaranteed that the athlete that's not on sterioids cannot overcome the one that is.

Back to the discussion: I don't see how this has anything to whether rich people are lucky or not. More often than not, a rich person worked at becoming rich and didn't just get lucky.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I did not say it was her fault, all I said is that we were not compatible because of her being rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said NBP, well said.

neuling, just because you have contempt for the rich, doesnt make them bad people. i worked in a four star/four diamond resort, and dealt with the rich. and i mean the very rich, company presidents, CEOs, movie producers, movie stars, etc. and except for two or three, they were ALL the nicest people you would want to meet, and they were generous to a fault. they were rich enough to demand five star service, but they only expected motel 6 service for the most part. if you needed it, they would give you the shirt off their back, and ask if there was more they could do for you.

you might want to rethink your stance on rich people. remember they are the ones that will give you a job, and a paycheck.
Not well said, for the reason above.

Nor did I say rich people are bad people, I said 'I consider them unwise and foolish, their properties, goals, and priorities are incompatible with mine. Bad company.'
Bad company is not the same as bad people. Bad company means I don't want to have anything to do with them because of their properties etc. I was a Buddhist for many years, naturally I think of rich people the way I do.

As to the rest, actually poor people are much more generous than rich people. I have seen it in Africa and even here, the poor and lower middle-class people are much more generous. Sure in absolute terms they will not give you as much as rich people, but keep in mind that to a poor person one or five dollars worth of food amounts to a much higher percentage of their wealth than a thousand dollar meal to a rich person. It is easy being generous when you are rich. Generosity only means something when the persons really feel their generosity in their wallets and accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies