Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Nah, because he realized I was absolutely right. He knows I don't think much of the way he lives his life. Nor am I envious, I deliberately don't work more than I have to to make ends meet. He works, I live

You just reiterated the opinion I have of you.

But you are wrong about one thing - you are absolutley envious as I see you spew your 'rich envy' all over this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
You are joking right? You just made the most ridiculous statements I have read in a long time.

SO WHAT if 50% of a whole lot is 'better' than 10% of very little? That is called life! Get over your jealousy of the 'rich.' We are not a country of robots with everyone making the same and living the same lifestyle nor should we be. This is just crap that people actually feel that way.

It is not fair to tax people whom others feel make more money on a higher rate. Period. The only reason libs are crying for this is so they can find a source to fund their ridiculous entitlement programs.

Your brother should not feel ridiculous complaining about high taxes on his new raise and shame on you if you made him feel that way.

Petty jealousy from those wanting more is really starting to make me sick.
You got that pretty wrong. First, I don't want more, I am content with what I have. Like it or not, x saying that y has too much does not mean x wants anything from y.

My brother is a greedy, *****rdly capitalist, and he knows what I think of him. If he were not my brother I would probably not even talk to someone like that.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
You just reiterated the opinion I have of you.

But you are wrong about one thing - you are absolutley envious as I see you spew your 'rich envy' all over this forum.
Nah, it is not rich envy, it is rich disgust...

Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good. Work more so you can pay more taxes. I mean, that's y'all's favorite thing, right? Giving the government more money. Why don't you give them more instead of insisting the rest of us do it.
Why would I? I don't like the government, it does so many wrong things with tax money.
If my brother or any other rich person complains about paying too much taxes, I feel like saying, work less and shut up

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Of course hard work is important, but most of the rich are also very lucky. You need luck AND hard-work to be rich. The problem with setting taxes is that people just assume that the rich's wealth is proportional to their effort. I don't think that's true. I think it's more like after a certain amount of effort, you need luck to be super successful.

That's why I think the rich needs to have more taxes. It accounts for the luck factor.

The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell talks a lot about how people become successful.

i think it's generally accepted that hard work will strengthen your odds of becoming lucky...with that being said, no...they shouldn't be punished by having higher taxes.

i think of it like this...

you're at a restaurant, and it's widely accepted that your tip should be at least 15% on good service. let's say you are hosting a large party, and the restaurant thinks it's wise to go ahead and ADD the gratuity/tip to the bill to ensure the food server gets his fair share. Chances are, that food server will get his/her 15%, and nothing more. now, on the other hand, if that food server did a good job, worked hard, and decided to take a risk by not forcing the tip on the bill, chances are he/she will get more than 15%.

with that being said, let's talk charities...force the rich to pay higher taxes to support the underprivaledged, and the same thing will happen. allow the rich to do charity work on their own, and you may be surprised to see greater payoffs to the underprivaledged.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,467 times
Quote:
Why would I? I don't like the government, it does so many wrong things with tax money.
If my brother or any other rich person complains about paying too much taxes, I feel like saying, work less and shut up

Wrong answer!

People are not complaining about working too much - they are complaining about the government trying to take so much of the money they are earning.

And btw...why do you have 'rich disgust' if you are not 'rich envious'? If you are not envious and bitter towards the people you deem rich, why do you care so much to have such strong opinions?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
The absolute amount of taxes doesn't matter. If a rich person paid 50% and a lower middle-class person paid just 10%, the rich person is still a heck of a lot better off. It's 50% of a whole lot vs 10% of very little.
The absolute amount of taxes does matter. There should not be any goal of making a high income person and a middle income person the same financially.

Being "a heck of a lot better off" does not matter.

We have two basic tax problems in the USA.

1. Our government is huge and should be reduced by 40 - 50%.

2. Too many Americans pay no income taxes.

Solve those two problems and the arguments about taxes would pretty much go away.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Wrong answer!

People are not complaining about working too much - they are complaining about the government trying to take so much of the money they are earning.

And btw...why do you have 'rich disgust' if you are not 'rich envious'? If you are not envious and bitter towards the people you deem rich, why do you care so much to have such strong opinions?
Huh? Why is it the wrong answer when you put words into my mouth, saying the opposite of what I said? I said they are complaining about paying too much taxes, I did not say they are complaining about working too much.
My point is, why does someone earning 10k a month care if they pay 3k or 4k or 5k in taxes per month? In my view that is just childish. If they are sooo pissed by the tax rate for the rich, why not cut back the work and earn less?

As to your question, I just happen to be a very non-materialist person, I used to be a Buddhist for a long time, and although I no longer am for religious reasons, I still believe in various aspects of it that make sense to me, for instance that accumulating material wealth is unwise and stupid, a waste of energy and time. I feel sorry for my brother because he is wasting his only life and doesn't realize it.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times
Quote:
I did not say it was her fault, all I said is that we were not compatible because of her being rich.

Not well said, for the reason above.

Nor did I say rich people are bad people, I said 'I consider them unwise and foolish, their properties, goals, and priorities are incompatible with mine. Bad company.'
Bad company is not the same as bad people. Bad company means I don't want to have anything to do with them because of their properties etc. I was a Buddhist for many years, naturally I think of rich people the way I do.

As to the rest, actually poor people are much more generous than rich people. I have seen it in Africa and even here, the poor and lower middle-class people are much more generous. Sure in absolute terms they will not give you as much as rich people, but keep in mind that to a poor person one or five dollars worth of food amounts to a much higher percentage of their wealth than a thousand dollar meal to a rich person. It is easy being generous when you are rich. Generosity only means something when the persons really feel their generosity in their wallets and accounts.
You are jealous of the rich, plain and simple. You see what they have and you are jealous. You don't like rich people b/c you yourself are not rich and for some reason, you can't understand that with hard work and good decisions, you could have the things that they have. It's not about being materialistic, it's about enjoying life. Perhaps this girl and her family were an exception or something, left you with a bad taste in your mouth. But you're painting with a rather broad brush here.

I want a link to statistics or an article backing up your assertion that the poor are more generous than the rich. I think you're forgetting all the donations that the rich make, even if only to lower their tax burden. Generosity means giving of your time, talent and treasure, not just b/c you "feel it" in your wallet.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You are jealous of the rich, plain and simple. You see what they have and you are jealous. t.
Either that or just lazy. People always act self-righteous like that when they want to justify why they don't want to work hard or do the right thing.

"I'm so above all that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies