Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Are you crazy? How can I lie when I have experienced it myself? Is it my fault you have probably never gone to Africa etc. and been embarrassed and humbled by the generosity of people who have hardly anything?
Tell me the unit generosity is measured in and maybe I will find a source for you...

My brother will be dead and wasted when he gets into retirement age, if he ever does...
Time, talent and treasure, I already said it. If you're not a churchgoer, I will explain: time is spent volunteering, talent is donating your time doing something you're good at like doctors who go on mission trips, treasure is monetary donations. Find me some stats.

I have no desire to go to Africa, thanks. But I have seen plenty of testimony about mission trips to that continent and yes, there are some generous people there, but they are doing it b/c they're thankful us greedy rich Americans are going over there to help them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What the heck??? My grandparents go on cruises and scrimp on everything else (they paid cash for their home 15 years ago as well as their two vehicles...one of which is 15 years old and only has 40k miles on it) b/c they have made good decisions with their lives. It most certainly IS their right to go on trips all the time and enjoy a decade or two of pleasure before they die. What a load of crap. After working hard their whole lives, yes, they do deserve that. Seriously, you are just on a roll this morning.

You have yourself to blame for your entire life. If you are happy, fine, but don't stick your hand out at any point in time and expect me and the other taxpayers to put a roof over your head or food on your table. And don't thing you are better than the wealthy just b/c you're not working your life away. Those people have it way better than you ever will, sorry to say.
That is just a different idea of life. You seem to favor working your butt off while young and then fading life out for the last 20 or 30 years. That is not my idea at all, I prefer distributing work more evenly over the entire lifespan, but also fun, spare-time etc.
For instance retirement here is not like tapping a savings account. I read somewhere that the contributions one pays into the system today are already used up two or three days later. My future rent will depend on the contributions made by others when I am old. Rich people are foolish if they think they will be much better off later on, especially in countries which are aging fast.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Time, talent and treasure, I already said it. If you're not a churchgoer, I will explain: time is spent volunteering, talent is donating your time doing something you're good at like doctors who go on mission trips, treasure is monetary donations. Find me some stats.

I have no desire to go to Africa, thanks. But I have seen plenty of testimony about mission trips to that continent and yes, there are some generous people there, but they are doing it b/c they're thankful us greedy rich Americans are going over there to help them out.
Not at all. I never went anywhere to help locals out and still was always treated with utmost generosity.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
And therein lies the problem. You are not "entitled" to any kind of handout. That line of thinking is where you're going wrong. And yeah, if you're a freelancer of any kind and you pay no taxes, I would say you're probably lazy. You don't need to remind me of the deductions for working out of the home, mileage, mortgage interest, etc....I take them, too, and I still turn a profit even during years I don't make that much.

As soon as I pay into a insurance system, I am entitled to making use of it when I need it. That goes for both the US and Europe. If I don't meet the insurance requirements and conditions I won't get anything. But I do meet them, thus I am entitled to help if I need it.

I work from home, no car, thus no mileage, no mortgage either, just rent.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The incentive is earning that money. I doubt anybody wants to work hard if they know it's not going to yield anything. It has nothing to do with society, it has to do with how you want your life to be. Why are you thumbing your nose at those who wants yachts? If they work and earn it, who cares? Why should that person be taxed to death just b/c he works hard?????? You still have not answered the question.

I've heard plenty of people scream about how they hate the rich, tax the rich, the rich are horrible people, the rich are materialistic...but I've never heard anybody with such hatred toward the wealthy b/c they think they're wasting their lives working and need money to be happy. You should be glad the rich are working as they are the ones who fund entitlement programs.
You are making statements that are simply false. 'not yield anything' and 'taxed to death' are simply ridiculous statements when you talk about people making hundreds of thousands of $ and keeping about half of that for themselves

Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
So IF you are wealthy due to luck, how does that change anything? It is still your money.

If I win the lottery tomorrow, do my neighbors have a right to take that money from me?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Of course hard work is important, but most of the rich are also very lucky. You need luck AND hard-work to be rich. The problem with setting taxes is that people just assume that the rich's wealth is proportional to their effort. I don't think that's true. I think it's more like after a certain amount of effort, you need luck to be super successful.

That's why I think the rich needs to have more taxes. It accounts for the luck factor.

The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell talks a lot about how people become successful.
So wealth redistribution is not really the way to go, we need luck redistribution.

I'll tell you what, Malcolm Gladwell was lucky he wrote the book, and lucky he found a publisher, and lucky the stores did not place his book in the wrong section.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Of course hard work is important, but most of the rich are also very lucky. You need luck AND hard-work to be rich. The problem with setting taxes is that people just assume that the rich's wealth is proportional to their effort. I don't think that's true. I think it's more like after a certain amount of effort, you need luck to be super successful.

That's why I think the rich needs to have more taxes. It accounts for the luck factor.

The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell talks a lot about how people become successful.
What right do you have to someones money? I don't care if they won it in a lottery or earned it. It's their property not mine. I wish more people would show respect for others property and not act like they are entitled to it.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So IF you are wealthy due to luck, how does that change anything? It is still your money.

If I win the lottery tomorrow, do my neighbors have a right to take that money from me?
If you live on that little patch of land between the White House and the Treasury, you better believe your neighbors are going to take it! And without as much as a 'thank you'!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Lucky, is the beautiful woman with a knock out body who is seen waiting on tables, or just walking the streets, by a talent scout.

Lynne Baggett - discovered on her way to the Harris Department Store in Dallas, Texas, by Steven “Solly” Baiano, Warner Brothers’ chief talent scout

Moderator cut: image removed
Kim Alexia - discovered while attending college to become a pharmacist, by John Casablancas, owner of the high-powered Elite modeling agency.

But it is not about luck when someone invents a process for canned food or frozen vegitables, Rubic's Cube, the Pet Rock or the smiley face logo and put it on buttons and t-shirts.
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies