Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Again, this is an example of your poor comprehension skills. I didn't say Starbucks employees deserve to be tipped. I said they were friendly which is why some people probably tip them. Despite their friendliness, I still don't think they should be tipped for making coffee considering the price of the cofee and the amount of labor that is involved. It isn't the same as waiting tables and people who genuinely do provide a service.

Again, I didn't blame any position in particular. I blamed the organization. It is still unfair to customers to have the tip jar present as people will often times tip out of guilt or intimidation.

They are rewarded. Starbucks employees receive wages and health benefits. They are not being paid $2 per hour to wait tables and depend upon tips for a living. Please explain how I was being a jerk? I was not rude to the employees or staff. I didn't make a scene. You are just assuming this because you are being overly sensitive as a former server. You just made several ASSumptions and have no response.

Oh really, so that's what I'm saying now? Care to put any more words in my mouth? That accusation is silly. I'm simply saying we should reward those who deserve it. A waiter or waitress who waits upon me in a restaurant and provides great service deserves a significant tip because he or she is not receiving full wages or benefits and depends on tips to survive. They are also providing more service than a cashier or a Starbucks barista. That is much different than a fully paid employee that often receives benefits among other things.

And perhaps you should spend some time thinking before making assumptions about people and responding.
Poor comprehension skills? Riiiiiiiight.

Since when does the price of coffee have to do with the wages paid to baristas? How do you know they receive health benefits? Most part-timers and even many full-timers don't receive health benefits (or at least they opt not to pay their portion of an employer-sponsored health plan). Likewise, how do you know servers do not have health benefits? Again, more ASSumptions. Have you ever worked in a restaurant of any kind?

I've never seen any pizza place have a tip jar out. I do know, having worked in one before, that all credit card slips are printed with a tip line on them. Any service industry is set up that way, including restaurants of any kind plus establishments like spas and salons (I would know, I used to run a massage studio--this was something I had to set up when I got my merchant account, there was no option to NOT print the receipt that way after the account was set up). It is not the organization's fault (delivery drivers do get tips, and some people do like to tip the inside staff), nor is it the cashier's fault. By getting all upset about it, you are misdirecting your anger. Perhaps you should talk with the payment processing company. Or you could just let it go and stop getting upset about stupid little stuff.

I'm not being "overly sensitive as a former server." I'm not being sensitive at all. I'm saying you should not blame the cashier for what's printed on a credit card slip, nor should you blame the Starbucks employee for the fact that there is a tip jar on the counter.

Reward those who deserve it, yes. I assume I can infer your stance on welfare now, no? That's another can of worms, but honestly, if an hourly employee goes above and beyond for a customer, and that customer wants to reward that behavior, they are free to do so. If you don't feel like rewarding the person, so be it, nobody is asking you to. If you feel intimidated or guilty by the fact that a tip jar is sitting on a counter...I'm not really sure what to tell you. You need to be a little stronger than that and choose to not put money in the bucket if you don't feel you were given exceptional service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, if you've paid with a credit card it is filling in the space on the ticket so that they cannot add to the bill after you've left. I never leave it to question, just like never leaving a blank line on a contract or writing a blank check. I draw a line out rather than a zero, same message.
Good point, but what I usually do is put in the amount in the total line with a small line in the tip section....not because I don't tip, but because I prefer to leave cash tips rather than put them on a card.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Project much?

Bull feathers. What I am saying by not tipping at: fast food, carry out, dry cleaners, and such, is that their employer should be paying them and not expecting the customer to make up the wage gap with tips for minimal service required to sell the product. If they don't like not getting tipped then move to a type of work that does not require the customer to voluntarily make up the wage gap.
You're missing the point. Nobody expects to be tipped as a cashier. But some customers do like to tip them anyway. In my experience, the counter people don't expect tips, but it is nice when someone does give you one. These people work for the wage set by the establishment, tips are not figured into it and they do not count on these tips, if they get any, to pay their bills. Drivers and servers, on the other hand, do count on these. But not staff who make minimum wage or better.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I won't tip anyone that's getting paid over minimum unless their service is above and beyond (eg the coffee house barista that ALWAYS remembers my favourite order)
So basically we are all of the same opinion. What's all the bickering about then?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:49 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Right but let's not hand the guy at McDonalds an extra dollar because there is no tip jar out. It only makes sense to tip the Starbucks guy and the person at Papa Johns because they had a tip jar out. If they don't have one, then don't throw in an extra quarter! After all the Starbucks and Papa Johns employees work so much harder than the fast food employees, the WalMart cashiers etc. Brilliant argument!!!
There are some cases where employees can't accept a tip. I was a manager at Taco Bell, and it's policy to never accept tips from anyone for good service. There would actually be disciplinary action for accepting tips.

A buck is a buck. It's not much, and if their job means that they need tips to earn a decent wage, then I'll leave a tip. Even if that means dropping a buck in a tip jar or whatever.

ANd heck, last night, the wife and I ate out with a big group at a Japanese steakhouse, the kind where they cook the food and give you a show, and gratuity was added to the check. And we still added 20 bucks to the tip on top of that. Because the service was that good.

Bottom line is, if the service is good, and they're allowed to accept tips, then leave a tip. It's a way to award good service.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:56 PM

In both Alaska and Oregon, we have to pay servers minimum wage at least. Then they are taxed on a percentage of their sales.

I wonder if the same applies to baristas at drive throughs.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You're missing the point. Nobody expects to be tipped as a cashier. But some customers do like to tip them anyway. In my experience, the counter people don't expect tips, but it is nice when someone does give you one. These people work for the wage set by the establishment, tips are not figured into it and they do not count on these tips, if they get any, to pay their bills. Drivers and servers, on the other hand, do count on these. But not staff who make minimum wage or better.
Not true, I see plenty of tip jars at cashier stations, even at convenience stores and grocery stores.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
When I was a a cashier or counter-server (barista-type person), we had a tip jar. It wasn't intended for actual "tips" - but more a way of letting people know that if they didn't want to keep their change, it -would- definitely go to the crew, and not to the owner's pocket. In other words, the owner _allowed_ us to share whatever extra money was taken in that shift. The customers knew that too, and responded accordingly. Once in awhile someone would actually stuff a dollar bill into the jar, but really it was just an extra change depository.

This is why I'm not getting why it's such a big deal. It really isn't.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I believe that the point in the OP was that many counter people and cashiers ARE expecting a tip these days.

In my local pizza joint, there is a tip jar beside the cash register. It has a sign that all tips are split among the crew at the end of the shift. That means the cashier, the counter help, the sandwich makers, and the pie throwers all split the tips. All of these workers receive, at least, minimum wage.

I, too, use the zero with the line through it when signing my credit card slip.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Not true, I see plenty of tip jars at cashier stations, even at convenience stores and grocery stores.
Huh? Are you sure about that? Our grocery store has a couple of little jars but they seem to be for different charities.

Honestly I'd complain to management if the store here started doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies