Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 09:28 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You mean like celebrating the the birth of Christ or Christian New Year?

...and if 95% of your customers celebrate Christmas, who are you catering to if you act as if it does not exist? I know Jews who celebrate Christmas, they have a tree, lights, and they play the music. I know people who never go to church, and they also put up a tree, trim the house with lights, play Christmas music, exchange presents, and still do not go to church.

You just described political correctness. Being politically correct denotes modifying spoken words, ideas, policies, and behavior to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, religious, sexual orientation, disability, and age-related contexts.
The Christian New Year? Now New Year's is a Christian holiday, too? I mean, I know that there is Jewish New Years, and they have a numbering system much different from ours, but the whole world is on this numbering system; it's 2010 everywhere including Israel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Pavlovian Conditioning, brain-washing, inculcation, indoctrination. Call it whatever you want.

He doesn't have to provide a link.

It's called Black Friday. Everyone knows that, except apparently you. There's a very good reason why it's called Black Friday.

Look into it.

."
"He" is actually a "she". You are one of the rudest people on CD.

I saw a number last week, can't find it now on the web, that said that the fourth quarter, that is three months from Oct. 1 until Dec. 31, accounts for 30% of all retail. If it was evenly spread, the 4th Q would account for 25%, so sales are up, but not that much. The other NINE MONTHS of the year account for 70% of retail activity. That is, of course, in general, not for every retailer, but I think you get the point.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,313,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It definitely would have raised eyebrows back in the day when the Salvation Army required recipients of their charities to attend a sermon prior to receiving the charity. Happy Holidays would not have cut it back in the day when the Salvation Army was all about bringing people to Christ.
You know this how? The words "merry christmas" aren't bringing anyone to christ. Being nice to them, however, might.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,313,835 times
Quote:
The lady told me she was told not to say Merry Christmas.
Why don't you contact the Salvation Army headquarters or something and get the scoop. I told you already MY bell ringer says "merry christmas" so obvously there is a conflict between what you are saying and reality.

Some people WANT IT TO BE banned though as being injured and fighting this "battle" makes them feel like they are fighthing for Christ somehow. Please see how stupid it is...I can barely stand to watch it's so embarassing.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,035,676 times
Quote:
The lady told me she was told not to say Merry Christmas.
I know this is an old link, and it is Salvation Army
asking Canadians "Which seasonal Greeting do you prefer" in Dec.2009. It stated 72 percent preferred "Merry Christmas"
and 22 percent prefer "Happy Holidays". Maybe you live
in a "Happy Holidays" demographic area and they thought you were Canadian

Just call them and ask if this is their new policy

Which Seasonal Greeting Do You Prefer?*|*The Salvation Army in Canada

Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,433,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why don't you contact the Salvation Army headquarters or something and get the scoop. I told you already MY bell ringer says "merry christmas" so obvously there is a conflict between what you are saying and reality.

Some people WANT IT TO BE banned though as being injured and fighting this "battle" makes them feel like they are fighthing for Christ somehow. Please see how stupid it is...I can barely stand to watch it's so embarassing.
I will definitely do that and I have to go back to Sam's this week so I will "grill" the bell ringer for the name of her supervisor. Glad to know that you are giving me the benefit of a doubt.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,433,242 times
[quote=pollyrobin;17056506]I know this is an old link, and it is Salvation Army
asking Canadians "Which seasonal Greeting do you prefer" in Dec.2009. It stated 72 percent preferred "Merry Christmas"
and 22 percent prefer "Happy Holidays". Maybe you live
in a "Happy Holidays" demographic area and they thought you were Canadian

Just call them and ask if this is their new policy

Which Seasonal Greeting Do You Prefer?*|*The Salvation Army in Canada

No, I definitely live in a Merry Christmas demographic area.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
A list came out that had the names of stores/companies that no longer "did Christmas" Those are the places that we will avoid. No shopping, not eating, no buying of any kind.
A "list"? Who made up this list? Do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's one of the most stupid damned things I ever read. Hell, most of the liberals I know are Catholics. And I'll happily offend the likes of you.
A lot of the libs I know are Lutheran and United Church of Christ! Also a number are Catholic.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,035,676 times
Quote:
I have to go back to Sam's this week so I will "grill" the bell ringer for the name of her supervisor.
I hope you don't get the bell ringer fired - you know a lot of them now are getting paid: with high unemployment, Salvation Army is helping those who might otherwise need charity themselves.

I'd just let it slide, and enjoy your Christmas

Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
B. Many don't want to but their employer makes them anyway.....serving those Christmas celebrating christians in many ways...
Do you know how many Jewish holidays I've been forced to work on? And with the exception of when I worked retail, I'm always forced NOT to work on Christmas (which I'd be happy to do, since it's quite a boring day/night for us Jews). Christmas shouldn't even be a federal holiday, and you should all be forced to use personal sick/vacation days - just like non-Christians have to do for our celebrations. But oh, the whining that would ensue if that happened!! You have no idea how good Christians have it here, do you?

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-18-2010 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
...and if 95% of your customers celebrate Christmas, who are you catering to if you act as if it does not exist?
Maybe they don't want to exclude that 5%, or maybe the store is located in a more diverse area - like here in San Francisco, where I guarantee MUCH less than 95% are Christians (especially in my neighborhood, which probably has more Buddhists, Jews & Atheists than anything else). Besides, if only 5% of your patrons are Black, does that make it right to post KKK symbols all over the place? After all, the majority rules!!

Ooooorrrrrrrrr....... maybe the Happy Holidays decorations were cheaper, and the manager is on a tight budget? Who cares, and how is that any of your business? Would you like people coming to your home or place of work, and questioning how YOU choose to celebrate a holiday?

Quote:
I know Jews who celebrate Christmas, they have a tree, lights, and they play the music.
Then they're either not real Jews, or part of an inter-faith family... anyone who calls themselves strictly Jewish and celebrates the birth of CHRIST is a hypocrite. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies