Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Kat you're just jealous. Eastern Orthodox who celebrate Christmas on January 7th get benefit of everything being 50-75% off.
Christmas January 7th or December 25th?
True! I've been outed as a jealous biatch! (J/K!)

Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I hope you don't get the bell ringer fired - you know a lot of them now are getting paid: with high unemployment, Salvation Army is helping those who might otherwise need charity themselves.

I'd just let it slide, and enjoy your Christmas
I have no desire to get that bell ringer fired but I am under the impression that the majority of bell ringers are volunteers. I will call the local Salvation Army office tomorrow to inquire about their policy for greeting people passing by the kettle. On another note, I went shopping at several locations today and noticed that not too many businesses allow the Salvation Army to soliciit donations. I went to Costco today, no Salvation Army bell ringer outside. Same for Target, Marshalls, Ulta, Office Depot, and Kohl's, no Salvation Army kettle out front.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I have no desire to get that bell ringer fired but I am under the impression that the majority of bell ringers are volunteers. I will call the local Salvation Army office tomorrow to inquire about their policy for greeting people passing by the kettle.""""

W H Y ?

""" On another note, I went shopping at several locations today and noticed that not too many businesses allow the Salvation Army to soliciit donations. I went to Costco today, no Salvation Army bell ringer outside. Same for Target, Marshalls, Ulta, Office Depot, and Kohl's, no Salvation Army kettle out front.""""

ALLOW? Where do get "allow"? MAYBE there aren't enough bell ringers

So all these hundreds of posts pointing out how wrong people are about there being a War on Christmas have not affected you in anyway

"""I went to Costco today, no Salvation Army bell ringer outside. Same for Target, Marshalls, Ulta, Office Depot, and Kohl's, no Salvation Army kettle out front.""""

Was there a POINT in there somewhere invisible to the naked eye?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The problem I have with this list is that it perpetuates the distraction of Christians wrongfully led away from their own relationship with God and embrace of self discipline, engaging in religious law enforcement upon the masses. The only legitimate criticism Christians can offer one another is constructive- to point out where they've stepped away from the teachings. They are exasperatingly off point from scripture.

There is no commandment, no instruction anywhere in the Bible, that authorizes ME to come at YOU as an enforcement agent of God's will. However, when charlatans use the Bible to inflict themselves upon others for personal gain, at very minimum the 1st commandment is broken. Depending upon the given faith practiced, it can be viewed as a combination of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd commandments (Orthodox) broken by religious leaders themselves, putting hatred in the ears of the flock, and setting them loose in the world to misrepresent Christianity.

No matter our differences of which commandment # system we go by, the spirit of the law is being broken during these pointless arguments over the letter of the law. The desperate grab for religious market share is just that- desperation. It is my sincerest wish that anyone calling themselves Christians simply BE better Christians vs sales staff posse/ 'warriors' of God. Religious dueling banjo's is only announcing how very wrong they are. There is no competition with others, only with ourselves to be better people.
Then you and I have the save reaction to the list. I only posted it because someone asked to see it.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
I have no desire to get that bell ringer fired but I am under the impression that the majority of bell ringers are volunteers. I will call the local Salvation Army office tomorrow to inquire about their policy for greeting people passing by the kettle. On another note, I went shopping at several locations today and noticed that not too many businesses allow the Salvation Army to soliciit donations. I went to Costco today, no Salvation Army bell ringer outside. Same for Target, Marshalls, Ulta, Office Depot, and Kohl's, no Salvation Army kettle out front.
You should never again set foot on the premisis of any store without a bell ringer. Even if you have go without food or clothing...you have a point to make damn it!

Actually...why aren't YOU ringing the bell? Now you are under suspecion.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
The period between October 29th and December 23rd should be renamed as the "Retail -Separate you from your cash as quickly and as often as possible- Marketing Season". Because the true meaning of the Christian holiday Christmas has been lost in the shuffle and almost everyone ignores it, attempts to redefine it and means very little in 2010.

And be done with it.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You should never again set foot on the premisis of any store without a bell ringer. Even if you have go without food or clothing...you have a point to make damn it!

Actually...why aren't YOU ringing the bell? Now you are under suspecion.
What a bizarre response.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The period between October 29th and December 23rd should be renamed as the "Retail -Separate you from your cash as quickly and as often as possible- Marketing Season". Because the true meaning of the Christian holiday Christmas has been lost in the shuffle and almost everyone ignores it, attempts to redefine it and means very little in 2010.

And be done with it.
Good observation and right on.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So all these hundreds of posts pointing out how wrong people are about there being a War on Christmas have not affected you in anyway

"""I went to Costco today, no Salvation Army bell ringer outside. Same for Target, Marshalls, Ulta, Office Depot, and Kohl's, no Salvation Army kettle out front.""""

Was there a POINT in there somewhere invisible to the naked eye?
No point to be made whatsoever. I simply posted an observation.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Maybe one at a time:

"""I will call the local Salvation Army office tomorrow to inquire about their policy for greeting people passing by the kettle."""

W H Y ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies