Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I've gone to memorials where people LAUGHED out LOUD! Applauded, put quilts on display!...blew bubbles into the air !!!... threw flowers! ...and had a DRINK!
I tell ya this country's really goin' ta hek when people start celebrating LIFE!

What you are describing sounds like a wake. There are different ways to behave depending upon the circumstances. Grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 90 and would have wanted us to celebrate her life at her memorial service? Sure. Be happy. Some levity would be fine in that instance. This was a memorial for MURDER VICTIMS, including the murder of a child. The situation dictates different behavior.

You are emblematic of a generation that has not been taught.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 PM

79 posts, read 114,061 times
Tucson has been through 5 days of hurt and mourning. Now they were ready to come together to heal and help one another. The President facilitated that healing by talking to them and to us as a nation. I found it very moving. At first, the clapping seemed odd to me, but after 5 minutes into the service, I understood where they were coming from. They needed the release and the hope of future.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,409 times
Religion in its self is a political movement. As that it has an equal right to be heard as many however probably not all are religious.
If there was a prayer before a class or a lecture then there would be an issue as you have suggested.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
What you are describing sounds like a wake. There are different ways to behave depending upon the circumstances. Grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 90 and would have wanted us to celebrate her life at her memorial service? Sure. Be happy. Some levity would be fine in that instance. This was a memorial for MURDER VICTIMS, including the murder of a child. The situation dictates different behavior.

NO, what I SAID were MEMORIALS were MEMORIALS.

"""""""This was a memorial for MURDER VICTIMS, including the murder of a child. The situation dictates different behavior. """

It was a memorial for ALL INVOLVED, HEROES, and VICTIMS...their LIVES were celebrated!!! why is that so hard for you to understand...????????

Can the hatred for a few seconds ...it wasn't all about YOU.

....but maybe you should be the official Arizona State Etiquette Guru since obviously you think AZ's don't know how to act.....

PS, loosen your girdle, I'm old enough to be your grandma!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntr0py View Post
The crowd was obviously liberals.
Sorry to disappoint but AZ is not a Liberal state, but you are obviously a rightwinger.
Casper

Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
Tucson has been through 5 days of hurt and mourning. Now they were ready to come together to heal and help one another. The President facilitated that healing by talking to them and to us as a nation. I found it very moving. At first, the clapping seemed odd to me, but after 5 minutes into the service, I understood where they were coming from. They needed the release and the hope of future.
Back to hopenchange, are we? Obama's gonna give them that hope? HOW?

It was tacky and classless. Now, IF the families were reacting in the same fashion, different story. The cheering was for The One.

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Don't assume that the left approves of it. Obama is the President of the entire United States, not just left wingers or Democrats.

I didn't listen to the speech, but I don't think that there should be any religious speeches, prayers, or sermons delivered on public school grounds, no matter what the occasion may be.

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

Perhaps that it is what this boils down to - manners. Where I grew up, manners and etiquette were considered part and parcel of polite society. In addition, I was taught that manners were not so you would feel comfortable but so those around you would feel comfortable and at ease.

I believe in these lessons and pass them down to my daughter who, by the way, was watching this with me and felt the same way. She was equally taken aback and thought it wasn't appropriate to shout and yell at a memorial service. Per my young daughter, she said it sounded like the people there were at a Justin Beiber concert. Consider she is young and thus the Justin Beiber context.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Perhaps that it is what this boils down to - manners. Where I grew up, manners and etiquette were considered part and parcel of polite society. In addition, I was taught that manners were not so you would feel comfortable but so those around you would feel comfortable and at ease.

I believe in these lessons and pass them down to my daughter who, by the way, was watching this with me and felt the same way. She was equally taken aback and thought it wasn't appropriate to shout and yell at a memorial service. Per my young daughter, she said it sounded like the people there were at a Justin Beiber concert. Consider she is young and thus the Justin Beiber context.

I wonder who thought of the "blue" shirts.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-13-2011 at 05:10 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Back to hopenchange, are we? Obama's gonna give them that hope? HOW?

It was tacky and classless. Now, IF the families were reacting in the same fashion, different story. The cheering was for The One.
Hey Sanrene, can you post your source for Gabby Gifford opening her eyes the day after the shooting and telling the surgeon how many fingers he was holding up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies